LegacyGT.com

Oil Catch Can

There may be a few. I have a air/oil seperator. It's fine in the warm weather, but the moisture condensates in the filler cap in cold weather.

I'm sure you've checked out the number of STi and WRX's that have catch can's.

IMO not worth the effort unless you want max HP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

in the next few weeks, i'm gonna have my TMIC off and getting into a bunch of other stuff in preparation for a stage 2 tune.

figured i might as well hook this think up while i'm at it.

honestly, i have looked at the WRXs and STis. just really not sure how similar they are to the LGT. are all the 2.5 engines the same?

The shop that did my set up, looked at a Sti they had to see how everything went. So I guess they are real close.

When I ordered my kit, I was the only Legacy guy in on the group buy over at NASIOC.

There is a little difference but they figured it out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

but the moisture condensates in the filler cap in cold weather.

...which becomes warm weather once the car is running, right?

I wouldn't bother with a catch-can. I would bother with an air/oil seperator. But the price seems pretty steep...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

It's not REALLY needed, no. But it IS useful if you have excessive blow-by.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Probably!

it's definitely a good thing to have but it's also very difficult to do it correctly.

i had a dual catch can setup on my 2008 wrx (same engine as lgt) and because of the space limitation i used hoses that were too small and the catch cans were easily overwhelmed by the engine. i also have heard many stories of AOS systems being overwhelmed especially in track situations.

i have since removed my catch can setup and evaluating a better catch can setup or grimmspeed style AOS.

as far as AOS systems go, there is a bit of concern about contaminated blow-by re-entering the engine but nobody has done enough research (used oil anaylsis, etc) to say that contamination is bad for the engine.

my recommendation would be install catch cans if you know what your doing, if not stick with stock or go with AOS.

To do a true catch can on our cars, it would require using 2 of them. 1 connected to the vent hoses coming from the valve covers and 1 connected to the PCV assembly. I only have 1 can connected right now to the valve cover vent hoses as I used to see a lot of blow by (oil) in my I/C and intake hose. When I used to take off the I/C, I could see a small puddle of oil sitting in the intake hose connected to the manifold.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Yes you do, mine looked exactly like that. Time to clamp the clips back down and JB Weld it or buy an aftermarket I/C. I went with the JB Weld and everything so far is holding strong.
My wife's balls are delicious.

i've got Seeeeya's "bullet-proof TMIC kit" that i'll install shortly. but that just keeps the stuff in the TMIC right?

i'm thinking more along the lines of "gil's gonna need an oil catch can (or two)" to not screw things up any more.

If you go catch can, make sure to get one that fits. My parts guy talked me into an EQ Tuning catch can. It was huge and we couldn't find a suitable place to install it. I ended up selling it and going with a GrimmSpeed AOS and couldn't be happier.

just installed my grimspeed AOS.... pita to install, but def worth it to me. I go through 1-2 quarts of oil every 1000miles or so... I had a good amount of oil in the intake system and it made the end tank seals swell on my IC and then it just popped open one day.... now I have the AOS, AVO inlet hose in, and a used OEM TMIC going in when it arrives.

Archived