LegacyGT.com

Meguiar's NXT vs. Zaino Z5....

This past weekend I had to wax/seal my wife's Odyssey and I didn't have enough free time on Saturday to do a complete Zaino Z5 + Z2pro treatment. I also had read that the NXT from Meguiar's was supposedly a real good long lasting wax, so I decided to give this a try, and then I could compare the 2, as I have been using Zaino now for about 4yrs.

I only had time to apply the wax to the hood on Sat. and then I would finish the rest on Sun. After applying 2 coats, I was left totally unimpressed! The finish was slightly cloudy, and it only felt slippery when using a polishing cloth to glide over the paint. After hearing about rave reviews over it, I was disappointed, especially since this costs $15 bucks!!!

I was so disappointed in the finish, that I stripped it off on Sunday, and then proceeded to apply my trusted Zaino, both the Z5 and then followed by Z2 pro. Jsut after the Z5 application there was a marked increase in clarity, and forget about the slickness, it's not even a comparison! After the Z2 pro, the finish was optically clear, slick and very deep and rich looking.

I know from my experience, that this coating of Zaino lasts 6-7months! I only do this process 2x a year, usually in spring and fall. I have tried doing it more often, but it didn't really need it. Not only that, but with Zaino, I rarely need to wash the van, about once a month! And it still looks good, I just feel guilty about not doing anything. My wife has been asked many times by strangers even, how often does she get her van detailed/washed? And she tells them I do something only like 2x a yr, and they are stunned, and want to know what it is. They almost always comment that it is never dirty.

My conclusion, leave the NXT on the shelf, and save some money. If you must buy wax, then gold class was much better in my opinion. But since I have tried paint sealants about 5yrs ago, I have been converted. I have used Klasse, as well as Liquid Glass, but since I stumbled upon Zaino, I have no needed to try anything else!

I agree with you, I have yet to find anything I like better than Zaino. My LGT Wagon is only three weeks old, so it hasn't gotten the Zaino treatment yet, but my Element get's a full claybar, Zaino polish, twice a year and it really only gets washed twice a year and it still looks great. Zaino costs a lot and takes a long time to do it right, but its worth both the effort and the money.

I don't know f I agree. I bought NXT and recently did someone's BMW 330 witha full claybar and NXT and it was amazingly deep and smooth. I could slide over the hood like the Dukes of Hazzard if I wanted it was so slick.

I like the stuff. Did you leave it for a good 10-20 minutes? Maybe that was your problem. With NXT I apply it on the entire car and let it seal first. Then buff. Super smooth

Hmm wow I am surprised you didn't like it man. I know that Zaino is a superior product but I still think NXT does the job

I'm sure NXT does the job, but at $15 a bottle, it is in the same league as Zaino, pricewise! From what I observed, i have serious doubts that this would have lasted until spring. That's why I'm unsatisfied with it. I was expecting similar results to Zaino, but for a little less money, and easier to apply. I'm not talking the actual application, but the total time needed to do the job. What I did like about the NXT was that I could do a few panels at a time.

Zaino is one of the big guns as far as durabilty goes. Zaino and Klasse are probably among the most durable sealants I have ever used. I'm not a huge fan of the appearance though. It's just personal preference, but I feel that Zaino looks a little plasticy and less like wet paint. NXT has a similar appearance in my opinion. They are both good products, but given the choice I'd probably take Zaino instead of NXT too. However, NXT has it's own advantages. It has minor abrasives that can help remove swirls as well as clean the paint. It also has some fillers that hide other swirls. For an 'off the shelf' product it is pretty dang good. However, if you are looking for long lasting durability then I'd go for the Zaino.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Hmmm...I'm a big fan of the NXT, never noticed it to look 'cloudy' at all, just a deep, smooth shine. Loads more durable than any wax I've used in the past. Seems like it's worth the $ to me. Where does one purchase the Zaino product? I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Hmmm...I'm a big fan of the NXT, never noticed it to look 'cloudy' at all, just a deep, smooth shine. Loads more durable than any wax I've used in the past. Seems like it's worth the $ to me. Where does one purchase the Zaino product? I wouldn't mind trying it out.

