LegacyGT.com

Would you still buy a Subaru if you didn't need AWD?

I have a long way to go before I trade either of my Subarus, but this is a question I ask myself in light of the competition that's out there. I've driven a 2011 Legacy Premium (dealer loaner with relatively low miles) and had several turns in 2011 Hyundai Sonatas (non-turbo, non-hybrid). The Legacy feels old-fashioned and slightly outdated compared to the Hyundai. Do any of you feel the same way I do -- that you might look elsewhere if you don't need the AWD?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I can't say that I would.

When we move south, where snow isn't as much an issue, I'll probably consider something RWD to replace my Outback. It'll probably be something European.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

• I Donated
I just know I don't want FWD if I can avoid it. RWD is okay -- it's not like I have to go anywhere if it snows. But I also want 250+ hp and a sedan or wagon, so there aren't a lot of options in this price range...

In a New York minute. I have always said, if Honda made a car like these, they would put Subaru out of business.

But I do lot of winter driving...I can't afford a Audi, so this is the best option.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I think 90% of people that think they "need" AWD would suffice just fine with a good set of tires and some bad weather driving experience. I have driven in just as poor of weather conditions in on Olds Cutlass and made it fine, sure I had to tone it down, but I made it.

I like my Subaru because it is unique and offered everything I wanted at a price point others couldn't match. The AWD is nice when the roads are poor and untouched, but I pass just as many non AWD cars getting around just fine. My wife is looking into an Outback for her next vehicle because she likes the look of them and I like the Subaru quality.

However if Hyundai made a good looking wagon, it would probably be on my list.

The Sonata sure is pretty, and with the warranty they offer for the price... I'd definitely think it over, especially if it handles as well as the LGT.

i'd get something rwd, prob a 3 series instead .....i might still get an xi version for the next vehicle...

but the thing is with subarus, at their price point it's a vehicle i don't have to fret over as much, if someone dings my doors, nick my bumpers, it's whatever. i might be more concerned if i drove a more expensive european marque.

Which is why I plan on keeping and maintaining this one for 15-20+ more years from now. It will be probably the best looking Subaru that Subaru will ever make. If I ever have too buy another I'm sure I'll buy another because you don't see one everyday and I like the engine layout. That's if they will ever make a nice looking legacy gt that's not so tall and wide! I like the size of the 05-09 models! So far there is No new car out there that I like so much that I want to buy in the future. Nothing compares!

I was looking for a new car for my wife this year. The reason we ended up with the Legacy was the AWD. THe closest we could come to it was a Fusion w/ AWD but that requires a 6 cylinder. If I lived somewhere that wasn't hilly and snowy, I'd have way more cars to choose from. I went to college in NH before radial tires or FWD or AWD, so I can drive anything in snow. My wife, not so much.

I bought my current Subaru IN SPITE of it having AWD. What I really needed was a reliable, resonably fun to drive WAGON. Mazda and Subaru were the only affordable choices, and I went with the Subie and sometimes regret my decision.

My next car will almost certainly be a CPO BMW 328i Wagon. Subaru makes nothing that I am interested in anymore.

AWD is massively over-rated and a huge waste of power and fuel economy.

Archived