LegacyGT.com

MSD coil?

I've been reading a lot about folks who swapped in an MSD coil on the 2nd gen Legacy. Would I expect a performance/or MPG gain over the stock coil? (assuming my stock coil is still functioning normallly). Does MSD make one that works with the EJ22 engine? I've seen people reference the MSD 8239 but sources online advise this will not fit my car.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its NOT a direct swap, I put one in my car last year..the only thing I can tell you is the idle is more even and low rpm seemed to have a little more get up and go. I did that amidst an engine replacement and I have a few more mods on my 2.2 as well.

When I get home ill find the list or you can do a diy search on the msd mod..there are a few people who have done it. I did mine based on a search from this forum.

If your having idle problems don't leave it up to a coil mod or new coil, clean your maf sensor and check your car out before doing these kinds of mods. Uneven idle could mean a few different things.

Thank you. Actually low uneven idle (running between 600- 700 RPM is one issue I'm having. What modifications did you need to make to make the MSD coil work in your car?

There is a link in the DIY section of the aftermarket guide

The 3 pin coil plug that you're referring to will make it easier. You can cheap out and do what I did, Use .110 female spade connectors instead.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/msd-coil-into-subaru-step-step-photos-152338.html?t=152338&highlight=msd+coil

I didn't notice much difference by installing the MSD coil, a tiny bit at best.

The cost of the coil and a new set of NGK plugs & wires is just a few lunches shy of a Rallitek rear anti-sway bar (with end links).

Get that if you want to improve your car.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

The cost of the coil and a new set of NGK plugs & wires is just a few lunches shy of a Rallitek rear anti-sway bar (with end links).

Get that if you want to improve your car.

the cost of the MSd coil was much cheaper than the OEM coil, so if youre going to need a new one anyway, its not a bad deal. mine was toast anyway, so i got the MSD. did i notice a difference? a little bit. the mpg didnt change much at all, and i changed out bad plugs, wires and coil all at the same time so i didnt really have a good starting reference. im going to put one on my 96 also, so ill see if there is a difference on that one by not changing the plugs and wires at the same time.

yup. the 97 impreza has the right wires tho. pretty sure the 97 legacy does also. i found a set on an impreza wagon that fit and tested out correctly in a yard, so i pulled the coil and wires. paid 24 bucks for both. coil was a spare, just in case.

After 96 they were the same coil and plugs throughout the models. I had heard not to do the msd mod to a 2.2 previous to 96 model year but the guy I heard that from was a bonehead..did it anyway and it was perfeclty fine.

The only noticeable difference I had with the newer motor was a very even idle, cleaner plugs after 6k..no pitting or burning. I used the v-power plugs fairly low resistance and the set was 14 bucks.

• 1 month later...
I was reading reviews on Amazon of the MSD coil (mostly from people piutting them in Mopars or Mini's) and several reviewers said their coils did well at first but failed after 1 to 1 1/2 years- I was curious if any of you who have done this mod can speak to how durablke the MSD coils are?

i did the MSD coil a couple months ago, and although i believe my coil didn't fail, after just 1 week, i noticed I would have to get on the gas harder to accelerate. It simply felt as i was loosing power. So i swapped back to the original coil (which has 280K miles on it) and it felt so much better.

So, i was not impressed or satisfied. I am back to the o.e. setup and she runs beautifully....

I did do the "big 3", replaced current grounds with larger wire, added grounds, bigger positive leads, etc... and i noticed somewhat smoother trans shifting...

Yup, they are powerful, msd is a more powerful and cheaper alternative much like with subarus coils. Alot of people are split on them, some say they love it some say it was a waste of time..I still have mine and I'm going to be putting it on my 2000 l after a couple weeks of logging mpg's and basically getting a feel for this car in stock form. But on my 95 l I was getting about three mpgs better with it and a smooth even 750 rpm idle.

Alot of people are split on them, some say they love it some say it was a waste of time..

i had that doubt as well when i was deciding whether to do it or not. then i priced out the stock OEM coil vs. the MSD. at the time, dealer price was 120 while the MSD was 74 and change. nobrainer there. even if it had been a lateral upgrade, the cost savings was worth it.

Archived