LegacyGT.com

Review: 08 LGT - Koni Struts and Cobb Sways then back to stock Sways - Comparison

JoeFromPA

Hi all,

Ran Cobb adjustable sway bars with whiteline bushings for about 80k miles on the LGT. About 9k miles, I got Koni struts set about 40% from full soft towards firm. I played with 'em a bit and found that was my liking. Also got whiteline LCA bushings (front and rear).

Today I took off the cobb front and rear sways for the first time driving the car with only Koni Inserts and whiteline LCA bushings. I thought I'd right a brief review.

Koni's + Cobb Sways

Turn-in is right-the-heck now. Instant response. Body roll is just the tiniest bit even on hard transitions. Minimal squat and dive. The steering feels go kart ish (also whiteline LCAs). Ride comfort is decent.

I compared this setup to a BMW 3 series sport package in terms of steering response, body roll, and overall handling feel. That is still apt. The ride comfort is less than the 3-series, but from a performance standpoint it hit that mark for me.

Koni's + Stock sways

Turn-in became much more vague. Steering looseness increased significantly. Response was far less instant. Body roll increases some, not a ton. Squat and dive remain minimal.

I was really surprised by how much steering precision, response off-center, and turn-in feel I lost. It was not subtle and I'm talking at low-speeds with minor steering inputs. It is obvious how much the rear sway bar stiffening contributed to greater chassis responsiveness and willingness.

Bottom Line: I always read that Koni's or a similar strut solution should be step one. While I don't disagree with that, I think a strut solution + a rear sway bar should be a combined approach. The tightening up of the steering, the overall experience is much sportier.

On another note, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the whiteline LCA bushings. I say stick with stock (it's alot cheaper too). I got a notable increase in NVH and the car became a bit hyper-responsive to steering inputs. Struts + Sways is the perfect combo for daily driver fun.

This will be one of my last posts on this forum for the forseeable future. Good luck to all!

Joe

I stayed on stock springs the entire time.

Bolksey - so long man. The Leggy is gone now. The m5 has been keeping me busy - not as many "holy shit" problems as you'd expect :) Mainly electrical bullshit - fuel pump relay and fuel pump fuse blew, driver's seat controls started blowing fuses indicating a short somewhere, and a wheel speed sensor is on the fritz. Other than that I've put ~15k miles on it since March of 2012 and it's great.

Been a pleasure being a member of this forum. I've got a tiny voice in my head that says "get an 09 spec.b. and slap an 18g on it!" but that voice doesn't get a say just yet :)

Joe, I think I'm gonna throw a Koni set and some springs on her and call it done. Maybe wheels and tires if I ever convince myself. Otherwise, it'll stay slow and boring just like it is now. She'll make a great DD. I need to convince myself to sell off the little bit of junk I bought and never installed.

I want some rear drive next. V8 would be great but not a necessity. My best friend is :wub: over his Miata so I've been mulling those over but I also like the 3V Mustang.

Hi all,

Ran Cobb adjustable sway bars with whiteline bushings for about 80k miles on the LGT. About 9k miles, I got Koni struts set about 40% from full soft towards firm. I played with 'em a bit and found that was my liking. Also got whiteline LCA bushings (front and rear).

Today I took off the cobb front and rear sways for the first time driving the car with only Koni Inserts and whiteline LCA bushings. I thought I'd right a brief review.

Koni's + Cobb Sways

Turn-in is right-the-heck now. Instant response. Body roll is just the tiniest bit even on hard transitions. Minimal squat and dive. The steering feels go kart ish (also whiteline LCAs). Ride comfort is decent.

I compared this setup to a BMW 3 series sport package in terms of steering response, body roll, and overall handling feel. That is still apt. The ride comfort is less than the 3-series, but from a performance standpoint it hit that mark for me.

Koni's + Stock sways

Turn-in became much more vague. Steering looseness increased significantly. Response was far less instant. Body roll increases some, not a ton. Squat and dive remain minimal.

I was really surprised by how much steering precision, response off-center, and turn-in feel I lost. It was not subtle and I'm talking at low-speeds with minor steering inputs. It is obvious how much the rear sway bar stiffening contributed to greater chassis responsiveness and willingness.

Bottom Line: I always read that Koni's or a similar strut solution should be step one. While I don't disagree with that, I think a strut solution + a rear sway bar should be a combined approach. The tightening up of the steering, the overall experience is much sportier.

On another note, I wouldn't necessarily recommend the whiteline LCA bushings. I say stick with stock (it's alot cheaper too). I got a notable increase in NVH and the car became a bit hyper-responsive to steering inputs. Struts + Sways is the perfect combo for daily driver fun.

This will be one of my last posts on this forum for the forseeable future. Good luck to all!

Joe

Thx Joe nice review, exactly what I needed to know. Enjoy the the M5 shes a beast!

FWIW, I have koni yellows with Epic springs on the 167,000 mile wagon with stock sway bars.

Konis are backed off one turn from full hard.

Car cornes very flat and has very little lift and dive under full throttle and heavy breaking.

When it warms up outside I'll back them off a 1/2 turn. The backroads around the house suck.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

How are the Koni's for daily driving? On full soft can they get as comfortable as the stock suspension on this car?

I am thinking of getting some come spring time for my 08 LGT but it is my daily and have a sports car for the weekends and nice weather. Ride just feels too sloppy stock to me.

WWW.MODDICTION.COM

Moddiction Stainless steel and Titanium shift knobs.

Drivetrain, suspension, brakes, exhaust, cooling, fuel, gauges+MUCH more!

How are the Koni's for daily driving? On full soft can they get as comfortable as the stock suspension on this car?

I am thinking of getting some come spring time for my 08 LGT but it is my daily and have a sports car for the weekends and nice weather. Ride just feels too sloppy stock to me.[/quote

I have the Koni set-up w/ Rallitek springs and it is a very dynamic set-up. It is very compliant on softer settings and can be very non-compliant when turned to the harder settings. The stock spring/shock set-up, especially with some mileage on them, is way too sloppy. If you add some horsepower/torque it is downright dangerous. I doubt you would be dissapointed with the Koni set-up.

Archived