LegacyGT.com

Battery Replacement -- Additional Options

There seems to be a few battery threads around lately, so I thought I'd add my experience in case it may be helpful to anyone here. The stock battery went 5 1/2 years in my 2005 Outback and finally gave up the ghost yesterday, refusing to start the car after sitting for two days.

The signs had been there, the seat belt chime kept coming back even after turning it off multiple times, the starter was spinning slower than normal, etc. so it wasn't a great surprise, except that I was dressed and ready to leave for work when it happened (lucky for me I live on a hill and drive a stick).

Personally I'm never one to just replace something if it can be upgraded for a reasonable cost, so I went with a larger capacity battery. I really wanted to go with an Odyssey PC1400 (or maybe even a PC1500), but I just could not justify the $250+ price tag (or even the $190 price tag for the Sears Die Hard Platinum (and) re-brand of the Odysseys). If I used the car for extended trips in the middle of nowhere I might have sprung for them though.

So I looked at Interstate Batteries. The Web Site recommended the MTP-35 as the 'upgraded' replacement battery. At 640 cca and 100 Min. Reserve Capacity (RC) it was an upgrade to the 430 cca unknown RC stock battery. But I wondered if I could have more. So I found this Handy Chart Referencing Interstate Battery Specs (The Interstate Website sucks for this type of valuable information, I guess they figure their customer's don't care?) to work from.

I looked at the MTP-24 (too Long, and no reverse terminal configuration available)

The MT-34R (Second Choice)

And settled on the MTP-36R (650 cca, 130 Min RC). In my opinion it fits like a glove. Its a tad wider, and 1.38" longer, which necessitated 'clipping' the end of the plastic battery tray to allow it to lay flat under the battery. I also added a piece of split loom tubing to one of the rubber A/C condenser lines than runs past the battery, because while it is not touching, you could barely slide a thick piece of paper between the new battery and the hose, and I figured that the vibration from operation would cause some rubbing at some point, and I didn't want that to compromise the line in 30-50K miles of use..

It listed for $132.95, but I called up a local distributor (instead of dealer) and bought directly from them for $91.95, or less than AutoZone wanted for a generic Duralast battery with lesser specs.

Some Photos of the Installed battery are attached..

Something fun I learned in the process.. The Stock 'Group 35' battery is a reverse terminal configuration, so group 35 battery's will not be listed with an 'R' designation (for reverse terminal), but if you use something other than a group 35 battery, you will need a reverse Terminal Configuration to match the post orientation of the factory battery.

http://www.subaruoutback.org/gallery//500/9005interstate_mtp-36r_1-med.jpg__________________

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

Willow Green Opal/ Moss Green Metallic

1280829715_InterstateMTP-36R1.jpg.dc06bf7375971442968a07145f00c3dd.jpg

380216499_InterstateMTP-36R2.jpg.1d7efd007b839f45a3fc0239f5205734.jpg

232390589_InterstateMTP-36R3.jpg.335d9507f13653796044769420583717.jpg

Something fun I learned in the process.. The Stock 'Group 34' battery is a reverse terminal configuration, so group 34 battery's will not be listed with an 'R' designation (for reverse terminal), but if you use something other than a group 34 battery, you will need a reverse Terminal Configuration to match the post orientation of the factory battery.

^good info: i learned that an hour or 2 after buying my replacement :redface: -- juuuust made it to the pos termi despite the mix.

i bought into a diehard gold 51, i like the appreciable shed of size and weight while still maintaining a 'full size' battery with better-than-oem CCA. makes life a lot easier for me in that corner. tpir, and has been excellent performer for the past year or so.

^good info: i learned that an hour or 2 after buying my replacement :redface: -- juuuust made it to the pos termi despite the mix.

i bought into a diehard gold 51, i like the appreciable shed of size and weight while still maintaining a 'full size' battery with better-than-oem CCA. makes life a lot easier for me in that corner. tpir, and has been excellent performer for the past year or so.

Driving an Outback, the battery weight is not a primary concern. I actually prefer a heavier battery, since more lead generally means better performance (electrically speaking). A Group 51 battery would not be my choice because of the lower Reserve Capacity (RC). While most group 51's still have a 400-500 CCA rating, their reserve time generally drops to the 50-70 minute range, or roughly half of what the battery I put in will provide.

