LegacyGT.com

Over boosting issue. New LGT owner

Ok so I'm new to this forum I just bought my first subie I love it. It's a 06 LGT 5mt in brilliant silver had 118000 mi when purchased the guy I bought it from is a small local dealer he said there was an issue with the waste gate on the stock turbo so he had it (entire turbo) replaced he had receipts for the turbo. Well I started monitoring my stats and data using an obd2 dongle and Torque Pro and soon realized I was only hitting about 10 psi boost max. So I started researching and come to find out the new turbo came with waste gate actuator lines already attached and who ever installed the new turbo never swapped the restrictor pill into the new line and I'm sure they tossed the old one so I made one at work from a mig welder tip. .045. I read the stock size pill for my car is supposed to be .049 so I figured it would maybe boost a little over stock with the smaller pill I made but I put it in and now if I do a 4th gear WOT pull I will hit 20psi and have fuel cut throwing a CEL. 13.5 is stock target correct? does anyone have any suggestions? Also I can't seem to figure out how to see my WGDC in my Torque app anyone know how to do this?

Hello there,

If you go to Subaru you can get a 100% OEM sizing and it will work properly. You do not want to increase boost via mechanical means on these cars without a tune as the ecu does anything it can to fight your changes.

Hope this helps and not sure about the torque app details when it comes to WGDC

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

So the 4 thousandths of an inch difference in the restrictor pill oriface will cause a 6.5psi boost spike? I figured that .045 was close enough to stock, not very much difference. I made my pill the same aprox length as a factory pill about 1/2in

It seems like you may potentially have other issues but I think Cyro's point is that spending a couple bucks to get the OEM pill is well worth it in order to rule out that particular piece of the equation. I'm jealous of your fabrication skills though!

As far as WGDC with Torque, I haven't seen anybody find a way to apply the right PIDs for that kind of data. I'm not 100% sure but I think what you need is only available through SSM protocol which I don't believe is supported with Torque. I would recommend you look into this:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/btssm-bluetooth-adapter-app-229709.html

OR you can get RomRaider and a Tactrix or Vag-com cable for your logging needs.

• 5 weeks later...
I really dont believe that the difference of .003in would cause an over boost that high. If I floor it in 2 gear from about 2000rpm I will hit about 19psi. I know that's bad. As far as I know the car has only been stock no mods other than an AEM dry flow filter I installed. I just want to get stock boost levels. The pill I made looks just like a oem one I can drill out to .048 if needed but I think I'm having other issues like my BCS not working correct or maybe my car has a tune on it and I don't know about it. The back bottom part of th turbo heat shield has been trimmed off so I'm thinking it may have had a DP at some point but not sure.

• 2 weeks later...
So. I got the cable and did some logging. Would anyone be able to look at these and help diagnose my issue. I machined the pill i made to a 1.5mm hole before logging. If I need to buy the factory subie hoses and pill its not a big deal but im pretty sure im having other issues. and i would really like to get everything to a base stock so that i can start tuning and modding. I want to start with a stage 1 E-Tune to smooth things out a bit. My logs were light throttle as I didnt want to really get into high boost I have been spiking too high so ive been driving the car a little easier. I did notice that my actual boost is higher than the target in my logs. Any ideas? "Cryo Tune" please help.

romraiderlog_20150423_184257.csv

romraiderlog_20150423_184804.csv

romraiderlog_20150423_184849.csv

Archived