LegacyGT.com

The Kenwood KNA-G520 Navi is compatible with the DV3200?

deltabi

Dear gentlemen,

I've been reading this forum since the beginning of the year, because I wanted to buy a Subaru Outback (I'm based in Italy).

Now I'm a proud owner of a new Outback 2.5i (AT MY07) and I can finally enjoy the Subaru's driving experience!

I'm now evaluating to install a navigator in my car and I'm considering basically two options:

1) Go with the OEM navi, or

2) Buy a Kenwood or Pioneer or whatever multimedia GPS entertainment system you prefer and mount it in the AVO/JapanParts/Rallitek double din bezel

I know this has been discussed a lot of times, but besides the pros and cons of each solutions (which everyone will evaluate as he/she prefers), I was thinking of building a system which provides the best of both worlds, at least for the navigation functionalities.

I'm thinking of integrate the Kenwood KNA-G510/G520 unit with the Subaru OEM display. As far as I know the Kenwood navigation interface is not changed (at least apparently) and thus the KNA-G510/G520 should work as the DV3200 does with the (original) Subaru display, which actually is a Kenwood unit.

In this way I could get very good navigation capabilities (with the new software contained in the G520) togheter with the Subaru car information system included in the OEM display.

Is there anyone who has done the same thoughts or eventually has tried this installation?

Regards.

• Replies 280
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far preliminary test shows that it doesn't work. I did days of studying the tech documents and I agree that it should work, but scot3818 has tried it already and has had problems.

I'm tempted to try it still but don't feel like spending $300 on it right now.

Jon, thank you for the link.

I read that document and consider it a good sign, but as long as the Subaru display is only based and not actually a Kenwood unit, I believe that the information contained there are not sufficient to say that the G510/G520 can replace the DV3200.

I hope someone can provide some more specific hints.

Best Regards.

speed sensor, SD card update vs. DVD rom. I have the KNA-G510 with the KOS-702 display. It functions flawlessly. You would think the Subie Navi should work, but....

Vincedog3,

How did you manage to mount the KOS-702 display? Did you adapt the standard navi bezel ? (I suppose you also have mounted the KOS-V500 o V1000 unit, where did you place it?)

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
It doesn't work. Or at least I should say: it almost works.

I can switch TO the unit and everything works, but after about 2 minutes the touchscreen stops responding, I can then switch AWAY from the nav unit (to audio or info) but not back to it.

He was using the kenwood g510 unit.

The brain goes under the passenger seat along with the navi and other tech. The LcD screen will need a fabbed mount face to replace the sunglass cubby. hope this helps.

Vincedog3,

How did you manage to mount the KOS-702 display? Did you adapt the standard navi bezel ? (I suppose you also have mounted the KOS-V500 o V1000 unit, where did you place it?)

Thanks.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

the g510 was tried in a tribeca

i wonder if the legacy lcd touc screen is a little different. after all they hae an audio button and we do not. does anyone know hat that audio button even does.

if there are some slight differences in the screen coding maybe it wnt lock up. all speculation

xiixii what do u think

Tribeca screen is pretty much same screen as ours. Turns out our system has the AUDIO button on the circuit board too, its just not wired up to a real button.

If someone close to me had a g510 unit I can borrow I'd test it out in a Legacy, but after Scot's initial testing I'm hesitant to purchase a g510 only to get same results like him.

One thing I'd like to try though is get a hold of a KNA-3100/3200 dvd. Considering the Suby screen shows our under seat unit as a 3100, I don't see why we couldn't use the 3100 disc. Would be nice to see how the 3dmaps look over the lame 2d one we only get.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the update so far.

Hooked up the g510 unit.

Navigation displays on LCD, Destintation button brings up Nav destination function, Menu brings up the Nav menu, and the Map button brings the map up.

The info and calendar buttons can be used and switched back to the nav with no problems.

One Issue so far!!! There is no sound coming from the unit. I am looking into this. One thing I am going to do is see if I can try to hook up a headphone speaker to the g510 box directly and see if I get any sound to make sure the pins between the lcd and the unit are matching up, from what I saw and taking apart the connector it looks like wiring is all good so far.

I have not given up yet,and now will try to tackle the sound issue as its a nice nav unit that is updateable easily with new maps, custom POIS, speecams etc.

Any one have any ideas on the Nav and how the sound comes out of the current nav. Hopefully I don't have a bad unit.

Prior to hooking this up I tried to get any info I could out of Subaru, Kenwood, and Garmin, you all know what I foudn out, NOTHING.

So we are half way there. Any help fire away!!

I have verified the gvn510 is sending out voice. I hooked up some ipod headphones, the voice is very low though so I am wondering if the LCD unit needs more input to trigger it or I am missing that there is a mute wire to the LCd unit someplace from the current 3200 unit that the 510 doesn't have.

i wonder if there is a way to mute the 2007 radio either prenetly or with some sort of box like parrot car kits use.

2006 guys can probably use the radios built in phone feature to mugted the radio and put the sound through if that is possible

Nice to see another person trying. Interesting that you don't get the 2min hang up that Scot was getting.

The sound is an interesting problem. The way our 3x00 series systems work (like most of Kenwood) is through the one brown multi pin cable that Kenwood has on all their systems. In that wire is the wires for video,audio, and TX/RX data between the nav unit and the screen (its how the nav knows where you toched on the screen).

As for how you get sound on your speakers its a weird little setup. From what I've gathered on the subaru's wiring diagrams is that it runs inline to your front speakers. There are 3 signals out of the screen. 2 are your audio (L/R) and 1 is a mute signal to mute your front speakers from the stereo.

The question is does our OEM nav send a signal to the screen which sends the mute signal out in order to output the NAV's audio, or does the screen itself handle the mute/unmute all by itself.

May I ask, how did you test the audio for the G510? How are you wired up? just with the Multi pin cable to the screen?

i had the new brown multi in connector to the screen. the pinouts for audio match the lcd screens audio pinouts. i.e audio grnd, left, right. i hooked up a small earphone directly to the g510 unit to verify that there was audio coming out of the 510 unit and there was. the touch screen beeps when u use the nav and if u set to not have the beep in the new gps unit the beep stops when u touch the screen. all the subaru buttons worked and pressing map multiple time scrolled through the functions of the gps including the built in xm.

i would like to avoid using a separate owered speaker if possible

The G510 is now installed in my car. i am adding traffic to it and voice routing this week.

i am going to open a new thread with pictures and a link to a video of it in action and its features.

look for the thread this weekend. then after seeing what i did and had to be done others can decide if this is for them.

my last part of the project is muting the radio and driving the voice to be heard.

i did a test today and routing and use was great and easy

So, you got it to work?

Great!

I guess I wait for your new thread to see how you implemented the muting and see if that it is something reasonable to do. I'm guessing it does not mute the way the stock system does..

Some comments I have read about the Kenwood KNA-G510

"The only downfall on the Nav system is the volume of the voice-over commands. Even when cranked to 100% the system is hard to hear over any music you may be playing."

"The volume of the voice prompts are extreamly low and at this time, according to Kenwood technical support, there is no fix."

----------------------

Not so

1. be in Navigation Screen

2. push the F button two times.

3. go into Setup

4. then AV Interface

5. use the right Arrow down near on bottom and move to AV I/F 3

6. Adjust your Nav Guide Volume

Done!

Archived