LegacyGT.com

Sunoco "ethanol added" gasoline

I was driving back thru PA on the turnpike, and stopped for gas at one of the rest stops. I noticed as I was filling my car up that there was a sticker on each pump that said "Ethanol Added". Is this something new, and should I be using this gas in my car?

I don't know about other parts of the US, but I know in the NY Tri-state area, 10% ethanol is standard in all fuels. I was just in DC a month ago and I saw it there. I don't remember the reason off hand (something to do with emissions), but I don't know if the mid (to) western states have it...especially in higher altitudes (?) There have been plenty of arguments back and forth over the effect the ethanol has on the fuel line system, injectors, etc. But since it's added by law, what can we do right? I've abandoned Sunoco as of this weekend anyway since I noticed they don't have "Regular"(87) "Plus"(89), "Premium" (93) and "Ultimate" (94) in NY anymore. They now have tacky Brother P-Touch labels over "Plus" that say "EXTRA" so their fuel grades are now 87, 91, 93. No more Sunoco Ultra94!!!

I'm in PA and I love the Sunoco! My '88 626 Turbo seems to also. I typically see a 2mpg improvement with Ultra94 and absolutely no pinging (which can happen with, for example, common 92). My father swears by it for his Celica All Trac Turbo. I wouldn't sweat the ethanol, although some say it can be hard on fuel lines if you leave your car sit for a very long time. Not sure if anyone knows about this, or if that might be a myth.

All the Sunoco's up here in Toronto are the same. It's been like that for awhile now. Ethanol acts like an anti-freeze to the fuel.

It also has the added benefit of allowing the fuel to burn cleaner.

Here is one source of information about ethanol additives:

}=)

http://www.e10unleaded.com/mythbusters.htm

It might be a little biased :p

"Developed through a cooperative effort of the Nebraska Corn Board,

Nebraska Ethanol Board and Nebraska Corn Growers Association."

In CT, I haven't seen 94 since they (the same idiot legislators who wanted it added to fuel in the first place) banned MTBE.

We have it here in most of Colorado from the beginning of November through the end of February. So I'm happy we're back on normal gas - although only 91 octane max!

PS - I don't know about you, but from my experience, that article is very biased. I always notice my mileage and performace go down with the winter gas

Being I live in Minnesota where we have 10% year round for quite a while now, I have some experience. Here's what I've noticed with ethanol blend:

No long term engine problems. Ethanol is supposed to be hard on rubber compounds, but I've had no issues with any lawnmower, snowblower, or car which I've driven 80+k on this fuel. No fuel line problems, no carb problems, no whatever.

I do notice a very slight drop in MPG when comparing it to non ethanol fuel over long freeway cruise control trips. But best I've been able to sorta prove over repeat testing is 1.5 or less MPG out of a total potential of 28.5. So somewhat of an issue, but not that big.

No need for HEET or other deicer in the winter.

So for me, it's a non factor to this point. A little less dependence on foreign oil, a little more money in some farmer's pocket, a lilttle less mileage, and a little cleaner air.

Of course your mileage may vary.....;)

Archived