LegacyGT.com

My Experiences with Irvine Subaru

kikkoman114

Consider this my random rant. I just need a place to vent and perhaps some ears. Figure my fellow Leggy owners would understand.

My 05 Leggy is 100% stock! Except for summer tyres.

My experiences with the service department has been nothing but woe since day 1.

This is my first new car, I spend over 30G and one the reason for it is because I am sick and tired of fixing/fixing up cars. I just want a nice new car with warranty so I don't have to worry about anything wrong with my car for 7 years/100,000 miles.

First time there after my 1st free oil change, I complained of sqeaky clutch pedal. They crack my entire transmission apart to tell me I need a new clutch at 16,000 miles.

When I ask why something that needs to be replaced usually around 80,000 is necessary at 16,000 miles, they chaulk it up to my "aggressive and abusive" driving habits.

I never EVER lauch my leggy and drove it no different than the miata, and civic I own prior to this. Long story short, they replaced the clutch under one time "customer goodwill". I reminded them about the clutch stink issue but they claimed I am the only Legacy owner with this problem. Which means if this happens again, I understand I would have to pay for it out of my own pocket. They won't release the car back to me unless I sign the dotted line.

Second time there, both of my lower control arm bushings were cracked. This time not only did they blame the driver, but front camber bolts and summer tyres. Once again I am dealt with their "goodwill" contract.

Oh, all while they were working on my car, I got a 91 Legacy wagon as a loaner with no working A/C in summer time.

Third time there is because my AC or radiator fan is stuck on. This time they finally fixed the problem without any comments.

After months, I finally got the time to bring the car in to have them inspect the dash rattle. Again they tell me I am the only owner with this problem. This time however, they gave me a 05 Forrester because some old lady crashed the 91 wagon.

On the 3rd day, I called them and they told me that it might not be covered under warranty because I have a satelite radio system installed in my cubby holder. If I want to proceed to have my dash removed to inspect the rattle, it would cost me about $450 and another $500 or so to replace the dash.

I dashed over there as quickly as I can to see in person what they are talking about. They claimed that because they had to mount a display screen in the cubby holder, that when they "force" it in, it broke off the these plastic tabs at the side of the dash. So if they were to crack the dash open, because of the broken tabs and aftermarket radio system, it would not be under warranty.

I told them forget it! I am not paying up to $1,000 for a rattle. I will take my car back as is. Then he tells me I need to pay them $35 for the rental.

I was shocked and outraged. Rental cars are covered under warranty I thought. But he explained to me real nicely that because I didn't authorize them to inspect the rattle further, they cannot determine whether or not it is a warranty issue or not, hence no warranty issue, they have to charge me for their "rental".

So basically I can authorize them to remove my dash, just so they can tell me it is not under warranty and spend at least $450 or I can just pay for the rental and pretend nothing ever happened.

On top of that, the invoice I signed had a $90 printed in the smallest print possible. He kindly pointed that out to me and said he was letting me off easy for not charging for the $90 inspection fee and only $35 for 1 day rental as oppose to 2 or 3 days!

Irvine Subaru is a car dealership, not Enterprise or Hertz. They are suppose to take care of the cars they sell and above all the owner who paid a lot of money for them. I had 1 of their loaners for 2.5 days for something that should be covered under warranty. Not only do they find the most ridiculous excuse to not warranty it, they want to make a few extra buck on their loaner car?!?!

So I'm out of $35, wasted a whole morning, drove around in a loaner I can't smoke in, got my car back with stains on passenger seat and the sensation of anger on top of annoyance everytime I am to hear that rattle/sqeak again.

I am never ever buying another Subaru again. As nice of a car it is... it has way too many glitches and their dealer find any possible excuses not to back it up.

I read on this forum tons of other owners with same problems as me. Some even with the exact same broken tabs as me.

What suggestions do you guys have for me? What are some of your good and bad experiences with Irvine Subaru. Is Costa Mesa Subaru better?

Thanks for letting me rant.

I don't know about Costa Mesa Subaru, but "Itsme" told me that the service department at Fullerton Subaru is top notch. They even do aftermarket parts. I know it may be a little bit of a drive for you but it might be worth it. Sorry to hear about you headaches down in Irvine.

Dude, the clutch thing...ugh...I'll have to be doing that some time soon also...

I only have 14,000miles, and if they give me any crap about my abusive habits, I'll tell them to friggin shut up, b/c I too, have NEVER tried to launch the car.

Fullerton subaru...hmm, perhaps I'll try them next for service. Thanks for the heads up...

I had to go Irvine Subaru three times just to change a wiper blade.

Then, they send me a survey letter to me two weeks later to ask me

How am I satisfied with Irvine Subaru,s service department.

That is some kind joke to me.

Do they send you a survey letter to you kikkoman after all ?

By the way, I didnt ask car wash that they offer.Because I can not trust them.

I've heard good and bad stories from every single dealership in So Cal (except for Norm Reeves, although I've never dealt with them yet personally) since back in my RS days from 2000 to now.

Moral of the story is avoid dealerships if you can help it. Go to Garage Tuning or Aerosim.

How can I convince my friend not to go to a dealership to get his turbo installed on his WRX?

Or does anyone have the tools to do so?

My friend wants to do it himself, but he doesn't have the tools or a lift (or whatever's necessary to do it).

-ben

What suggestions do you guys have for me?

If you prefer to personally speak to a Subaru representative, please check the hours of operation and call our customer service number below.

Customer Service: 1-800-SUBARU3 (1-800-782-2783)

Hours of Operation: 8:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m. (EST) Monday through Thursday

10:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (EST) Friday

Written correspondence can be sent to:

Subaru of America, Inc.

Subaru Plaza

P.O. Box 6000

Cherry Hill, NJ 08034-6000

Attn: Customer/Dealer Services

This Space For Rent

Archived