LegacyGT.com

Cobb AccessPort Tuning *Questions*

manletGT

Just how limited is the Cobb AP when taking it to a tuner vs open source tuning. I'm little confused on this topic.

I read on here that some people sold their AP and went the Open source route. I thought the AP was able to get tuned just like any other form of tuning.

Thanks!

as my noob understanding here - If you get the AP then you can download maps from Cobb which are basic. If you go and get "tuned" this is specifically to your car. Generally speaking you can get a slightly better result if you have it that way....

Now, if you get the AP you can store maps and swap them out as you want.... if you tune it without then you'd have to go back to the tuner to swap out maps back to stock if need be.

To others: Do I have this about right?

• Moderators
A lot of tuners will only do AP or opensource, not both. Pick out your tuner and ask what they require / prefer. It doesn't matter what you want or what your budget is if your tuner requires something different.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Major difference between AP and OS is that the AP can do "Live Tuning" and "on-the-fly" MAP switching. But OS is much cheaper. Both can do FFS, LC, and Speed Density (with the correct patches for OS). If you have a laptop/netbook, you can log or switch maps on your own. If you don't have either of those, then you could benefit from an AP, as that takes the place of using a computer on-board.

The main developer for RomRaider was hired by Cobb a couple years ago, so pretty much everything in AccessTuner Race is the same as RR, but worded differently. Most of the tables can be copied/pasted between the two if you are switching from one format to the other.

The OS community is just that, open source. There are more people looking to try new things and more people to offer help.

Talk to your tuner and ask what they are more comfortable with, and go with that.

With either option, you can get the same tune on you car. Open source will be cheaper. It seems that a lot of people use the accessport while they are still under warranty to quickly/easily flash back to stock (especially if a problem occurs and you’re towed to the dealer). Think the reason a lot of people go open souce after having an AP is that they can sell their AP, get a dyno tune, and still be left with a few hundred dollars. I’ve been shopping around in anticipation of stage 2. You can get an open source dyno tune for around $250ish or you can get an open source e-tune for around $150 (+ the cost of a cable to connect a laptop to your car). Then there are e-tunes through the AP, also $150. Lastly is a dyno tune through your AP. This is by far the most expensive as I have been told that COBB sets in place the pricing and local tuning shops have to follow COBB rules, meaning this runs $500.

Personally I will be sticking with the AP. I prefer the convenience of it. It’s a small, compact unit that I can hide in the car and take out at anytime to datalog and live monitor. It also takes only a couple presses of the buttons to change maps.

you can also get open source tune and store it on the AP. any pro tune can be stored on the AP also. I think the AP is a great tool either or.

The AP can't store or switch between Open Source maps, only AccessPORT maps from our OTS library or created using AccessTUNER.

OS and the AccessPORT can both hold custom tunes. But, the AccessPORT can quickly switch between maps, take datalogs, adjust Launch Control and Flat Foot Shifting, and view live data, all using just the hand held unit. Also, the AccessPORT and AccessTUNER's implementation of Speed Density is much more sophisticated and you have the full support of COBB Tuning!

Ian

??? I got a pro tune and he put all 4 maps on the AP.

Custom maps can be created using AccessTUNER Race (a free download) or AccessTUNER Pro (what shops use) and then put on your AccessPORT. Most likely your tuner was using one of those programs.

Ian

Ian/Cobb Tuning.... you guys are killin' me.... I wake up every morning hoping to see the news that you're releasing the '12 maps for the LGT....... can I blame you for my temporary depression? :) I find reasons not to race my brother's Altima just so that I can do it when at Stage 1 (to get a true spanking done)....running out of excuses.....need more..... :)

Ian/Cobb Tuning.... you guys are killin' me.... I wake up every morning hoping to see the news that you're releasing the '12 maps for the LGT....... can I blame you for my temporary depression? :) I find reasons not to race my brother's Altima just so that I can do it when at Stage 1 (to get a true spanking done)....running out of excuses.....need more..... :)

If you already have an AccessPORT, I'd recommend doing a firmware update and there might be a little 2012 LGT surprise waiting for you. Official announcement coming very soon!

Ian

If you already have an AccessPORT, I'd recommend doing a firmware update and there might be a little 2012 LGT surprise waiting for you. Official announcement coming very soon!

Ian

OH MY GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I HAVE TO WAIT TILL THE BELL RINGS!!!!!!!!!!! CAN 3:00 NOT GET HERE FAST ENOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would the principal notice that my my next four classes not have a teacher??????? I'll post a "shut the hell up and don't tell anybody, but Mr. MC had to run home" notice on my board. :eek::eek::eek:

if you already have an accessport, i'd recommend doing a firmware update and there might be a little 2012 lgt surprise waiting for you. Official announcement coming very soon!

Ian

bring home the beef, ian!!!

Hey sooooo.... do I marry the AP FIRST? THEN plug it in to the computer? ORRRR Plug into the computer.... THEN marry the AP to the car..... ugh. I got 1.5 hours to go till I race home.......

I'd say computer first to update it. I know I couldn't do anything with my AP last time I plugged it in to the car since there were no maps on it.

Hey sooooo.... do I marry the AP FIRST? THEN plug it in to the computer? ORRRR Plug into the computer.... THEN marry the AP to the car..... ugh. I got 1.5 hours to go till I race home.......

Computer should always be the first step to make sure the AP is using the latest firmware before hooking up to your car. Whether it's been married yet or not shouldn't matter when it comes to updating the AP.

I have a few questions aswell (not meaning to thread jack but could be beneficial to others)

So I got a protune, i'm assuming OS , when I swapped my block for an ej257, I recently bought an AP so I could install the heap of parts at my house. I assume I ask my tuner to convert my tune, but when I install the pipes and FMIC would I be able to run a Cobb map or would my tuner be able to write one up without a dyno.

Open source

Cheap, only the cost of a cable

Have to flash each time to make changes

Need a computer

If dealer reflashes, oh well, you just flash back

AP

Expensive $$$

Can make changes on the fly

No computer needed, just plug in the AP

Married to the ECU, if dealer flashes, you send in your ECU

Both can be tuned just as easy by a good tuner, AP won't require a reflash after every little change.

I have a few questions aswell (not meaning to thread jack but could be beneficial to others)

So I got a protune, i'm assuming OS , when I swapped my block for an ej257, I recently bought an AP so I could install the heap of parts at my house. I assume I ask my tuner to convert my tune, but when I install the pipes and FMIC would I be able to run a Cobb map or would my tuner be able to write one up without a dyno.

I would assume with a FMIC and a new exhaust that your tuner would do a completely new tune for those changes (at least they should). I don't think any "converting" would occur, your current tune would be your base starting tune that your new dyno tune would use as a baseline, though I know nothing about OS and AP, so there could be some easier method I'm clueless about.

Huh?

If you have an AP, and the dealer flashes your ECU (which has happened to people on here), you lose your AP tune AND the AP won't connect to the ECU with the new flash on it as it's already married.

If you have an AP, and the dealer flashes your ECU (which has happened to people on here), you lose your AP tune AND the AP won't connect to the ECU with the new flash on it as it's already married.

Wow that sucks! I never knew!

So, if he has to dyno my car again, the AP is useless to me, correct?

I don't know enough about cross compatibility between AP and OS to say with any confidence, I would just ask him.

If he's using your AP to do your dyno tune then obviously the answer is no, it's not useless.

Archived