LegacyGT.com

Foam Pad Loop fell off!

I'm pretty sure they are called "loops"...what Velcro sticks on to.

Ya, so i was buffing my car with a foam pad from detailcity, and i guess it got a bit wet from cleaning it, and when I set the Porter Cable to 6, it spun a bit and then flew off. Velcro kept the loop side and the pad itself came off.

What should I use to glue it back together?

You should try some fabric glue...that might work. This is pure speculation, and is in no way a proven method. But next time around, you might want to try the Edge pads and pad adapter. I bought this recently, and it's a nice little system, you can use both sides of the pad, and no clips/loops and whatnot. Good luck getting this fixed. I know those pads are expensive! Also, the best technique would be to start at a lower speed and work the product into the paint, and speed up the pc as you go along...that way, it is most effective. :)

This kind of thing happens all the time with hook and loop pads. That is why I use the Edge 2000 system. No velcro to worry about.

When you are polishing the paint there is a lot of heat that is transfered through the pad to the backing plate. That heat softens the glue. If you pull the pad of and hose it down then you are going to have wet foam on your hands that the glue won't bond with. Then to make matters worse, if you spin any pad on that speed without it being pressed against the car, the laws of physics will take over and centrifugal force will tear the pad to pieces. Or in your case, seperate the foam from the velcro backing. The pad wasn't defective; it was abused.

You can't go spinning pads at that speed when they aren't against the car. Even when the velcro and the pad is dry you can still cause damage. Basic physics will tell you that it isn't good for the pad. It's like dry firing a bow without an arrow.

Anyway, the issue here isn't poor quality in the pad. However, unless it was written on the instructions not to do what you did, then I'm sure Troy will take care of things. I've never known him to be anything but ethical and on top of customer service. He had big shoes to fill when Dwayne sold him the business and he hasn't ever let me down. Give him a call or send him a PM on http://www.detailcity.org and I'm sure he'll get back with you. It is a busy time of the year and he is incredibly swamped right now, so that may explain the delay in response.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived