LegacyGT.com

pcv/egr question

What is the thread pitch of the PCV valve on the I/M coming from the crankcase? Couldn't seem to find it in the FSM. I went to a breather/catchcan setup and just wanted to block it legitimately.

Also, any benefits to an EGR delete? Heard it could raise comb. Chamber temps, but I would like someone to chime in with actual experience.

Thanks in advance

Hey sludge, not sure about the thread pitch on the pcv, but I have done an egr delete on my 2.2. To tell you the truth I don't see any real gain from it other than (maybe)cleaner burn and cleaner I/m..my gas mileage has gone up about 4-5 miles per gallon...but those gains could have been gotten because I swapped in a newer motor and I'm using the msd coil and its probably completing the fuel burn. I do remember having a ton black crud and a sooty film in my I/m, I would seafoam every month. Because I did the swap, msd coil and egr delete at the same time, difficult to nail down the gains from it.

The car doesn't run bad, detonate, or ping..I know I'm getting around 28 mpg, as before on old 2.2 I was getting 22-23 in the summer. I still have yet to clear all the saved trouble codes in the ecu as well.

I think it may be the new engine and msd. From what I've read on some diesel truck forums, they say it if anything depletes mpg and may have a slight hp gain.

Idk how much the combustion chamber would heat up. Maybe to the point of running 89 or 91?

With the egr delete, what did you use as a "block off" plate?

Catch can should be here soon, as my breather is all oily and nasty from C/C gases.

So its going to be 2 breather to atmosphere and then crankcase to oil catch; then will be comfortable making it recirculating to the intake tubing again.

I agree the newer motor has given me the hp gains, the motor is out of a 98 outback sport, so it has the newer valve train and pistons, I think that I read it was about a 4 or 5 hp jump from earlier phase 1 and about 10% increase in mpg. The msd coil was a big efficiency jump, I kept my phase 1 diamond coil on the car for a little over a week and a tank of gas..just to log difference on msd.

I had read on sl-i that egr delete may not give noticeable difference in hp but it would be cleaner, that is the reason I tried it and we have relaxed emissions laws where I'm from. The Texas inspection joints are all kinds of corrupt so I can throw them an extra $20 and the tech will hook another car to the sniffer.

...oh and no I just kept the valve body on the I/m, I don't believe the combustion chamber would heat up much more, the egr is drawing exhaust from the #3 exhaust valves. The block-off plate was taken of the motor I bought (don't know why)..but the egr valve body is brand new. I ended up keeping everything as it was on the egr system, vacuum lines, pressure switch is all there I just took the egr tube out and threaded a bolt into the I/m where the tube went.

Oil catch can? I heard about them but never seen any installed on anything but a racecar. I like the idea of it, it catches all types of fluid right, unburned fuel, oil and coolant right? When you install let me know how it goes.

Oil catch can? I heard about them but never seen any installed on anything but a racecar. I like the idea of it, it catches all types of fluid right, unburned fuel, oil and coolant right? When you install let me know how it goes.

Oil catch can catches vapors from the crankcase, air pressure with oil vapor. It condenses in the can and not in your intake tube/mani.

Apparently my car is a white ghost of sorts. No egr valve. My car is map/speed density and is a 99 brighton with a 2.2 phase dos. Idk if this would explain lack of egr.

Pcv valve in the intake mani, believe it or not, is 1/4" NPT. Didn't know this. So I bought a pipe plug and sealed the deal.

Now just gotta install the catch and maybe get to the bottom of my goofy setup/lack of egr.

I think they took the egr out for phase 2ej's, don't quote me though..if your car is a 5spd then you won't have one, the egr is a mysterious part of any car to me..they seem to just be there. Some vehicles don't need them and some do, I don't get it. Mine runs just fine without it, but throws a code which is annoying for me to look at really. I didn't install my tube because I may pull the motor back out this summer, if I do I'm more than likely going to just drill and tap the head if for nothing more than an option, though legally mine is supposed to be there.

My motor is a late 98 phase 1 out of an impreza ob sport with a 5 speed, no egr valve, though the I/m has the flange cast into it still but not drilled and tapped for the valve body. Just had a galvanized plate bolted too it.

There was a huge discussion over on the Supra forums about removing egr valves and why not to remove them. EGR lowers combustion temps, reducing NOx and the likelyhood of detonation, especially in a turbo engine. Also removing them while still running a factory ECU can cause mpgs to suffer. It's not so much of a deal on a car running a standalone or some sort of fuel tuning device. Jdm cars don't have egr's but their tuned and set up for such. GL.

my car has a 5spd and EGR valve. just replaced mine cause it kept throwing the code. ugh, $200

To figure out what the egr valve looked like for our cars, I just went online to "buy" one and im sitting here going... holy shit, 189 for this little guy.

For some reason, my car is egr-less and the PO were an older couple who bough the car new. They weren't doing anything except keepin her bone dry stock.

There was a huge discussion over on the Supra forums about removing egr valves and why not to remove them. EGR lowers combustion temps, reducing NOx and the likelyhood of detonation, especially in a turbo engine. Also removing them while still running a factory ECU can cause mpgs to suffer. It's not so much of a deal on a car running a standalone or some sort of fuel tuning device. Jdm cars don't have egr's but their tuned and set up for such. GL.

They said the same shit on celicasupra.org and club4a. I understand with the turbo guys, as that pressure already raises comb temp.

You know this spooln, my car is just the runt of the liter. Im very very interested as to why my car breaks the rules. From reading egr stuff the last days, I would go ahead and keep mine on.... if I had one.

No maf, no egr, and now after these days, no pcv.

Also, got around to finally putting the IAT sensor in the intake tube, instead of dangling it in front of the filter.

And just to be sure gents, the egr on these cars is on the drivers side bank, just behind the intake mani/ and fuel rail and a little lower, correct?

Yes, bolted to the intake manifold. See what I mean about mystery, egr is like the dodo bird. I had heard 5spd don't have them, the motors I looked at for purchase didn't have them either they were all phase 1 2.2's with standards.

I think I'm just going to put mine back in this summer like I planned, the only thing good I see out of it Is a cleaner I/m. But that catch can your doing is going to take care of that for you. If you don't have one your lucky...just an extra part you don't have to pay for when it fails.

• 1 month later...

Welp, I screwed up and put my heads on backwards. The only difference I can tell is that one head has a threaded hole on the back to run the brass pipe to the EGR valve. The head that's on now has a hole but it doesn't have the threads.

Will running this way cause any mechanical problems? There are no inspections where I live, so codes and such don't really matter.

I'm not 100% clear on how the system works specifically, but I'm afraid of leakage from the now front-facing, uncovered hole on the head.

• 11 months later...

Archived