LegacyGT.com

Strange clutch behavior

I noticed last night that when the clutch is fully depressed my 98 Legacy L seems to have the brakes on. When I release it approximately 1-2" the car will drift. Whatever the brakes are doing it is not happening with very much pressure. There is a big hill near my house and it is not enough to overcome drifting on that hill. On slight slopes it is enough to stop the car from drifting.

Is this something that is supposed to happen to help prevent drifting on slopes when taking off from a stop?

Not on a 98, don't think hill hold came out till mid to late 2000s yo likely have a sticky caliper pin or pads stuck in the saddle. Try a brake service and see if it gets better, my 97 dose the same, and I know its a sticky lower pin on my car.

Pull them apart, lube the pins and saddles with proper silicone brake lube. NOT anti seize. It drys up with the heat. Also not good for the rubber parts.

Hope this helps

I did the rear brakes last week and lubed up the saddle pins. It's just strange that its doing this only when the clutch is all the way in. I did notice my brake reservoir was over the max line so I removed some fluid. I haven't driven it yet to see if that cleared it up though.

My 96 legacy l had the hill start feature, we had to disconnect it.

^+1

Hill holder was a std feature on most Suby manual cars starting with the 93 Impreza!

IIRC 98 was the year it was discontinued.

O.

Archived