LegacyGT.com

Possibly Overtightened Handbrake

So I noticed my mileage has dropped significantly and I'm thinking its since I went home last and tightened my handbrake. I may have overtightened it causing the mileage but it really doesn't feel like it. I assume that would be an obvious thing to feel. Is it possible that the brakes a dragging just enough to drop my mileage without it feeling obvious? Or am I just driving like much more of an a$$ than I realize lately? Also does anyone know what triggers the Brake light on the dash? Is it just handle position or does it actually recognize if the brake is engaged? Light isn't on unless it should be.

can you push the car in neutral? if you can your brakes probably aren't engaged.

Pushes easily and rolls on any slight hill, must be driving more for smiles per gallon lately. I'll drive conservatively to the beach tomorrow and see if I get more normal mileage. If not I'll loosen up the cable I suppose.

the light would be triggered on handle position

Figured so, but thought I'd ask.

You wont necessary smell burning brakes cause "normal" drum brakes do drag..... so we can rule that out. can be bad tank of gas, maybe you are driving more like an ass:lol: readjust brake

put the car up in the air, spin the rear tires and see if you hear a dragging sound:)

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

You can after an hour of driving feel on your wheels. Just put your hand on the middle of your wheel. Are they warm? If yes Than is that brake for repair. The calipers don't move smoothly. Check brake oil level? Check also sensor on your gearbox.

Archived