LegacyGT.com

What kind of MPG is your 2.5i getting?

I was curious as to what kind of gas mileage all of my fellow 2.5i's are getting.

Some things I am wondering is highway vs city. Also, if there are any mod's or maintenance routines that help you achieve better gas mileage please include. What I have found is that I have a hard time hitting the stated EPA estimate of 23 mpg city. I purposely went through a tank of gas driving like a grandma. Still only hit 22.6 mpg. All in all that is not bad but I would like to see an increase. As far as highway mileage, I crush the 30 mpg. I took a road trip from Western New York to New York City with plenty of log jammed traffic and still got 33+ mpg. And I was not driving slow. Averaged about 80 mph. If I drove at 55-65 mph it would be even better. I've had the car for almost 8 months and this has been my first long trip (apprx 900 miles).

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do about 480 miles a week highway. I was doing pretty bad around 25-26mpg for awhile. Changed my air filter, plugs and cleaned my PCV and I just got 30 on my first full tank. Usually travel 65-75 on the highway and I have a manual transmission.

One thing to keep in mind is the computer MPG reading and the actual calculated (miles / gallons) are not always equal...On my last one my computer said 31.2 but I calculated 29.6.

One thing to keep in mind is the computer MPG reading and the actual calculated (miles / gallons) are not always equal...On my last one my computer said 31.2 but I calculated 29.6.

I consistently read about two under as well on calculated vs computer. On a six hour drive I just took I only got 25. I was rather disappointed at this, but it was a rather hilly and twisty drive so lots of change of speed. Maybe I should do my plugs. I just did my air filter (which was FILTHY).

Oh! I should say I also love the range of our cars. I went all the way from anchorage to fairbanks on one tank of fuel (approx. 350 mi) although the "Get gas, you idiot" light did come on.

Back east I could get: 26 city, 34 highway. In California: ~22 city, 27-29 highway. I think the drop is mostly due to the more mountainous terrain, morning traffic, and trying to keep up with everyone else in Socal that seems to floor it from every stop sign/light for no good reason. There probably wouldn't be so much smog if everyone stopped the jack-rabbit starts!

Anyways, 5MT, just regular maintenance by the book, nothing special. Most range I ever got was Westminster, MD to Bristol, TN. 410 miles and it was between 1/4 and 1/8 tank.

By the time I fill up for the last few tanks I'm around 26-27 for my 80 mile round trip commute (mostly highway), plus a few local drives. Funny, I had to go to the airport right after a fresh fill, so there and back about 100 miles, 1/4 tank of gas, averages about 30.5 mpg (according to the computer) by the time I got to today, after a few side trips and 3 days of commuting, down to 27 or so. So far the the mpgs are a little less than the Jetta I had previously, but going from premium gas to regular gas makes up for it :)

06 5MT here, I generally get like 28-29 in mixed driving during my daily commute to school, and generally get like 360 miles before the low fuel light comes on. On the highway I'll get about 30 generally, doing like 75-80 usually, although I haven't taken a long enough trip with my car to see how many miles I can get out of a tank doing nothing but highway. Road trip time I suppose? :O

Archived