LegacyGT.com

puddle light power source/installation help

anthonyr

hmmm I would think you need to tie them into the interior light that goes one when you unlock your car. You would have to have a long wire to go from outside the car to the interior of your car.

• 1 month later...

I did the puddle light install the other week, the OEM one. You do get the slight dimming effect with the OEM ones. They don't just turn off abruptly, but they do dim quickly. The thing is finding the OEM harness was a bugger on the passenger side. At first I thought it wasn't even there. It took quite a bit of searching to find it it was so tucked up in there and hidden. To get to it they do show you to drop the wheel well lining (which I did) however, the graphic in the install manual is very deceiving. The plug on the passenger side is pretty much up under the intake's airbox. I had to remove the airbox to get to the tape that was holding the plug harness in place. You can identify the harness by the pale red / almost washed out pink colored tape holding it in place. On the drivers side (LHD) it was easier to find but in the same general vicinity, more up towards the headlamp direction and the same type of tape holding it in place. The end of each plug has a protective cap you need to remove before plugging in the OEM harness.

Hope that helps some for anyone looking for the plugs. The OEM install was very simple and did not take too long, it was just finding the OEM harness plugs that threw me for a while.

Peaty,

2019 Imp Sport 5 Dr (Mine) 2013 Outback Premium (Wife's)

2010 Legacy 3.6R (Son), 2001 Forester S (other son)

1999 Miata (my summer ride)

• 8 months later...
... The plug on the passenger side is pretty much up under the intake's airbox. I had to remove the airbox to get to the tape that was holding the plug harness in place. You can identify the harness by the pale red / almost washed out pink colored tape holding it in place. ....

Hope that helps some for anyone looking for the plugs. .....

Thank you so much for posting this, spent ages looking for the plug on the passenger side so searched here to see if anyone else had a car without one :lol:

Glad it helped, I know what you mean. I had everything apart and looked and looked. I started to panic thinking it wasn't on my car!

Peaty,

So is this only for the 2010+ models or do the 4th Gens also have this plug & play capability? Think that was part of the OP's question.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

The OP didn't say what year and his profile does not list a car. I believe they were only offered for the 10+ MY so I assumed (possibly wrongly) that the car in question was a 5th gen. I have seen a few people do retrofits on other MY's for different scoobies. That was one of the reasons I took detailed dimensions on just the lamps. Someone wanted to know to see if they could fit them in a different year. I have that info here:

http://www.scoobymods.com/puddle-light-install-t6648.html

and the lamps themselves are the same for the Tribeca and the Legacy I know for sure because I've had my hands on both.

Peaty,

• 3 months later...
Interested in installing these on a 4'th gen Legacy. Since there is not a harness located in the fender, how difficult would it be to tie them into the wiring for the dome light? Is there a wiring diagram available that would make the install easier?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/puddle-light-install-6648.html

that links shows an install basically the same on the legacy I did. You need to register to see the pics but it's free.

Peaty,

Archived