LegacyGT.com

Headlight question

Where can I find directions on how to remove the headlight assembly?

I am going to be purchasing new headlamps today and need directions on how to remove them

The car I will be working with will be a 1995 Subaru Legacy L

20150617_070605.thumb.jpg.28f0b43276e31ef78ebd96c079bc96d3.jpg

20150617_070735.thumb.jpg.44a51cb31a08ae27d3f8b2fb5e9270f9.jpg

20150617_070544.thumb.jpg.642a03391b4de18b0a3826f6d0e0df70.jpg

20150617_070551.thumb.jpg.04c4f632f717fd53de124276d3fcb95b.jpg

there is a sticky at the top of the forum with the fsm all linked, there is step by steps on how to do anything to that car. but really, its pretty easy. two bolts at the top, one in behind the grill. theres a popper at the corner, and its out.

I think you need to remove the grill too. There are some clips that hold the grill on. They are on the top iirc, maybe four or so? Also, the harness plug can be on the bulb pretty good so be careful pulling it off. Often on our models the driver's side clip melts for some reason so inspect that.

You take a flathead screwdriver to press in the springy clip part of it and carefully pull it off. I work one clip at a time and pull the grill a little bit as I work my way across.

But why are you replacing the headlights? They don't appear cracked from your pics, just a bit cloudy. It's easy to polish them up and make them look new and is a lot cheaper than new headlight assemblies.

there is a sticky at the top of the forum with the fsm all linked, there is step by steps on how to do anything to that car. but really, its pretty easy. two bolts at the top, one in behind the grill. theres a popper at the corner, and its out.

I noticed the two bolts.

But do I have to take out the grill to get the headlights out?

Whatcha mean there is a popper at the corner?

But why are you replacing the headlights? They don't appear cracked from your pics, just a bit cloudy. It's easy to polish them up and make them look new and is a lot cheaper than new headlight assemblies.

What can I use to polish them up?

I was buying new ones because I can't see at night time unless I have them on HIGH BEAM.

3M sells a kit that is readily available at any auto parts store: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/3M-39008-Headlight-Restoration-System/dp/B001AIZ5HY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434553504&sr=8-3&keywords=3m+headlight+polish&pebp=1434553516489&perid=1XETFBJXA0Y6WA6WGB4N]Amazon.com: 3M 39008 Headlight Lens Restoration System: Automotive[/ame]

Here is a great DIY for headlight restoration from thomistopholes: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/headlight-restoration-guide-201687.html

Yeah, the stock headlights suck. Maybe get some better bulbs too. The best thing to do is to buy JDM projector headlights and swap them in but it's sort of an involved process and requires some modification to the headlights.

I noticed the two bolts.

But do I have to take out the grill to get the headlights out?

Whatcha mean there is a popper at the corner?

first time i pulled mine i didnt remove the grill. after that, i removed it to make it easier. as for the popper thing, at the corner by the turn signal, theres a stud that clips into a hole inside the fender. took me a while to get used to yanking on it to free it up, kept feeling like i was going to break it.

and thomistopheles is the man for restoring headlights. his DIY is top notch. that said, i just used a meguiars kit with a buffer wheel. didnt take too long and yielded decent results. i never got around to doing the final topcoat to protect it from thoms thread.

Two bolts on top, 1 behind the grille.

You don't need to remove the headlights to re-finish them.

Here is a step by step on re-finishing. So far it's still as clear as the day I did it. The final UV protectant is key http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dvelup-headlight-restoration-system-231299.html?t=231299&highlight=dvelup

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived