LegacyGT.com

Mobil 1 Good or Bad???

I have done plenty of research on the forum so far and it would appear that some have had good experiences with Mobil 1 and some have had bad experiences.

I have a 2.5GT so obviously I am running a turbo. I have an oil change approaching in the next 1,000 miles or so. I was told very strongly by my dealership not to use Mobil 1. Now I hate not to trust a dealership, but in doing research and in my past experiences (Mazda 6 3.0L), Mobil 1 was great.

Now I have also read some threads about blown engines using Mobil 1 exclusively. Whether this was a bad engine, or due to Mobil 1, I guess nobody knows.

So my questions are for 2.5GT owners only:

1. If you use Mobil 1, have you had any problems?

2. How long have you been running Mobil 1?

3. If you are not using Mobil 1, what are you using? Is it synthetic?

Anybody feel free to offer their opinion. I care a great deal about my cars and want to take care of my LGT!

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. (5w30) No problems out of the ordinary. In my old Prelude it burned more easily than regular Valvoline Max Life so I stopped using it on that car.
  2. Bought the car with 23,000, I'm at 43,000 now so about the last 20,000. I did use some dino Castrol for one oil change when I was in a crunch on time.
  3. N/A

I'm going to stop using it. I plan on going with Amsoil for now and see how that goes.

I would like to see clarification which Mobil 1. I assume 5W30 but assumptions are not facts.

Question for FLASHMSTRC. How often do you change oil?

Krzys

PS. I was using Mobil 1 5W30 from 7500 miles (first oil change) with 7500 OCI. Currently I have 60000. No problems detected.

PS2. I tried to switch to GC (German made Castrol Syntec 0W30) and my previous oil change was with this oil but Autozone stopped selling it and I cannot find new source.

Switched to Mobil1 5w-30 and had issues with excessive oil burning. Switched to Penzoil 5w-30 and have no issues with oil burning.

Some people have issues with Mobil 1 and others do not. I've had issues with it in my previous car as well.

1. If you use Mobil 1, have you had any problems?

I have used it before and I've had problems. I switched to Mobil 1 around 1,500 - 3,000 miles

2. How long have you been running Mobil 1?

I ran it for about 6,000 miles

3. If you are not using Mobil 1, what are you using? Is it synthetic?

Penzoil 5w-30

........... I care a great deal about my cars and want to take care of my LGT!

Then spend some money on used oil analysis to determine if M1 works well for YOUR engine and YOUR operating conditions.

IMO, the 2.5L turbo motor is better protected by one of the thicker 30 weight oils. That's my 2 cents.

Then spend some money on used oil analysis to determine if M1 works well for YOUR engine and YOUR operating conditions.

IMO, the 2.5L turbo motor is better protected by one of the thicker 30 weight oils. That's my 2 cents.

Salty balls :lol:

How can it stop, seems that there are so many mixed reviews...people love it and people hate it because they had their engine blow????

Another month, another oil thread. They get the most views and the most opinionated comments of any.

To stay on topic I might as well answer the questions.

1) First change with M1 5w30 syn, not enough usage to constitute adding any, since my next change is due but the dipstick reads about 1/4" from full.

2) 2500 miles, since 2500 on the odo

3) M1 5w30 since first (and only) change

Friend of mine blew his stock motor using only M1. No mods power mods. Note completely stock WRX other than rims/tires. Had excessive consumption before that. Motor was replaced under warranty. Many have reported consumption problems with this.

Friend of mine blew his stock motor using only M1. No mods power mods. Note completely stock WRX other than rims/tires. Had excessive consumption before that. Motor was replaced under warranty. Many have reported consumption problems with this.

and this was an oil related failure due to Mobil 1? prove it or don't post crap like that again. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Ticking time bombs :hide:

You should switch to JDM market Castroil.

no kidding i wonder if Chevolet, Porsche, Ferrari and many others who specify Mobil 1 in their cars know this. :confused: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

+1 on what Bosco said. I have had great experience with Mobil 1 in past cars. The only way I will believe a blown engine is a result of Mobil 1 is to have some sort of proof...

So until then I refuse to believe that an engine is ruined because of Mobil 1. However, does seem like keeping a very close eye on the dipstick will be important the first time running it.

Archived