LegacyGT.com

17x8 wheels vs. 17x7.5 wheels

xxxPH4r40Hxxx

I am thinking about buying some new wheels for my 2005 Legacy GT wagon from Tire Rack. I want to purchase 17 rims because I don't want buy new tires. My current tires are 215/45-17 and according to Tire Rack they will fit on a 17x8 wheels or 17x7.5 wheels. What is difference between the two rims in terms of look and fit given the that tire size remains unchanged?

Thanks in advance.

7 inch wheels are just too thin for a big car, even 7.5 at that. if you want to do it right, try and fork out the money for new tires so you can step up to at least x8's.

if you MUST stick with either of those, get the 7.5's. you shouldnt have a problem getting those tires fitted to those wheels.

At 17x8 and 215 tires your rims are going to be way out there with no curb protection at all........Watch out for curb rash!!! It will be close at 17x7.5 too.......I am running 18x8 with 225/40/18 and the rims are totally exposed to curb strikes....my next set will be 235/40/18.

Wide rims look cool but not with skinny tires ;)

At 17x8 and 215 tires your rims are going to be way out there with no curb protection at all........Watch out for curb rash!!! It will be close at 17x7.5 too.......I am running 18x8 with 225/40/18 and the rims are totally exposed to curb strikes....my next set will be 235/40/18.

Wide rims look cool but not with skinny tires ;)

I absolutely agree with you.

I have a set of 215/45R17 tires mounted on 17"x7" wheels and I found the curb protection rather minimal. My next set will be 225/45r17.

I absolutely agree with you.

I have a set of 215/45R17 tires mounted on 17"x7" wheels and I found the curb protection rather minimal. My next set will be 225/45r17.

Exactly.....My wife's Impreza runs 17x7 LGT wheels with 215/45/17 and it is marginal for curb protection....when the 215's are worn out it is going to be 225's on there too!!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b375/RM-RS/-1.jpg

Seeing as I daily drive and don't care about racing much anymore.. I'll tell you I had 17X7 with a 225 width.. and that is just max for tire width. Never got a lick of curb rash (of course I take care of my car) But really.. lots of rubber protecting it. Rubber looks nice and tall, I went with 215 on the replacements, and you could hardly tell the difference in the look. Why do you need an 8 inch wheel? For looks, for putting wide tires to try to get more grip on a turn, but honestly, you probably will never push that limit to make a difference. Make sure on the 8 inch width the offset is good enough, or you'll rub all over :) I was looking into 235, and not many people squeeze it without rolling fenders in the back, again, depending on the wheel and setup. If you're not interested in going wild, I'd stick with a 7.5 at most and 225 width.

It'll save you grief from finding the right tire size, as well as a few bucks for a slightly cheaper tire. Bigger always costs more :)

Archived