LegacyGT.com

noise coming from this area

the areas circled in red is from under my engine, its the exhaust pipe i know that much but the sound is coming from inside it....am i right/wrong? i thought maybe the pipe was either loose or some piece of metal was vibrating, but its REALLY loud first on a cold start, and ALL the time when i accelerate and then let off the gas pedal as well....any ideas, hints, clues? need more info? i tried to take a few landmark pictures so you know exactly where it was located....thanks in advance

1.jpg.f055b350ceb1de8171309fca995f43d3.jpg

2.jpg.4df39fc55cd3c9ed693234f72625228b.jpg

3.jpg.eb4546a0a682e3e6b9ab9ba08065e3b2.jpg

4.jpg.e3aa8b3b4de89d889e541983353c4729.jpg

hmm ok ill check that, im almost certain i have located the noise and that its actually inside the heat shielding, but ill double check the clearance, thanks for responding, let me know what you think after you watch the vids...

Yeah that is sound that resonates with engine speed. SOmething is vibrating or touching in that area could be the shielding on the manifold or the cat-pipe.Also have you checked your O2 sensors to make sure they are snug? there is a flange around each and it loose it vibrates quickly against the bung making for a very odd sound.

hmmmm thanks for the input guys. how accessible is it if I need to check "inside" the heat shield? and which are my 02 sensors? I'm fairly good following directions but don't know exact parts of a cars engine and piping...

The easiest test is to let your car cool completely (or enough to be able to touch the exhaust) crawl under the passenger side and take a rubber mallet or your fist :) and bang the cat pipe. This is how I found my rattle coming from around the second catalytic converter.

The insulation btwn the pipe and shield breaks down and when it does the shielding rattles driving the owner INSANE :lol:

hahahaha yeah man also a thing to note is that the bolts will probably be rusted to hell or just suck. I suggest trying it with a socket/wrench first then if that fails employ a hacksaw or cutoff wheel :)

If you have neither tools nor know-how a shop could remove the shielding for you for cheap .

thanks guys for the input. a friend said there could be fuel lines or power steering lines near the heat shield and it prefenvts it from boiling, Is this true or can I just remove the shield for good ?

NO your PS lines are shielded and too far away for the cat pipe to boil the fluid. Your Fuel lines aren't on that side of your car so no worries there.

You could also take the shielding off and wrap thermo wrap around the area closest to the PS rack for peace of mind:)

I didn't have much time today but I got under to take a look. Ended up taking a drill and drilled through the head of a rusted screw and popped it off. Most of the rattle is coming from the passenger side of the header. For now I just once piece of the exhaust pipe exposed; wanted to do some more reading before I got too frenzy with the whole removal. But MOST of the rattling noise is gone! woohooo!

I didn't have much time today but I got under to take a look. Ended up taking a drill and drilled through the head of a rusted screw and popped it off. Most of the rattle is coming from the passenger side of the header. For now I just once piece of the exhaust pipe exposed; wanted to do some more reading before I got too frenzy with the whole removal. But MOST of the rattling noise is gone! woohooo!

You can safely remove ALL of the manifold shielding and the cat pipe shielding.

ok so I'm unable to remove the bolts right this second, but

I found that apparently I bottomed out and cracked the

plastic shit under the car plus it distorted the heat shield ever sl

slightly so that's why it's rattling. I found that the rattle is where the joint of the shield meets at the very first part when it starts to the rear of the car....pics to come,

but now my question is, is there any "temporary" fix with some sort of rubber to wedge between the two at the joint? any heat resistant material that isn't metal, for obvious reasons?

Archived