LegacyGT.com

Most enjoyable mod so far- L&E steering quickener

derkahn

I have been tinkering with my obxt for a while and my most recent mod is the most enjoyable so far.

heres what I have. done so far. susp wise; perrin front and rear sways, whiteline alk,steering bushings, megans,white line roll center kit,perrin rear control arms,camber bolts, enkei 's and sticky rubber. I think that's it..?

then I talked to the guys here

http://www.landefabrication.com/racing.html

and after some hemming and hawing I finally went for it and got their steering quickener.

does my car "handle better"- probably not

can I get and extra 10th of a G in a corner- probably not

does my car "feel" 10x better and make driving more fun YES!!! absolutely.

car feels -- overused I know- Planted! really it feels way way more stable at all speeds.

all I can say is that if you have ever driven and evo8 with a firmer feeling steering rack/wheel whatever, then been disappointed when you got back in your car with the light weight vagueness that we have, then get one of these now.

steering is noticeably heavier but that is a really good thing imo.

about 2 turns lock to lock now.

still effortless to do one handed looking over your back parallel parking

no darting or twitchyness on hwy or anywhere.

that being said you do have to be aware the first day or so you have it.:)

I can now find the limits of my cars traction with ease AND be able to do something about it if need be.

I would recommend this mod to anyone. ill post links to before and after videos soon.

oh and as you can see unless you get on your back and look up at the steering column you can't tell its there.

discuss:rolleyes:

first pic is column pulled

second pic column with steering quickener on

3rd and 4th installed and fit

P1070894.thumb.jpg.7d18a31c74ab69bdbb3faa3fe9af90e2.jpg

P1070899.thumb.jpg.0fca067d5913ede0a64e3f035fcd2c2b.jpg

P1070902.thumb.jpg.c3f09713bff43edce6c892528fe4b227.jpg

P1070908.thumb.jpg.49a0827159adf8881d6c142d68414b80.jpg

totally different than just bushings.. this changes the steering ratio. ill quote smarter people than myself here "A steering quickener changes the ratio of the turns between the steering wheel and the steering box. By doing this, an input of one half of a turn on the wheel might be the equivalent of a full turn of the steeringshaft at the box. This speeds up the steering results to the driver.Thus the driver has more ability to respond to a situation in a shorter amount of time."

from this site.

http://www.stockcarracing.com/techarticles/scrp_0502_quick_steer/index.html

if I had the cash I would have gone with a Q-rack but the L&E one seems to accomplish pretty much the same thing for 1/3 the cost.. that being said I have never driven a car with a Q rack on it... and yes it COMPLETELY transforms how the car drives, I got into my buddies obxt the other day and it felt like a land yacht compared to how my car feels now.

no darting or twitchyness on hwy or anywhere.

Did you have "darting or twitchyness" before and it's gone? Or do you mean to say there was no darting or twitchyness before, and there still isn't? I feel like when I'm going 85+ on the highway my car definitely does some "darting or twitchyness" :( Especially in strong crosswinds.

• 4 weeks later...
Did you have "darting or twitchyness" before and it's gone? Or do you mean to say there was no darting or twitchyness before, and there still isn't? I feel like when I'm going 85+ on the highway my car definitely does some "darting or twitchyness" :( Especially in strong crosswinds.

the whole car feels more solid ..."whatever that vague statement is worth" I also have an antilift kit, coilovers, and that whiteline centering kit too, as well as a good alignment...so I am sure all that adds up to a different "feel"

but that being said, I have much less darting in high crosswinds too... honestly its the best mod I have done so far (ask me after my 20g is put in)

the steering is heavier BUT no so heavy that you can't drive like crazy if you want like here :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1GVVXOC6yg]YouTube- Georgetown Ice Racing: Jonny Coln[/ame]

just get it you won't be dissapointed :)

Well, I am having some power steering issues now... If it ends up being the steering column I'll do it for sure...

OT:

How's the snow in Colorodo now? My wife and I are planning a Ski vacation for the end of January and tickets to Denver are $89 RT from Boston!!!

Thanks!

lufusol, have you gotten your car properly aligned?

An ALK and performance alignment and you'll have solid highspeed feel (no twitchiness) even with a strong crosswind.

Do that first.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Archived