LegacyGT.com

I want to keep mine a long time- hints?

My 2005 (new in 04) Legacy GT 5MT Wagon is at 112,000 miles. Mileage has gone up more slowly the last few years as I ride my bike (Ducati Multistrada) when I can, and we tend to use my wife's Forrester for long trips as she prefers the automatic :mad:

No engine work, but I've improved handling and braking with JDM Bilstein struts/shocks, SS brakelines, Hawk Pads, and Volks forged wheels. Put an aftermarket stereo/GPS in the cubby space, power amp and better speakers, re-located the top instrument cluster to the ashtray with a little JDM adapter. HID lights as well.

Its been VERY reliable- some bad fuel injectors, after the second one went bad, dealer replaced all of them at 60K and no problems since. I re-did timing belts, oil/water pump, and seals at 100K. Oil changed every 3K with semi-synthetic- when I tried full synthetic it used a lot quart in 3000 miles!) Uses maybe 1/4 quart in 3000 now.

I've decided I'd really like to drive it for a long time. I really want to stay with a wagon- I do a lot of bicycling and being able to throw it in the back has spoiled me. Ive looked and nobody makes a wagon that has 250 HP, excellent handling, AWD, and gets 20 mpg overall (albeit with premium). I still like a manual, too :rolleyes: Audi and BMW's small wagons are over $40K new and have less power and poorer mpg! So putting several thousand into it and driving it say another 5years is VERY cost effective.

So- what should I do to keep it running long and healthy? I'm due for a major service at 120K- anything I should have them look for/do? Are mild engine mods (i.e. pipe/airbox) likely to affect durability?

Get it of the OEM tune. The factory MAP is not good for these cars.

Keep the oil topped off, never let it get low.

Keep up the fluid changes, it should run for a long time.

A vendor here, TuningAlliance.com does my tuning needs.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The lesser you drive, less wear and tear. If you want it to last forever, try not to drive as much as you can help it. It's a sacrifice in life that everyone goes through. But on the other hand....these cars are more appreciated by driving them.....

Read this thread for ideas to help with reliability.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/reliability-modifications-178342.html?t=178342&highlight=reliability

You need to maintain the car for the way & condition's you drive it. I have over 207k on my 05 LGT. Still have the original motor & VF-40 turbo.

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

Archived