While I personally question any handling advantage that is won on the street by going with lighter batteries, there are those who have taken the 'lighter battery' to even greater extremes than you have..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

• 6 months later...
reviving the thread here..

just wondering if you think that a battery with the following size would fit in our engine bay:

Dimensions: 12"x6.5"x8.2"

It's a big one. But I 'need' it due to big sound system..:redface:

I suppose it is possible to make it work, but the MTP-36R I put in (10.38" long) is already 'hanging' off the end of the battery platform as it is. I would think you would want some type of 'shelf extension' to help support the battery, as I'd be concerned that over the long term the case may fatigue and crack/fail as a result. This would lift the battery somewhat (obviously), but at 8.2" tall it is still a tad shorter than my MTP-36R (at 8.88" tall). I think the physical room is there, but you may need to 'reroute' some cabling as well to make it work. Most places will let you return the battery (particularly if it is still 'wrapped', so check your supplier and pick it up and try it, you can always return it if it can't be made to work).

What battery are you considering, and what are it's specs? Sometimes you can get a smaller battery with better specs... Here is a photo of the MTP-36R (10.38 l x 7.2" w x 8.88" tall) in my 'O5 Outback..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

1773278413_InterstateMTP-36R2.jpg.6f066a99672c306df0a998e629443a50.jpg

I suppose it is possible to make it work, but the MTP-36R I put in (10.38" long) is already 'hanging' off the end of the battery platform as it is. I would think you would want some type of 'shelf extension' to help support the battery, as I'd be concerned that over the long term the case may fatigue and crack/fail as a result. This would lift the battery somewhat (obviously), but at 8.2" tall it is still a tad shorter than my MTP-36R (at 8.88" tall).

^Yeah I fear I'd have to do that. Plus the battery I am getting weighs.......61lbs LOL. Yeah I know it's a tad heavy.

What battery are you considering, and what are it's specs? Sometimes you can get a smaller battery with better specs...

^The one I am getting is this one. I know it's HUGE and believe it or not, I need at least two of those and also upgrade my alternator. Why you may ask? Cause I am nuts, but mostly because I have a fairly big sound system in my outback, which requires about 4000W RMS of power. And my wimpy stock 110A alternator and stock battery are currently suffering right now. In any case, if I can't fit it in the front, it'll go in the trunk (these are dry cells and can be mounted in any position) and I'll put a smaller one in the front. thanks for your input though. I do appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I just recently put in a Red Top Optima after 5 years of the OEM battery. I bought a Group 35 battery which is reverse terminal and has the terminals way out to the corners like the OEM. It fits great since it's a bit smaller that the stocker.

Excellent Thread- Thank you

Question:

The chart link...I couldn't get thru to it. Do you have another address or way to get to it?

If you can help, great. If not...no need to worry. Was simply curious.

Don't know what happened, it must have been removed, but I updated the link to a different site with a similar chart (but in pdf so you can easily save it)...

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/general/Interstate_Battery_spec_sheet.pdf

I just recently put in a Red Top Optima after 5 years of the OEM battery. I bought a Group 35 battery which is reverse terminal and has the terminals way out to the corners like the OEM. It fits great since it's a bit smaller that the stocker.

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk, but I truly wish you luck with your Optima. I gave up on Optima batteries years ago, when they were still manufactured in the US, now they have moved manufacturing to Mexico, and the feedback I’ve heard is that they have only gotten worse (from a quality standpoint). I had three warranted for one vehicle (admittedly it was a truck used for extensive off-road trips, but the battery’s durability was the hallmark of Optima’s advertising), and finally gave up on them…

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

I'm honestly not trying to be a jerk, but I truly wish you luck with your Optima. I gave up on Optima batteries years ago, when they were still manufactured in the US, now they have moved manufacturing to Mexico, and the feedback I’ve heard is that they have only gotten worse (from a quality standpoint). I had three warranted for one vehicle (admittedly it was a truck used for extensive off-road trips, but the battery’s durability was the hallmark of Optima’s advertising), and finally gave up on them…

No sweat... I'll be happy to check in after 6 months, 1 year, etc. to let everyone know how the battery has held up, good or bad.

It's seems kind of like the subject of Sylvania Silverstar Ultra light bulbs. Some love 'em, some hate 'em. Some say they don't last a year. The ones in my Jeep have gone for 2 years now. I just put a set in the Subie this past week. We'll see how long they hold up a well.

