LegacyGT.com

Leather or Cloth Seats?

talkgtr

I'm torn between a (2013) Limited and Sport.

Leather in the Limited, cloth in the Sport.

I've got a 13 year old SAAB 9-5 w/ leather and the seats are still in great condition. I question if I would get the same level of use w/ cloth seats in terms of wear and holding the seats shape. So I'm looking for any words of wisdom.

There are a couple of other considerations, the price of the Sport is attractive when compared to the Limited but the radio is much nicer in the Limited, which is a consideration,...

not a exact comparision, but I had the leather in my 05 and I prefer it much better than the cloth. Much easier to clean, looked great for a 7+ year old car, dog hair didnt get stuck in it.... my wife's OB has cloth and with 2 little kids they look like crap and stain way easier. With leather, just wipe up and move on

I prefer cloth over leather. Cloth is not as cold in the winter and hot in the summer and it ventilates better. But the "cool" factor for leather is higher.

Not all leather is full leather, some may actually be partly vinyl.

453747.png

The leather seats are a bit more supportive than the cloth ones. They won't be anywhere near as good as the Saab seats, but in this case opt for leather if you can.

This is what I've been thinking about the support aspect, thanks for the post.

The leather seats are a bit more supportive than the cloth ones. They won't be anywhere near as good as the Saab seats, but in this case opt for leather if you can.

How so? They're the same seat, correct....just different material and manual vs power?

How so? They're the same seat, correct....just different material and manual vs power?

I would think that cloth stretches & loses dimension over the years of use, leather not so much. No proof on my part, just a guess.

I am on the fence about leather. Cloth often holds up better long term. Leather is easy to clean. I once brought my two little dogs in my black cloth seat legacy and it took a few cleanings to get rid of all the dog hair. Leather can get hot in he summer.

Another down side of ordering leather interior is often many other options are lumped into the package. So unless you really like the other options forced upon you, leather can be expensive if you don't car about the other parts of the package.

I can't verify that, but the leather is more supportive whether it be the material or the foam they use with it. I found the cloth seats in my '07 to be uncomfortable in the butt area over longer drives, but I'm used to it now. Then again every other car I've ever had was either leather or a supportive Honda seat.

I can't verify that, but the leather is more supportive whether it be the material or the foam they use with it. I found the cloth seats in my '07 to be uncomfortable in the butt area over longer drives, but I'm used to it now. Then again every other car I've ever had was either leather or a supportive Honda seat.

My mistake. I was thinking OP was talking about 05 GTs (limited vs unlimited) for some reason. I've been very happy with the cloth seats in my 01 2.5RS, even for very long drives.

I just bought a 2013 Sport (I'll have to post pics and introduce myself in the new member section soon). I'm not much of a sound system guy, so that part didn't bother me. I basically chose the sport because of the carbon fiber interior trim and the 18x7.5 stock wheels (the only 2013 with 18's I believe).

Leather VS Cloth is a personal opinion and it depends on too much to have an objective discussion. Personally, I LOVE LOVE LOVE the new (2010+) cloth seats with heat warmers. I'm also a really skinny guy and end up uncontrollably sliding around leather seats when driving spiritedly, so I will always own cloth seats (or I'd have to harness in, I guess).

I've been very happy with the cloth seats in my 01 2.5RS, even for very long drives.

Eek... I have an '00 RS and the seats are one of the things I hate about this car (and I like cloth seats).

I have a Sport, and I love the cloth seats... I think they look great. I am also a pretty small girl so I hate sliding around on leather during more spirited driving. I have always prefered cloth seats though, they are warmer and more cozy.

Archived