LegacyGT.com

VF52 actuator choices?

I just bought a VF52 in mint condition, but the actuator's no good (bent rod and compressed air can't get it to move). What choices do I have as far as aftermarket actuators go? I'm planning to hit as close to 300WHP as possible with this turbo and my *cough*5EAT*cough*.

I hate how my stock VF40 falls on its face at higher RPMs, so the VF52 is there to broaden the power band a bit, but I have no clue which actuator will allow it to hold as close to the desired peak boost as possible all the way up to redline.:spin:

PM "m sprank" he can sell you what you need, or tell you what you need.

He's a trusted member on here that helps out with info for free.

Support him when you can.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You'll be hard pressed to hit 300 with a VF52 on a 5EAT unless you have access to E85. I believe AVO makes an actuator for the turbo as well. If you really want to hold pressure an External wastegate would be the way to go. My VF52 was experiencing boost creep with the stock actuator.

I love my turbosmart IWG

You'll be hard pressed to hit 300 with a VF52 on a 5EAT unless you have access to E85. I believe AVO makes an actuator for the turbo as well. If you really want to hold pressure an External wastegate would be the way to go. My VF52 was experiencing boost creep with the stock actuator.

That's why I said "as close as". I do know an E85 station in the Bay and I did just get 850cc injectors, so I might try some of that corn juice down the road at some point, but I want to get as close to 300 as possible with our crappy 91 pump gas for daily driving. :)

The cost to convert to external wastegate would far exceed the cost of getting an aftermarket actuator. The biggest problem with going external is that I'll need a shiny aftermarket uppipe. As far as catless uppipes go, only the '07 STI one has managed to fool smog technicians here so far.

Between Turbosmart and AVO, which is the better bet for performance? I do like the OEM'ish look of the AVO......

So you don't have a 3" down pipe ?

See my sig for whp on stock fueling.

I do. CNT catted downpipe. OEM catless uppipe. I keep the stock downpipe around for smog runs, but to do uppipe and wastegate as well is way too much work. :p

As for fueling, I have DW 850cc injectors ready to be installed, and a DW65C pump that I'll probably order next week and receive after New Year. The IDC on stock fueling is already going over 90% on Cobb's OTS Stage 2 so I don't want that to be the bottleneck when I go in for the tune. I'm gonna pop down to the tuner next Monday to schedule an appointment, and I'll just put all my mods in and stay out of boost on my way there the day of.

I've been doing some digging and I can't find the AVO actuator in stock anywhere. Can anyone with the Turbosmart IWG share results?

Who are you working with in the Bay Area for tuning? Curious how it goes with your mods and tune. I decided to stay on the conservitave side for now and etune.

I'm not working with anyone yet, but I'm planning to go to GST Motorsports once I have all the parts.

Archived