LegacyGT.com

2.5i wagon vs. GT

fst

Im thinking about picking up a legacy wagon with a manual, so my choices are limited to begin with. Im more concerned with handling, so Im not sure if its worth spending a few grand more on a GT(if I can find one)? Ive found some fairly low mileage 05 2.5i's for as low as $12k, while I will have to spend $15k to get a GT I think. Worth the extra money for the GT? or could I just do some suspension upgrades and save some money?

If you dont mind having less horsepower and torque without any easy solutions in increasing horsepower and torque, the 2.5i is the better choice.

I got bored of the lack of power in my old 2.5i and I upgraded to the GT, I thoroughly enjoy my LGT more than I did my 2.5i, well except the gas mileage, but that's a small trade off IMO.

Though I imagine you could improve the handling, as noted, you'd be hard pressed to increase power much. Honestly, there's no comparison in my book between the NA (normally aspirated) and turbo. I enjoy it every time I drive it.

Other notes:

- Suspension: Toss on an upgraded rear sway bar on GT and you've got at least a decent handling machine. I don't believe the 2.5i has as good of suspension stock as GT, correct?

- Brakes: GT brakes are larger than NA. Throw in some upgraded pads and you have very decent brakes on the GT.

It depends on your goals: Very moddable (as far as you want to go, especially power), already solid 250 hp GT; or not much to upgrade 170 hp family wagon 2.5i (a nice driving car (we have one at work), but just not the same category or nearly as fun to drive to me). One plus is the NA is probably less maintenance than the GT since it won't have any turbo related issues.

Archived