LegacyGT.com

Need a little help with smoke issue

HEy all I have a 2005 lgt limited. I have looked and looked on here,but can't seem to find my issue I am having. I have somke coming from under my hood only when I stop? ?This has only been happening since it started getting colder over night here in Indiana. I was looking through everything,and noticed a green sludge. This green sludge is also on my downpipe. Car was just matienanced less than 2200 miles ago. Anyone have any suggestions? Last I have had no spikes in temp or issues with performance loss. It also only happens once. I can drive it after the smoke then it won't do it again until next morning after it sits. Any suggestions?

here's what'd i do.

1. rinse it clean and remember where you saw it.

2. drive normal and keep an eye on coolant temp and level.

3. see if it comes back.

if it does, worry about it then. sometimes, things just happen for no apparent reason. it could be just a one-time event.

Thanks all. I keep an eye out on coolant levels. All Levals are good. They stay constant. I am not leaking fluids at all. Just odd to me how it happens,goes away,then I can drive all day with no issues,then next morning after it sits it smokes as soon as I pull up to work.

Is it smoke, or steam?

Having had extensive experience with both recently, it's pretty easy to tell if it's oil or coolant burning off- they smell totally different and burning/boiling coolant smells pretty much like it does in the bottle- sweet, sort of. Nasty. Oil smoke is a lot different, and smells definitely burned.

Try and figure out what it is; it'll be a lot easier to track down once you know.

ehsnils---- Your dead on. I found the issue,and car is at Subaru now getting fixed. Come to find out it was my CV Boot. It had a tear and the smoke was caused from the grease getting onto the down pipe and burning off. Load of my mind that it wasn't head gasket or worse. Thanks all that had input. This forum never lets me down in finding answers,or finding someone that has had same issue as mine.

• 4 weeks later...

I fixed my CV Boot and the smoke left but now its BACK!

Car2.thumb.jpg.2abb42cb037c15c165f7a5f0f4488495.jpg

It is coming from this area labeled DRIPS above. It drips from there down to the following area. All Passenger Side and All behind the Timing Belt case.

Car.thumb.jpg.2517f2bd5d4da6d97817c2d0df53a745.jpg

Has anyone heard of this?

Archived