LegacyGT.com

Need advice on suspension

whobaru

So here's the whole story:

Back in '00 I rolled my CRX into a tree and f'd up my neck (bad whiplash I never took care of). It still hurts everyday, so I can't take too much stiff suspension anymore. I commute to work 20 min. each way and require the occasional spirited driving in the trees so I won't race around town.

I've spent the morning searching and studying and here is what I've decided:

I'm going to upgrade to Cobb lower sways F&R to improve my terrible body roll. How important is it that I upgrade my endlinks? I understand they are good in the rear and maybe not the front because the front can "clunk". I can't find a definitve answer on how important this is and if it is only to prevent breakage. Is there any other advantage to upgrading endlinks other than the fact they will not break as easily as the stock ones will?

I've been saving up for about six months for my coilovers and am at about $1500. I'm very interested in the Tein Comfort Sports, but worry they will still be too stiff for my neck. Can anyone give me the approximate difference in spring rates between the comfort sports and stock? I know I can't ask for perfomance AND a Cadillac ride, but I'd like to get as close to that as I can. I understand the Comfort Sports may not be compatible with the EDFC motors. Is this true?

A while ago I saw a thread on coilovers that ranged in price up to about $5k, but I can't find it now. Anybody seen it? If I keep saving up and spend a ton of dough on coilovers, is that how to achieve what I am looking for? Is it more worthwhile to buy coilovers that come with the EDFC as part of a kit, or to buy something like the Teins and use the add-on EDFCs? Anybody know a ball-park on price differences or a thread where I can research this?

Also, I understand there are some sort of knuckle joints that will compensate for positive camber when cornering, but I can't find them. Anybody seen these, or better yet...anybody used them and have pics?! Any info. is greatly appreciated! I hope Xleezard chimes in here ;). Oh, I'm on stock rims with Toyo Proxy4s.

Also, for someone who's never installed these before, I'm guessing I can figure out the sways...any install advice is appreciated too. I will pay a shop if it is wise.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^^^ Very interested. Variants? EDFC compatible? Isn't EDFC the best way to get the comfort setting I'd really like?

Yes, KW Variant 2. No other KWs for our application.

No, EDFC is just a semi-useful Tein specific's gimmicks.

IC, KW has some Variant 3s on their site, I wish I knew why they're more expensive. How much did you buy yours for? How long have you had them? Why sell? Why do I ask so many questions?

I'll pm you later.

KW's are very nice. We also offer our own version of the the Variant 2's that are built by KW to our specs, called the RCE Tarmac 1's. Similar overall but use slightly different valving, and we are able to offer them for slightly less money. Same warranty, same stainless construction, just our own valving. There's a little more range towards the stiffer side of things, but they can still get soft.

Reveiws should be popping up soon. :)

- Andrew

IC, KW has some Variant 3s on their site, I wish I knew why they're more expensive.

KW Variant 3's aren't available for 2005+ Legacy, only Subaru Impreza. They are 2 way damping adjustable. Bump and rebound are seperate, so you have more options in tuning them. It does make things more complicated, but it sure is fun.

- Andrew

O' Rly? I was worried about that.

ya rly :lol:

These are by far the most comfy CO I have ever owned, but if you have a bad neck IMHO TEINs are not a good fit for you.

The EDFC isn't a gimmick.... That is coming from somone who has never spent hours adjusting a suspension manually, trust me, you will see when you get your CO it's no picnic getting them set.

A lot of members make the mistake of thinking that all CO are plug an play.... they require fine tuning just like an engine (ok maybe not as complicated). I've spent hours with a jack and CO tool getting everything even.

I too am interested in the KW Variants review.

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Thanks for some good info.

I was surprised when he said they were a "gimmick" because I read other members saying they really like them. I explored the option because I was thinking I could soften them up for long trips, and tighten them when going into the mountains. I came to find out about their benefit when "tuning" one's COs. So, if I understand correctly, I'll be getting them set initially and won't want to mess with them because I'd be losing my settings. Although, I thought I remember reading about some electronic ones that can save your settings. That is what I'd really like btw. Something where I can adjust them electronically and save my setting so I can soften them up and go back to stiff with the push of a button. Am I dreaming?

We also offer our own version of the the Variant 2's that are built by KW to our specs, called the RCE Tarmac 1's. Similar overall but use slightly different valving, and we are able to offer them for slightly less money. Same warranty, same stainless construction, just our own valving. There's a little more range towards the stiffer side of things, but they can still get soft.- Andrew

What might I be missing by not getting the more expensive Variant2s? I'll spend a little bit more if it's a noticable difference.

Archived