LegacyGT.com

1991 Legacy L Sedan AWD

So I was told that I need a new front left axle because there is a clicking noise when I turn sharp. I can't imagine really needing a whole axle so what do I really need to check out and replace?

Whoever told you about the axle meant to say CV Shaft. Axle was probably just an easier term to get you to understand what he's talking about. Sometimes they're called CV axles, CV shafts, half shafts, or just plain axles.

When you heard the term axle, one of these probably popped into your head.....

http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/images/jk%20rubicon%20rear.jpg

The part you're looking for is one of these....

http://www.emrockatv.com/images/CV%20SHAFT.jpg

Usually when these go bad you hear a ticking when turning, especially when turning hard in one direction or turning while accelerating. The part costs $67 from Autozone after the core has been returned. It takes about an hour and a half to install. I made a writeup a while back on how to do it, so if you search you might be able to find it.

In short, the assumption that the axle is bad was correct, but it's only $67 to fix it and it's not as bad as it sounds. You do want to fix it though, because if it breaks with the car in motion it can potentially cause massive damage to the steering/suspensions if not the transmission itself, as well as potentially causing a loss of control.

Haha, thanks. I do actually know what CV's are. My Nissan 300zx has them, I just used the term axle to get ya'll to know what I was talking about.

I didn't think they are that cheap, do they come like that picture with all the boots and everything?

Sorry about that, I didn't mean to underestimate you. :redface:

And yup, they come just like the picture. Usually it's a refurbished shaft and spinles with new joints, boots, and hardware. These cars are so old now you literally cannot find them completely new, same with most cars.

I got one from the junk yard for $16 that looked pretty new. The old one had the castle nut baked onto there. Spent 7 hours total drilling through it and was hoping to chisel it off, but ended up having to replace the whole hub which was another $25. Cheap fixes most of the time, but look around. So far I've driven from Lakeland to Melbourne 6 over the past 5 days for a total of about 800 miles when driving around town was included and I also went rallying one of these days of my vacation for about another 200 miles and drove to Winter Haven/Auburndale for another 50 miles and the junk yard shaft seems to be holding up well. No clicks, no rips. It's a cheap part new, but since these parts are often replaced you may be able to find junk yard ones in like new condition for cheap ;)

I got one from the junk yard for $16 that looked pretty new. The old one had the castle nut baked onto there. Spent 7 hours total drilling through it and was hoping to chisel it off, but ended up having to replace the whole hub which was another $25. Cheap fixes most of the time, but look around. So far I've driven from Lakeland to Melbourne 6 over the past 5 days for a total of about 800 miles when driving around town was included and I also went rallying one of these days of my vacation for about another 200 miles and drove to Winter Haven/Auburndale for another 50 miles and the junk yard shaft seems to be holding up well. No clicks, no rips. It's a cheap part new, but since these parts are often replaced you may be able to find junk yard ones in like new condition for cheap ;)

Jesus, that sounds like a nightmare! That makes me thankful that mine went so easily!

Whoever told you about the axle meant to say CV Shaft. Axle was probably just an easier term to get you to understand what he's talking about. Sometimes they're called CV axles, CV shafts, half shafts, or just plain axles.

When you heard the term axle, one of these probably popped into your head.....

http://www.alljeep.com/oscommerce/images/jk%20rubicon%20rear.jpg

The part you're looking for is one of these....

http://www.emrockatv.com/images/CV%20SHAFT.jpg

Usually when these go bad you hear a ticking when turning, especially when turning hard in one direction or turning while accelerating. The part costs $67 from Autozone after the core has been returned. It takes about an hour and a half to install. I made a writeup a while back on how to do it, so if you search you might be able to find it.

In short, the assumption that the axle is bad was correct, but it's only $67 to fix it and it's not as bad as it sounds. You do want to fix it though, because if it breaks with the car in motion it can potentially cause massive damage to the steering/suspensions if not the transmission itself, as well as potentially causing a loss of control.

ill try to make this easy to understand. the first pic is the rearend with a straight piece of tubed metal to the brakes. there are axles INSIDE. so basically in lamins terms, the bottom pic goes inside the piece from the rearend to the brakes in the top pic. the top just means its a SOLID axle design. the bottom pic means its independent from the other side allowing seperate travel for each wheel.

if u have ever watched "my cousin vinny" movie when the hot Marisa Tomei explains the difference between independent and solid axle designs in the court room.

so yes, anything that goes from the wheel to the rear or trans is an AXLE. the center piece that drives rear wheels is a driveshaft.

Actually, the pieces you're talking about (You called them axles) are called halfshafts. Anyone who has ever worked on anything other than a Subaru would know this term. The parts that go from the differential in a stick axle to the wheels are HALF SHAFTS. Also, you want to avoid calling a stick axle/rear end/rear axle a "Solid Axle". This term is usually used to describe a stick axle with a locked differential. Anyone who's ever wheeled anything off-road other than a Subaru would know that. The correct terminology for this part would be... Stick Axle, Rear End, or Rear Axle.

