LegacyGT.com

Fluttering turbo noise during cold mornings

Each time I start the car on a cold (below 60F) morning when there is a lot of moisture, the is a fluttering sound that comes from the turbo area. The more moisture there is the air, the noise is louder and lasts longer. I am curious if others have seen this on good turbos, or if it is a sign of impending turbo death.

Sounds like a exhaust leak, when the pipes warm up it stop's

And stop saying 60F is cold....you baby.

Southern Calif boy's....

I had 30.0F and heavy frost yesterday morning. Today was a warm 39.9F

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sounds like a exhaust leak, when the pipes warm up it stop's

And stop saying 60F is cold....you baby.

Southern Calif boy's....

I had 30.0F and heavy frost yesterday morning. Today was a warm 39.9F

I used to live in MD and IN, so I know what cold is. But man, you get used to nice weather real fast ;)

• 2 weeks later...
You know I'm having the same problem cept its at all temperatures. Once RPM's pass around 4k if I'm under medium throttle or more the turbo starts to make a fluttering noise thats rather audible. Just started to happen a couple days ago. And I just got the turbo replaced with a new stock 2000 miles ago and the clutch replaced 1000 miles ago. If its an exhaust leak like stated above how would I go about fixing that?

What do you mean, "how do I go about fixing that"?

You stop the leak. Replace a gasket, make sure things are tight, or take it somewhere to get it fixed.

Why was your turbo replaced?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Turbo was replaced because the original blew due to no oil being fed into it 5 days after I bought the car. Clutch replacement was done due to blown throw out bearing.

Edit: And a note on that, they replaced gaskets, banjo bolts, and oil lines when they replaced the turbo.

cool, now listen for weird noises coming from the engine. blown turbos mean the oil was contaminated with turbo bearing material and it circulates around the engine taking rod and main bearings out with it :cool: time will tell to see if you sustained any damage.

60* is like hell on earth here in MA. I sleep naked with the windows open and a fan on. I let those puppies air out.

TMI, right there... LOL

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• Moderators
FWIW, I've now owned an '09 and an '05. Both made noises similar to what you are describing--very light 'fluttering' noise on cold start up, and only when accelerating. Goes away once the cars heated up a bit, and doesn't bother me anymore--I'm assuming it's par for the course and chalking it up to typical subaru noises.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived