LegacyGT.com

NA to turbo

There are a few mods you can do to the engine to help it out a little with a little $$$. Intake kit, exhaust, and borla headers. This should give you a little more performance. A turbo kit is a waste, if you trade your car in and get a LGT you will be saving money compaired to adding a turbo, not to mention all the extras the LGT has over the 2.5i

I was wondering about this myself, just as a curiosity. I was looking at possibly moving to an '05 LGT LTD Wagon 5MT and since there aren't many of those out there was thinking maybe you could get a 2.5i 5MT Wagon and upgrade it. What, specifically, is the expense? Complete intake, turbo, IC, exhaust, and AP? Or are the engine internals all different, as well? I was thinking they probably are, due to the different compression.

The other thought I had is: would it be possible to swap trannys to turn a 5AT into a 5MT, assuming you had a donor car? Swap everything between the flywheel and the wheels, or is there too much of the vehicle electronics system involved? Just a theoretical exercise; I've decided to stick with my sedan, anyway.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

As RangerMan mentioned above, an extra set of camshafts and different pistons make for a fairly large difference, hehe.

Same goes with the block themselves (semi-closed deck on turbo motors), fuel injectors, maybe fuel pump...

Could make shortcuts, but it won't be as stout overall for the same price as just looking for a used GT after selling a NA.

As RangerMan mentioned above, an extra set of camshafts and different pistons make for a fairly large difference, hehe.

Same goes with the block themselves (semi-closed deck on turbo motors), fuel injectors, maybe fuel pump...

Could make shortcuts, but it won't be as stout overall for the same price as just looking for a used GT after selling a NA.

+1,,,a few years back guys were putting turbo kits on the 2.5 na Subaru RS,IMHO,way pricey,not reliable,some blown motors etc.

Your also talking ecu/wiring swap nightmares etc,,

Like others have said,,not a good idea:icon_wink

Be content with what you've got. Wait til your headgasket blows and 120K miles :icon_wink and then swap up to the STi motor and drivetrain.

...but if you insist on boosting, trade up to the LGT. Trust me, you'll save yourself so many headaches by not having to fabricate.

• 2 years later...
Anything is possible with enough money, time, sweat and blood but why reinvent the wheel? Turboing the NA 2.5 is so last millennium:lol:. Sure it can be done but with factory turbo motors readily available it seems rather silly to me.

If you'd rather not trade up to a GT, why not save and wait for the Rallitek turbo kit? The timeline is looking a little long, but atleast you'll have set enough money aside in the event you have some expensive repairs.

Archived