LegacyGT.com

Faulty ABS sensor ; caused me a fender bender; any one appealed surcharge

I think you should appeal it but know that your position is basically indefensible. If the car was malfunctioning then the burden is on you as the owner for driving an unsafe vehicle, looking at it from the magistrate's perspective. If the car was not malfunctioning - and indeed it will be impossible for you to prove it was - then they will chalk it up to the speed/distance you were driving.

New tires are usually a bit slick due to the mold release compound they use. Also - Boston is a mess right now; what type of tires did you go with?

Thanks. There were three cars. The one in front if me stopped in time, but my ABS went on, in a dry tunnel, until I had to try to negotiate around him without room. It was like air in your brakes. The light signaling a problem with my ABS not on. It literally felt like no brakes and I was not going that fast. I will have to make the case.

It could be that you have a bad wheel bearing, causing the wheel's reluctor wheel to signal a spike which triggers the ABS. Never heard of this in a Subaru, but I've seen it first hand on 4wd Chevy trucks (which have similar hub assembly style wheel bearings).

Archived