And if you want to get technical with me the lower pic is actually called a CONSTANT VELOCITY DRIVESHAFT (CV Shaft).

Now, if you don't mind, could we stop arguing over what an axle should be called? It's a f***ing axle, OK, can we agree on that?

I underestimated the OP. I thought that I would put my post in laymen terms as much as possible until I knew the experience level of the OP. Now that I know he's proficient with auto repair, there's no need to put things in baby terms anymore.

In other words, quit nit-picking me. I'm sorry for whatever I've done in the past that pissed you off, but get over it. We're on the internet here, it's nothing to lose sleep over.

Actually, the pieces you're talking about (You called them axles) are called halfshafts. Anyone who has ever worked on anything other than a Subaru would know this term. The parts that go from the differential in a stick axle to the wheels are HALF SHAFTS. Also, you want to avoid calling a stick axle/rear end/rear axle a "Solid Axle". This term is usually used to describe a stick axle with a locked differential. Anyone who's ever wheeled anything off-road other than a Subaru would know that. The correct terminology for this part would be... Stick Axle, Rear End, or Rear Axle.

And if you want to get technical with me the lower pic is actually called a CONSTANT VELOCITY DRIVESHAFT (CV Shaft).

Now, if you don't mind, could we stop arguing over what an axle should be called? It's a f***ing axle, OK, can we agree on that?

I underestimated the OP. I thought that I would put my post in laymen terms as much as possible until I knew the experience level of the OP. Now that I know he's proficient with auto repair, there's no need to put things in baby terms anymore.

In other words, quit nit-picking me. I'm sorry for whatever I've done in the past that pissed you off, but get over it. We're on the internet here, it's nothing to lose sleep over.

first off, calm down. im not picking on you.

and i do work and off road my own trucks...

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/54/l_0c56e7c3e73760de6b229e26a06b1252.jpg

all these TERMS you are coming up with make it confusing for the avg guy who wants to fix there car or truck. when you go to the auto store, even they refer to them as AXLES. not cv shafts. there the same thing. axles drive the wheels.

also, when u make a post that can be published because you type so much you make it confusing for whoever tries to read it. simple answers would be sufficient.

were all here to help, sorry if u thought i was picking on u. i to didnt relize the OP was a pro at fixing his own cars. otherwise this thread should have never been made if he knows what hes doing. if an axle makes noise or clicks, simply replace the axle.

nuff said, have a nice day.

Dude, knock it off. His very first answer to my original question was perfect. Now you are going against yourself and sounding like an idiot. And actually when I just bought my new CV's I went in and asked for, wait for it, "CV half shafts" and they game me the right part.

Just for your personal records I believe I was asking if the whole axle needed replacement vs just one joint in it, not knowing they were 50 bucks a pop for the whole thing. Now that I know they can't and the axles are so cheap I am set and will be swapping them out soon.

So if you will kindly and respectfully shut the hell up we can go along our peaceful ways and stop acting like children.

http://www.1aauto.com/1A/Axleshaft/Subaru/Legacy/1AACV00011/322390?utm_source=google_base&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=google_base_yr

$77 bucks right here

some local parts stores may even give you a core charge for the old one. normally i dont do autozone/advance axles cause they are cheaper than cheap and suck...but then again the stuff i get from bap geon prolly isnt that much better :lol:

It's not a complicated procedure unless the castle nut screws up. What I did to get the pin out of the transaxle end was bought a $1 screwdriver, cut the head off and used it as a punch. It'll save you from buying a punch set.

Dude, knock it off. His very first answer to my original question was perfect. Now you are going against yourself and sounding like an idiot. And actually when I just bought my new CV's I went in and asked for, wait for it, "CV half shafts" and they game me the right part.

Just for your personal records I believe I was asking if the whole axle needed replacement vs just one joint in it, not knowing they were 50 bucks a pop for the whole thing. Now that I know they can't and the axles are so cheap I am set and will be swapping them out soon.

So if you will kindly and respectfully shut the hell up we can go along our peaceful ways and stop acting like children.

calm down keyboard cowboy, no need for for that. i never said cv's werent axles, you joined less than a month ago and your going to tell me to stfu?? now you sound like a little boy. i simply answered your question in the begining of this thread.

they are called axles. they can be had for between 55 and 75 bucks from ur local auto store. dont forget to bring in ur old ones for a core credit.
was that not what you did in the end... hmm, gee. cause it was the best thing to do in trying to help you save money, time and headache. if you havent noticed. most of my comments on this forum have been to help others. ive been working on subies since the mid 90s. so the next time you ask for help, ill simply move along to the next thread.

have a nice evening.

You always get that stuck up rich ass on every forum, I really am tired of this. I get on forums to ask the complicated questions that I havn't had to deal with in real life yet or to ask certain advice when I have questions. So whatever, I really don't need your input.

Have a good one

Archived