LegacyGT.com

Hope for double DIN after all.........

easton

Hi all,

I've been quietly lurking and plotting a way to get an aftermarket HU into the dash of one of these cars. There may be a solution.

http://accessory.subaru.co.jp/legacy/catalog/book/audio/index.html

turn to page 10, the bezel, and its part number are there. You can even zoon in on it with the applet tools.

It's no secret that this part has been available for import for a while now, but the pressing question has been with regard to the discrepancy between our 2 zone HVAC controls, and the single zone provided by this unit.

Then, I came upon this thread:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4071

and specifically this quote at the very end of the post:

"it also appears that you can swap the A/C systems control unit (single zone & dual zone) if you set the ECM for it....still reading"

Subaru's engineers are among the best in the industry, and I guarantee that the wiring harness for the JDM is the same as USDM. It would be entirely too inefficient to design it both ways. This is most likely a plug and play operation just like everything else with these cars. I can see that the display is in centigrade, but I bet it could be switched to fahrenheit pretty easily.

Now, If the "06" would just hurry up and get here..........

But... if you look a little closer... the bezel is set for a RIGHT hand drive car.. the cutout for the hazzard button is on the left corner, insterad of the required right for our cars.

If it were this simple... people would have ordered this part LONG ago

It's one simple button, I'm sure that the harness behind comes from the MIDDLE of the console, and is therefore able to be pulled to either side. I don't know about you, but It wouldn't effect me in the least if the hazard button was not in the factory location.

Can anyone who has removed the console verify where the harness originates, and whether there would need to be a splice to accomodate hazard button?

At first I was thinking that the hazard button was likely integrated into the mega pcb that the climate/radio are run off of. Looking at this picture posted by NewGTguy though:

http://legacygt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1156

It does look to be a separate harness altogether.

.o0O0o.

I believe it's more than just the button and the HVAC. I don't think the console is symmetric from left to right. So the right hand drive cars are going to have a center console plate that mirrors ours. Of couse, w/o the part nobody can say for sure.

It may be flat in front, but its angled toward the driver. That may change the angles of the unit on the inside. I've got experience trying to convert RHD pieces for LHD cars and its not easy. I gave up on stuff like this a long time ago. Its only a matter of time before someone creative figures out how to do it here.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

It would suit me down to the ground! RHD! Note that the ac controls are also different for LHD - RHD has a single on/auto button , and a split one for demister (rear glass and mirrors etc) and OFF on the small buttons, where LHD has both buttons split horizontally, and OFF is not on the push button set.

Anybody know how to get that japanese site up in English? Love that head unit set! Assuming it does MP3 anyway!

jp

Altavista is not much use with the catalog pages as they are graphics. Looks the ACC control and double din facia is Y30,450=A$370 currently. But how the hell would I order one from Oz? If I could get these, hopefully I could just install any double DIN unit - are the Subie speaker and power plugs common to aftermarket head units? Will I still need the mvigneau aerial adapter?

Are there any posters here in Japan who could investigate/translate for us?

jp

• 2 weeks later...

You don't need to read Japanese to see what the product is. Send the link for the guide to Paul at AVO ('apexjapan'), with page number and item description of what you are looking for. Pretty much, he can get the part for what the MSRP is, plus shipping (I think he gets a discount at the local dealer which allows him to make a small margin). The price is in Yen....use http://www.xe.com/ucc to convert.

I got the sport grille and the window guards through Paul.....great transaction. He'll help you if he can and tell you when he cannot. Can't ask for more than that. :D

You make it sound so easy! How do I get in touch with Paul? Can he help those who are not in USDM - I am in Oz, RHD. The first question is, Will the separate ACC controller that goes with the double din facia work on an AUSDM OBW ? The ACC button layout matches my car, so I am optimistic. The next questions are on the aerial connection to a non-OEM head unit, and power/speaker connection plugs. Dont feel like throwing A$1000 at this without some reassurance it will work.

thanks,

jp

Archived