LegacyGT.com

Can HID kit cause fire?

AnthonySzum

I have a hid kit from DDM Tuning. 35w 5000k setup. I was told my the dealer that some Subaru's have a weak spot in the stock wiring and can cause a fire because the HID pumps out too much power and the stock wiring harness cant handle them. Has anyone heard of this? I have them installed in the fog lights now and going to install them in the low beams next week. Any input is seriously appreciated. It would be going in a 2011 Legacy 3.6R limited.

Thanks in advance guys,

-Anthony

I just did a SEARCH for "HID" + "fire"...and got no results. Well...other than people talking about the bulbs "firing up".

I think about 85%-90% of the members here have HIDs, so if there was a fire issue it probably would've been posted by now.

The only time HIDs pull more power is during initial start-up. After the bulbs are warmed up they actually pull less power than most halogen bulbs.

There is a slim chance for fire in any car that didn't originally come with HIDs during that initial start-up but it's very rare. If you're that worried about it you can always get an aftermarket wiring harness which is designed to handle HIDs.

Thanks guys. This is probably a dumb question but is the fog light lens from the outside supposed to be ridiculously hot to the touch? My headlight isn't hot and I dont remember the fog lights on my other car being this hot.

BTW, this is my first subaru and love it.

Also correct, but if you keep blowing the fuse and put a larger fuse in to fix the problem, you're not fixing anything. At that point, the problem isn't the fuse, it's the operator.

My foglight lens is hot to the touch with the stock bulb in it (gen 5 leggy). Most of the hid kits are 35 watts which pull less power than the factory 55 watt bulb. Unless (like stated above) you go with the 55 watt hid kit you will need a harness upgrade (that kinda doesn't make sense does it, lol). All of the power for the hids is formed in the ballast which then ignite the gas in the bulb. Dealerships like to point fingers at everyone but themselves. I deal with multiple dealerships all the time, it goes on everywhere. But be nice to them cuz they can screw you, lol

Archived