LegacyGT.com

"PZEV"-- Does it affect performance?

Wow, there are some dudes in here that are pretty into themselves apparently.

They apparently forgot that this is NOT the turbo section. If I wanted a turbo, I would have gotten one. Sheesh!

Get over yourselves, embrace natural a$piration. Provide substantive comments please.

If so' date=' how can a PZEV engine be improved?[/quote']

It can't be. No changes you make will ever be worth your money or the drawbacks of the modification.

I believe all 5th gen 2.5i's are PZEV, and I know it was extremely difficult to find a non-PZEV 2009 when I was looking at N/A Outbacks. There was a difference in the catalytic converter, the PZEV one being slightly more dense, and obviously ECU tuning. Probably a few other small things, too. I didn't care enough to research it fully, but I knew I didn't want one when I read about the drive-cycle differences and the fact that they were noisier and rougher at idle than non-PZEV variants.

Is that a substantive enough comment?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I believe my 06 is a PZEV, but I'm not entirely sure. If you look at the specs the power is only slightly lower.

Bottom line:

My car is still fun to drive

I get lots of complements

I can get 30+ MPG highway (27-28 max with starspecs)

My NA can keep up with turbo models once up to speed, and is faster than many around twists and turns due to my suspension upgrades.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

My NA can keep up with turbo models once up to speed

No it can't.

Unless you mean "up to speed" as in both going 60mph. Then, yes, it can keep up when cruising at the same speed.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Just enjoy the best looking sedan that happens to be the slowest. I love my 2.5i, if I wanted something faster, I would've gotten a GT, or a WRX. PZEV or not, you will never make it fast unless you've got some coin to spend .......

No it can't.

Unless you mean "up to speed" as in both going 60mph. Then, yes, it can keep up when cruising at the same speed.

Last cruise I attended I broke off with 2 WRX's and 2 STI's, I could take most of the corners faster than they could. :lol: But, whenever we came to a stop... :spin:

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

My car is a PZEV. I turn it off every night.

No performance impacts by having a PZEV and there aren't very many CHEAP methods to improve things, sorry.

OK, so be it.

I will just enjoy it as is, knowing that Subaru did the best they could with the constraints of a PZEV. I'll just make up for it with my precision driving skills ;).

Cheers!

Well Subaru made this car to move people around effectively and efficiently so that is why its a "wet blanket" to performance minded folks. But you have the right mindset in making this car a handling phenom you can throw some money at the suspension and tires and have a great handling ride

I think the main difference between the standard N/A and the PZEV N/A is the computer and the Cats. I my self keep finding my self pondering as to what to do to make my Subie have a bit more punch. I've thought about lighter crank pulleys, intake manifold spacers, intakes, exhausts, tunes etc. But when I look at cost to real life results, I can no longer justify it.

Unfortunately, if your in for a faster more "fun"car, TRADE in for a GT or spec. B. If you want to keep the MPG and the stock car look (keeps the cops off esp. in a college town), stay with the PZEV. Not only that but you'll know that you don't contribute to urban smog the way most cars do.

I thought I had read somewhere, where some of the earlier Subaru PZEV's have a charcoal secondary air filter to 'absorb' any fuel vapors that may come out of the intake manifold when the engine is off.

When the engine is running, it sucks the vapors back in and burns them in the combustion chamber.

Joel

Archived