Only direct from the manufacturer at www.zainostore.com

It's a multi-step process, so read up at the site and see what they recommend for your application.

Guys, how do you effectively and efficiently apply the NXT Tech Wax?

I put a couple of dabs onto a microfiber pad and streak it across the paint unidirectionaly with moderate to high pressure.

I just use a pad and apply it in a circular manner, do one side of the car and trunk, buff off, do the other side and hood, buff off, do front and top, buff off, then go back over the car for one last buff, all by hand, I'm too cheap to buy a PC.

Isn't a circular motion a no-no? Or perhaps a circular motion is prohibited only during a wash... applying during the wax should be ok as the car should be clean.

Personally I do front-back motion (ie wind direction) in all cases... just to be safe.

-=- Livin life at 140 BPM -=-

I was taught to go front to back on horizontal surfaces (hood, roof, trunk) and up and down on vertical surfaces ( sides, fenders, qtr panels). Something about how it can help the light reflect better?

Like already mentioned, you can order directly from Zaino online, me being in NJ, I must go thru a distributor. Go figure, Zaino is actually based in Holmdel, NJ! I guess he also has a local speed shop, but that's a hike for me, and it's cheaper to pay shipping, plus no sales tax!

Deneb,

If you are a fan of NXT, wait til you try Zaino!

^^^ That is usually what turns people off about Zaino. 'Multi step' with Zaino versus 'one step' with NXT. You won't be disappointed if you try it, but it is a little more complicated than something off the shelf.

Circular motions are to be avoided when possible. When applying a wax by hand I would suggest very long ovals versus circles.

OCDETAILS BLOG

OK cool! Thanks for the advice regarding applying wax (I would assume that applies to NXT/sealants as well)! Is the Zaino process multi step every time, or is the 'multi step' routine only needed once or twice a year with some sort of 1 step sealant process in between? They have so many products, it's a bit confusing as to which products are needed when.

Z2 or Z5 should be all that are needed. One is for darks and one is for lights. I forget which is which... I'm sure it is on their site somewhere. Use it just like any sealant. Apply as needed for gloss. 4 or 5 coats is about the peak of appearance similar to Klasse.

OCDETAILS BLOG

Z2 Pro has no abrasives, and is optically sharper than Z5.

Z5 has mild abrasives, and can fill in swirls.

I use Z5 w/zfx, followed by Z2 Pro w/zfx. I only need about 0.5 oz of each, so you use very little product! With a little Z6 in between coats. I only do this 2x a year, and only 1 coat of each product. This lasts me the whole year, and I have been doing it for 4 yrs!

I can't imagine what 5 coats would look like, OCdetails! I just don't have that kind of time, and I think that your returns diminish greatly for each coat after 2. I guess if I could do it I would, but I can't.:(

From what I have read the few years on boards like Autopia and Detail City the point of diminishing returns is at about 5 coats on either Klasse or Zaino. Some people go nuts with it and just keep layering forever. I don't have that kind of time either, but I don't mind putting one layer per weekend on or something like that. ZFX has no use for me. You don't even need it unless you are going to use multiple layers in one day.

OCDETAILS BLOG

... ZFX has no use for me. You don't even need it unless you are going to use multiple layers in one day.

Really? Cause I have been using it every time, but I do put on 2 coats at a time. So if I were to want to add a coat sometime between my bi-annual applications, I can do so without zfx? If so, then it makes it much less expensive, and I don't have to use it up within 6hrs!

The only thing ZFX does is eliminate the 24 hour cure time. It cures the polymer almost instantly. If you are doing multiple coats then you only need to use it for the first coat and then the second one doesn't need it. That might save you some money. If you are only doing one coat at a time then there is no reason to use ZFX. That stuff is more expensive than crack anyway. I couldn't believe how small that bottle was. I've got eye drop bottles bigger than that. lol

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived