LegacyGT.com

Parking brake stuck solid :(

Washed the car two weeks ago after an ice storm. Parked it in front of the house. Went out today (60 degree weather) to take it for a spin, and the parking brake will not come off.

There is rust all over the rotors. I'm sure this is the issue. Tried to break them free until the clutch started to smell. I gave up.

Suggestions? Would WD-40 help? Is there something else I can spray on there? Should I take the wheels off and try to pry the brakes loose?

BTW, I've listed this car for sale on Autotrader, and had pretty much ZERO response in three weeks time. At this point, I'm ready to give this car away, and I'm considering having it towed to the dealership, having them make me an offer, and forgetting about it.

If anyone is interested in an '05 Legacy GT Limited 5MT, with 42,000 miles, PM me. Seriously. I've had enough.

The car is completely stock, pearl white. I've just lost interest in it, and own two other vehicles. Its been my experience with this car that is does not like to sit for extended periods of time, even in the garage.

--

rust on the rotors is normal. Your troubleshooting methods should take into account that the parking brake is a drum brake and does not involve the rear caliper.

It does surprise me that you aren't able to break them free by just attempting to roll the car in 1st or reverse. Perhaps removing a wheel and baning on the rotor drum surface with a dead blow would free them up. Worst case, you could always slide the caliper up and pull the rotors off.

Have the tow truck driver put the rear wheels on a dolly, and tow it to your dealer. More than likely, both the parking brake pads and the disc pads have attached themselves to the drum and discs.

On the other hand, WD40 might work, but will ruin the pads.

just one thing i learned years ago...

never use your E-Brake overnight if you can.

last week it was so cold during the day, i got to work put E-brake on like i normally would. after work... i had the same problem, it finally went but man it smelt bad...

BTW, I've listed this car for sale on Autotrader, and had pretty much ZERO response in three weeks time. At this point, I'm ready to give this car away, and I'm considering having it towed to the dealership, having them make me an offer, and forgetting about it.

If anyone is interested in an '05 Legacy GT Limited 5MT, with 42,000 miles, PM me. Seriously. I've had enough.

The car is completely stock, pearl white. I've just lost interest in it, and own two other vehicles. Its been my experience with this car that is does not like to sit for extended periods of time, even in the garage.

--

Where you located?

Seriously guys, there's not a rust-removing spray or something that can help me with this? Those brakes are locked on solid back there.

Sure there is, its called PB Blaster

http://blasterchemical.com/images/images/products/PB-ts_lg.jpg

Just not sure I'd spray it on my brake shoes.

Tulsa is a bit far for me...Sorry about your grandpa man. Before you go spray crazy, trying lifting your e-brake handle and releasing it a few times. It will probably unlock. Do this by lifting the e-brake as little as possible and then releasing fast. I had this happen with my Honda Accord once and it's been great since.

Archived