LegacyGT.com

3D Printing Development Thread

anyone ever make a visor for this vent dash or feel like making one???

I think I have that file somewhere. I can design something up to fit that. Can I finish the vent one first? :lol:

Got the first print done :)

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20150618_085520_HDR_zpsqunyghze.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20150618_085646_HDR_zps8yjmjkz2.jpg

Going to check fitment tonight and see where I need modifications.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I have that file somewhere. I can design something up to fit that. Can I finish the vent one first? :lol:

Got the first print done :)

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20150618_085520_HDR_zpsqunyghze.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20150618_085646_HDR_zps8yjmjkz2.jpg

Going to check fitment tonight and see where I need modifications.

haha sorry. Didn't know you were working on something like this. Although I am talking about the lower vent in the picture, not the top vent. Figured it could just go around the top and a bit of the sides and stick with 3m adhesive or something.

haha sorry. Didn't know you were working on something like this. Although I am talking about the lower vent in the picture, not the top vent. Figured it could just go around the top and a bit of the sides and stick with 3m adhesive or something.

I know what one you are talking about :lol:

So would you just be wanting a small box with a display window on it that you could stick in there? Assuming you would cut a chunk of your vent out. That's what it sounds like to me.

I know what one you are talking about :lol:

So would you just be wanting a small box with a display window on it that you could stick in there? Assuming you would cut a chunk of your vent out. That's what it sounds like to me.

I think he means a shade to cover the Vent boost gauge. I have the same VBG in my wagon. I'll see what i can do.

Throwing it out there: If something exists that you've printed but ends up not being strong enough (at least, my ABS prints never held up as well as I wanted) I can machine one for ya.

Looks good! Always fun to pop into this thread every couple weeks and see all the progress.

I think he means a shade to cover the Vent boost gauge. I have the same VBG in my wagon. I'll see what i can do.

Yes, this is what I'm talking about. Even a simple stick on shade would work for me

So something like these gauge hoods but to fit the vent?

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f/39737796+w+h+q80+re0+cr1/modp-1203-05%2Bprosport-halo-series-gauges%2Bgauge-cluster.jpg

Test fit the vent on my lunch. Fits almost perfectly. I actually made the front retaining clips too beefy so they don't seem to flex enough. I'm going to modify the one I have to make it fit perfect then update the model.

This? :)

Yes but I'm making it a bit different. Pretty much had to make the whole model because it wouldn't import properly :/ I also addressed the fitment and strength concerns :)

Got some test fit pictures. Pretty damn good for the first print I would say. Only need to make a few slight modifications to the shape of the vent so that it sits flush like it should (last picture)

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20150621_145956_HDR_zpsxefk4ouy.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20150621_150005_HDR_zps2qm6yvfp.jpg

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Vent%20pod/20150621_150026_HDR_zpsvif98ihg.jpg

Once I do that I can start doing the fun part of adding the gauge holders and whatnot

After some recent experiments, I feel like nylon is the best material for this.

What did you experiment with and what happened? I'll have to see what the other material is. I know the black is ABS.

Edited by Streetlegal

What did you experiment with and what happened? I'll have to see what the other material is. I know the black is ABS.

The engineering sample I printed earlier (Boyceware has it) was printed in PLA. I've recently seen issues with PLA in hot cars, actually deforming and warping. Also it doesn't have much Flex. Only drawback to Nylon is it would have to be dyed post printing. Due to the complex shape of the pod's , there is no good way to print them with a single extruder machine. I'd be willing to upgrade my printer to a dual setup so a dissolvable support material could be used. The sample was a bear to clean up.

The engineering sample I printed earlier (Boyceware has it) was printed in PLA. I've recently seen issues with PLA in hot cars, actually deforming and warping. Also it doesn't have much Flex. Only drawback to Nylon is it would have to be dyed post printing. Due to the complex shape of the pod's , there is no good way to print them with a single extruder machine. I'd be willing to upgrade my printer to a dual setup so a dissolvable support material could be used. The sample was a bear to clean up.

Its also hygroscopic, if you have a car in a humid atmosphere I wouldn't be surprised if it swelled up and warped.

Interested in (future) price for a single pod...

I'll make up a few designs with all different pods. If everything works out how I want it to, I can make the design with the pod location wherever you want then just re-save it as a different file. Not sure if I'll be able to print a bunch of these so discojon might have to print it. Won't know for sure until I get to that point though.

Are you able to print in ABS? That's what this one is printed in, what most of our models are printed in, and we don't have really any issue with warping and whatnot. Plus they are really easy to clean up and whatnot.

I'll make up a few designs with all different pods. If everything works out how I want it to, I can make the design with the pod location wherever you want then just re-save it as a different file. Not sure if I'll be able to print a bunch of these so discojon might have to print it. Won't know for sure until I get to that point though.

Are you able to print in ABS? That's what this one is printed in, what most of our models are printed in, and we don't have really any issue with warping and whatnot. Plus they are really easy to clean up and whatnot.

I can print in any material (that I am aware of) that is available. Abs may be the winner. Once the design is done I'll print a few test pieces and ask for some folks to test them. Please don't pm me asking to test yet.

I can print in any material (that I am aware of) that is available. Abs may be the winner. Once the design is done I'll print a few test pieces and ask for some folks to test them. Please don't pm me asking to test yet.

I can test print mine here I just don't think I'll be able to print off a bunch of them is what I meant.

I can test print mine here I just don't think I'll be able to print off a bunch of them is what I meant.

That wasn't directed at you street legal. I typically get overwhelmed with folks wanting to test a new item. Greatly appreciate your work. I can handle the production once we are there.

I have a 09' OBXT. I can look into designing something for this. let me take a look and grab some measurements off of mine.

2009 Legacy GT

This is a bit of a strange request for a part. I want a custom trim piece that will provide a type of cage that fits over the top of the SI-Drive knob on the center console. I want to prevent it from being depressed by some casual or unintended action (ex: my dog stepping on it), because I f'in hate "intelligent mode" and wish that this most inferior "mode" never existed. It has no place in a Racecar.

I'm my mind it would be sort of an x over the knob that wraps down over the sides and is attached to a half-moon shaped trim piece that would sit down in the little depression that the knob is centered in. It will cover the illumination but IDGAF about that, and it willstill allow full operation of the button.

I have a 09' OBXT. I can look into designing something for this. let me take a look and grab some measurements off of mine.

little late of a quote haha :p I have the dimensions of the SI drive panel if you want a model. I made a switch panel to sit in the spot instead.

Yeah, I discovered this forum right before I went out of the country for work. I just got back and had a chance to go through the posts. It would be great if you could send me the dimensions. Do you have details for the mounting bits as well?

little late of a quote haha :p I have the dimensions of the SI drive panel if you want a model. I made a switch panel to sit in the spot instead.

Yeah, I discovered this forum right before I went out of the country for work. I just got back and had a chance to go through the posts. It would be great if you could send me the dimensions. Do you have details for the mounting bits as well?

What program do you use for modeling? I can probably just send you the model of my switch panel. I need to make a few modifications to make it fit 100% perfect but it's pretty damn close. This is just kind of setting it in there.

http://i855.photobucket.com/albums/ab114/gearhead_18/Mobile%20Uploads/20150310_170645_zpsmd6gsbcu.jpg

I've changed a few things on the model in regards to layout and whatnot but that is the first one I printed and what it looks like.