LegacyGT.com

Cigarrette lighter is out. Cant find fuse?

Thanks 4 your help, it turns out, that the fuse isnt broken. :( but the lighter still wont function. Any ideas? Will i really have to take the dashboard apart and check all the wiring? could it be anything else?

Don't smoke. I bought a sirius setup and it needs to be plugged in, charging in order to use it. It's not the sirius charger because my ipod charger doesnt work inside my subaru, but in other cars it does. ANY recommendations before i take it to a stealer and spend 2 years worht of subscription $ to have them fix my lighter and take the dashboard apart?? Fking rediculous and just pisses me off!

Not the same year but, I messed up my cigarette lighter yanking out an FM modulator for an Ipod. So, I took the Jazzy instructions for getting to the radio which, frees up the cigarette assembly in the dash and, fixed it.

A bit nerve wracking prying out plastic trim but, it worked and took only 20 minutes and, no damage.

Search, you might find instructions for an '01 or, the same instructions might be OK to use.

There are only two wires to the outlet and a large thin nut that holds the socket to the trim piece.

You could always wire another, just don't know where you'd put it. Tho the BL series has one in the accessory storage area in addition to the regular outlet.

If you look up instructions for removing the radio, you'll accomplish the same thing. Do search here, or NASIOC, or Endwrench.

Get a Chilton's for future usage.

O.

So Osei, I found intructions for taking the radio assembly out, that is clear to me. However, im not really comprehending what you said about the 2 wires and one thin bolt. First, how do i take the cig lighter out, and maybe put a new one in. Or fix the exhisting one? or like you said, what about the wiring? Should I remove the lighter and check the wiring connected to the lighter? Not sure what to look for tho.....since the fuse isnt the problem, then how many different things could it be? Hoping I just need to replace the llighter assembly and not take the dashboard apart to check all the wires. How would i go about doing this tho? Thanks ahead for any info....

Separate incident, years ago in a different car (not a Subie). I forget what caused the issue but it sounds similar. When I pulled the cigarette lighter one of the wires had burnt off it's connector to the lighter. Pretty easy fix.

No guarantee this is identical to your problem. Dealer labor rates being $60 + / hour could save you or, you'd mess it up and be in worse shape.

More than likely as another poster has said, you have a broken connection. If you have a multimeter available, you can check for continuity at the center of the socket and the inside circumference.

If no continuity,broken wire.

Working from memory here, so you will have to adjust for your circumstances.

What you need is room to get your hand behind lighter. Do what is needed to get room.

There are two wires that connect to the lighter. One in the center and one on the outer ring.

There is a large thin ring (brass?) that screws onto the back of the lighter assembly. It is generally on finger tight. If you go to any auto store and look at a replacement lighter, you'll see exactly the pieces involved.

Once the ring is loose the socket will just pull out. The ring will ride along the wires,so it won't go anywhere. But if you have to disconnect the wires,DON"T DROP THE RING. If you do, it will fall down in the back of the console and for the trouble involved in getting to it, cheaper to buy a generic replacement.(don't ask how I know:lol:)

Hope this helps.

O.

OHH YOU GUYS KICK ASSS! Thanks for all your help, im gunna try it all today, i want to hear my new sirius!.....not a problem, stealing my thread, i dont mind lol...try under the coin tray if there is one on the left side of the steering wheel

SOOOO....I think i found the problem, once i got into the general area by removing a few pieces of plastic, I found 2 wires attached to nothing. One red, and one black, they are directly connected to the lighter, but do nowhere. Where should these two wires connect too? How should i go about doing this? THanks

Dude, theres these two wires coming out from the back of the lighter. They are really short wires. Red and Black it seems to me that the original owner replaced the lighter, and never connected the two wires back to complete the cercuit. Im trying to figure out which wire (purple, grey, black, orange, or white with red dots) the red wire needs to connect too. THe black is obviously ground. Anybody know??

No molded connector for the wires? And no matching colored wires that you can see coming from the dash?

Sound like the previous owner got crazy with wire cutters on both the cigarette lighter and wire harness from the dash.

A multi-meter for sure since you likely need a 20 amp hot lead and of course a ground.

Or, (flame on) a bunch of spare fuses and some trial and error as you randomly pick wires from the harness.

Or, now that you've done the grunt work, drop down to the dealer and see if they will tell you for free. Splicing the wires isn't hard or, costly. If needed, put the trim back on yourself to save $.

That exactly what i was thinkg, i just need someone who knows more about electrical work to figure the rest of it out. Ill have the dealer take a look and hopefully its a qiuck fix. One other thing came to mind...obvoiously the previous owner did some farting around in their, im wondering for a reason u know. WOndering if there was soe bad fuse sparking or the wires are all fried and the wires need to be replaced from the fuse to the lighter all together. Thanks for all your help, i got farthur than i though possible today. While the panels are out too, im gunna paint that wood trim black!

The Chiltons I have says that the body lead to ground is Black, while the hot lead is black and white.

Verify with meter.

To DarkLegacy: on 07's fuse #13 (20A) controls the cargo socket...check this.

O.

I figger the previous owner had a satelite radio, GPS or iPOD connector spliced into the cigarette lighter just like you want.

And in a rush, just clipped the wires when he removed whatever it was. Probably though it would help / save $ when he installed in the new vehicle if he saved all the parts.

PITA but, no worry.

SOOO, i couldnt have done this job without you guys! But at the same time, I could have easily done this without you guys!! Hahah turns out after all that i decided make sure the wiring harness was plugged in all the way, of course that was the problem, it was loose. yaay, im guiessing the two exposed wires were probuly installed for something aftermarket, but thanks again for all your guy's much needed help;)

• 4 months later...

I can't find a thread and didn't want to start a new one.

The 12v plug in the center console of my 2005 2.5i Ltd. seems to have fizzled out. It would work sporadically if I jiggled the phone adapter, but then gave out all together. The adapter works fine in the dash cigarette lighter plug.

Anyway, how do you remove the element? I took apart the center console and was able to unplug it, but I don't know what to push or twist to get the whole plug assembly out of the console.

Any help? Thanks.

I can't find a thread and didn't want to start a new one.

The 12v plug in the center console of my 2005 2.5i Ltd. seems to have fizzled out. It would work sporadically if I jiggled the phone adapter, but then gave out all together. The adapter works fine in the dash cigarette lighter plug.

Anyway, how do you remove the element? I took apart the center console and was able to unplug it, but I don't know what to push or twist to get the whole plug assembly out of the console.

Any help? Thanks.

If it is like the dashboard lighter element, there is a plastic nut around the collar of the element. This screws up towards the open end of the lighter element and tightens the lighter assembly against the cubby plastic. There's a lip around the open end of the lighter that sits on top of the cubby "floor", with the nut holding the element tight against the underside of hte cubb "floor".

Given this thing uses a lot of amps (relative to other cabin accessories), you should be able to identify a separate fuse for the thing though as you say, it works erratically which may mean the wire harness has come loose from twisting and turning the lighter assembly.

You might fix it by simply pushing the wire harness clips back together.

Archived