I guess the subject of E3 spark plugs is another one of those touchy ones. I've never tried them. The science behind them seems sound, but lot's of folk aren't happy with the way their engines run with them. For me, the jury is still out.

Happy New Year, Subie lovers!

• 4 months later...

2006 SWP 3.0R 5EAT VDC BBQ

2008 OBP 2.5i 4EAT BBQ [RIP]

The Stock Battery is approximately 9" L x 7" w x 7" H, and mine was labeled at 430 CCA. The Battery you have linked is slightly smaller than the MTP-36R I have shown installed at the beginning of this post, so it should fit fine..

For what its worth to you, I considered the MT-34R you have linked as well. Its a good choice, but personally I elected to go for the additional 10 min reserve capacity (RC) of the MTP-36R, and forsake the additional 50 cca's, since 650 is more than enough, and I personally value reserve capacity (time the battery will sustain a 25a draw before reaching 10.5v, or discharged state) more..

If you decide on the MT-34®, be careful about terminal orientation. Group 34 batteries are by specification reverse terminal designs, so verify with Interstate if the MT-34R is actually has standard orientation terminals, since Interstate offers both an MT-34 and an MT-34R..

~Scott

'05 Outback 2.5i Wagon

• 11 months later...

I'm thinking about trying this one:

http://www.batteriesplus.com/product/44096-SLI35AGMDP-Battery/560-/5153-Car-and-Truck-Batteries/647309-Subaru/Legacy-GT.aspx

• Item number: SLI35AGMDP
  • Weight: 50.0000 lbs
  • Voltage: 12V
  • Capacity: 65AH
  • CCA: 820
  • RC: 90

http://www.batteriesplus.com/images/Product/Large/653760.jpg

It has a lower RC, but it has 8 pounds more lead in it, and is sealed. It's also $95 locally, vs. $119 for the MTP-36R.

My concern is the Reserve Capacity though, as I do have a car PC, so want long runtimes.

(Found this thread via search, didn't realize I was in the Outback forum, but I do have an Outback too!)

Turns out that the droid I talked to on the phone misled me. I asked for the above battery by part number, but he looked up my car and quoted me the stock battery. The above battery (not in stock) was over $200, which I should of expected for an AGM of course.

So I wasted an hour in rush hour traffic to get there/back for nothing, which means I won't be bothering to deal with them again.

But at $95, it would have been a good deal. : )

• 2 weeks later...

I bought the MTP-36R and put it in last week. I think I barely made it to the store, I'm not sure I could have gotten one more start out of my stock battery (without putting it back on the charger again).

I don't like how it doesn't fit the tray (as warned above), but everything else fits fine. My aluminum hold-down even fit.

It is a little shorter, so I have a good 1/2" more thread to run the nut down on the two hold-down studs.

I paid about $119 + tax I think.

• 2 years later...

Looking around for a new battery for my 2010 Legacy. I know the OEM group size is 25 and the Costco fitment size is 9 but it seems they have discontinued this model.

I measured a few and the group size 86FT (flat top) which is a Costco fitment code of 25 comes pretty close to the battery in the car now.

I am wondering if anyone has installed this battery in their car and any issues?

It's measurements are:

L 8 5/8"

W 6 1/2"

H 7 /2"

Thanks.

(bumping up an old thread, so it wouldn't clutter up the intarwebz)

So, moved from CA to CO. One letter difference, but a 60* temperature drop. :lol::lol::lol:

Old group 35 Optima served well - lasted over 4 years. It started to work really hard to start the car at 10-15*F, so I figure it's time for a replacement.

Found this thread, and went with a group 34R AGM from East Penn / Deka Battery.

http://www.eastpennmanufacturing.com/applications/automotive/

PN 9A34R

CCA @ 0*F: 775

Res Cap: 120

Weight: 41 lbs

Length: 10 3/4"

Width: 6 7/8"

Height: 8"

Like the OP, had to trim the battery tray, to get it to sit flat. Hangs out 3/4" past the tray.

Was a bitch to get it in - used my Tetris skills to get it in without dead shorting it out.

Here are some pictures. Starts real nice in the cold weather -cranks fast, and the ECM doesn't get angry.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_2486.JPG

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

Archived