LegacyGT.com

Timing question

Just changed the TB, now vehicle starts... Barely....but runs like garbage. Also did plugs. Going to double check coil boots are seated over plugs well, but I suspect my timing is off a tooth. Couple questions, the timing marks were definitely lined up, if I am off a tooth somewhere, where shall I make the adjustment first out of the 3 possiblities to adjust(2.5i sohc)? Also, what is the tooth count, and where do I count from and toso I cN double check that way as well? Removed and reinstalled belt 3 times with no improvement, but didn't adjust anything left or right, just triple checked marks were aligned each time.

I have a feeling that it's not off a tooth or two. Most of these engines have built in tolerances to being one or two teeth off. I have a feeling it has something to do with the spark plugs themselves. Are they exactly same as the ones that were in there? Gapped properly???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So when I took the timing belt off, I had the wrong marks lined up. I had the arrow on the crank lined up, instead of the line, the arrow is suppose to point right. I replaced everything I needed. Should I line it up the right way before putting the belt back on? And if so how? Or can I put the belt back on with how I had the marks originally lined up (wrong)? Did I break it? :spin:

^ This. Check out this thread from Post 196 on.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/member-profile-cup-joe-249331p14.html

I have a feeling that it's not off a tooth or two. Most of these engines have built in tolerances to being one or two teeth off. I have a feeling it has something to do with the spark plugs themselves. Are they exactly same as the ones that were in there? Gapped properly???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used ngk iridium bkr6eix-11, aren't there pre-gapped?

Used ngk iridium bkr6eix-11, aren't there pre-gapped?

Most plugs are "pre-gapped" but I've found that most are still wrong or got messed up somewhere in shipping.

If you're taking the time to change the plugs yourself it's worthwhile to check the gap and adjust it to what it's supposed to be if it's not.

If the timing marks all line up then it's highly unlikely that the cam timing is the issue.

Does it die when you press the throttle at idle?

I recently reset my ECU (via ECU Flash) and it ran like crap until it relearned it's idle, once up and moving it was normal but moving off idle was an issue until I saw a thread about it.

Did you replace the belt tensioner and if so did you release it to put tension on the belt?

If you reused the spring inside the coil boot, you may need to pull them and give them a little stretch. On time I had a boot slide right beside a plug, so be sure they go straight on.

Okay, I found the spring put it in and the car fired up idles rough, but was getting better after just a couple of minutes. I then went in and hit the gas pedal to rev up the motor a little bit and the motor died, haven't been able to start it since, acting like it's flooded. Headed back to work will try it again after I get home. Does this sound like the normal learning process? I did notice the brake and check engine light both flashing but no codes are stored.

So, got home from work, car started, didnt idle, but would stay running with a little bit of help on the gas pedal. Died after I let off, and wont start again. acting like its getting flooded. CEL still flashed. Wondering if a coil has gone bad for some reason, but seems weird since motor ran fine prior to the start of all this.

I would pull the timing covers and reset the timing from scratch at this point. Just to get it out of the way. Coils don't normally just go bad after a timing belt install, unless they are already rusted and coming apart.

Well I found a diagram with the tooth count, tooth counts line up with the marks on the belt. Here's a question. My buddy helping me did the first attempt, if he lined up the arrow on the crankshaft, and not the proper mark, and then attempted to start it without manually turning the motor, would things make contact and cause damage? I am starting to wonder if that might have happened. I know he did like e the arrow up first, but he tells me there was no contact, but he didn't manually turn the motor to double check first.

Well I found a diagram with the tooth count, tooth counts line up with the marks on the belt. Here's a question. My buddy helping me did the first attempt, if he lined up the arrow on the crankshaft, and not the proper mark, and then attempted to start it without manually turning the motor, would things make contact and cause damage? I am starting to wonder if that might have happened. I know he did like e the arrow up first, but he tells me there was no contact, but he didn't manually turn the motor to double check first.
I think you would have heard it when starting the motor if there was contact. From your symptoms, I suspected the wrong timing mark was used. Poor idle, lack of power supports that. There is a little leeway in the valve timing. Hopefully, you avoided any permanent damage.

I would just redo it to cross it off the list of possibilities a SOHC motor isn't hard to set the timing on, compared to the DOHC. I had a no start on an ej25d and couldn't figure it out, so I redid the timing with motor still in the car...what fun that was. Turned out to be a connector my dad didn't get in tight on the engine harness that I discovered hours later.

Archived