LegacyGT.com

Nitrogen Enriched

Okay, just got back from the local Shell station where I noticed something new. There is a sign at the entrance that touts new "Nitrogen Enriched" gasoline. Okay, please explain to me why adding an inert gas, to a fluid that you want to combust, is good. I looked it up online and read that the ploy is "that nitrogen enhances cleaning elements in Shell gasolines partly by making them more stable at the higher temperatures at which modern engines tend to operate, so the additive can work more effectively in current engines that use technology like fuel injection." (http://www.mediapost.com/publications/?fa=Articles.showArticle&art_aid=101274)

There has to be an engineering-based, logical answer that is not related to mystery "cleaning elements". Maybe they used nitrogen to force more oil out of the well, and the nitrogen stayed in solution through the refining process? So, the ad wizards that came up with this one use that to their advantage. That sounds more believable than the cleaning agent deal.

Anyone? Anyone?

yeah i just saw a commercial today with that. they claim it helps remove the deposits (whatever they are) left behind from other (supposedly inferior) gasolines.

N2 is the inert gas, so thats probably not in the gas (well besides whats normally dissolved at atmospheric temp and pressures)

NO2 = nitrite

NO3 = nitrate

NH4NO3 = the nitrogen used in fertilizers

doubt the nitrogen in the gas is any of these :)

i'll dig a little deeper and will see if i can find a more chemistry-oriented explanation.

meh. i didn't dig that deep, but this sounds like another marketing ploy. these "detergents" are already in gasoline currently, mandated a long time ago by the EPA.

i guess Shell is just adding more of whatever detergent above and beyond the government's recommended/required levels.

here's the wikipedia page, but i never liked using wikipedia. :lol:

so, this crap is already in any brand of gas you probably already purchase...but shell just decided to add more. :eek:

meh. i didn't dig that deep, but this sounds like another marketing ploy. these "detergents" are already in gasoline currently, mandated a long time ago by the EPA.

i guess Shell is just adding more of whatever detergent above and beyond the government's recommended/required levels.

well, DUH!!

Ever hear of Top Tier? Shell has always added more than the gov requires. That's their thing.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

Yes, Top Tier fuels really do have a benefit to your engine. All gas from the refinery is equal, but then companies like Chevron and Shell (and others) have their own additives that they mix in as well.

Even in the gas industry (retail branding) everyone agrees that Chevron and Shell are the best two brands of gas you can put in your car because of the additive packs they use. Of course, you won't find any literature about that, but if you talk with someone in the know, they'll share this.

Top Tier also has a lot more to it than just the additive packs. You also have to show that all of your tanks are up to a certain quality and all kinds of other stuff.

• 3 months later...

Sunday I was dangerously low on fuel, so I stopped at a Shell station. (Mobil is my usual brand).

Is this my imagination or does this stuff run better in my car than Mobil? I datalogged with this fuel last night and I see an additional 2 degrees of timing all the way across the rpm range. My KC is consistantly +6 all the time, these Shell logs show +8. I swear the car revs faster too.

So I did some more research,... it seems this nitrogen thing is just a different way of carrying the detergent in the gasoline. Almost like adding water to the fuel to stabilize the passage of the detergent into "high combustion temp conditions", thus allowing more detergent to actually reach the "gunk", as Shell calls it. Has anyone tried this stuff and felt the car run better? The whole theory tells me less gas and more additives= less BTU's per gallon. But the other half of my reasoning is better detonation resistance due to the claimed high temp stability? I have yet to get MPG results with this tank, but I sure will be doing some experimenting and logging between this fuel and my normal Mobil 93.

Can anyone chime in with thier own experiences with this fuel?

I haven't datalogged. But from the seat of my pants I can feel a difference I usually use Gulf or Mobil (no Shell nearby) but when I do it runs smoother and feels like it pulls harder.

Next time I see you....for the swaybar install you will have to give me a 5 minute datalog course

Get a Shell MC. 5% back

Got one baby!!!

;););)

I have only put Shell V-Power gas on my cars (turbo: WRX, S4 and LGT, besides A6, FX, and others) since 2000 or so....

Really happy with their quality

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

on my roadtrip from PA to GA and back, i filled up (almost complete tank each time) with either sunoco (usual place i get my gas at home) and shell. on the mpg computer thing, i consistantly got 31.2mpg with the shell, and 29.Xmpg with sunoco. i was switching between the two and it was consistant each time.

on my roadtrip from PA to GA and back, i filled up (almost complete tank each time) with either sunoco (usual place i get my gas at home) and shell. on the mpg computer thing, i consistantly got 31.2mpg with the shell, and 29.Xmpg with sunoco. i was switching between the two and it was consistant each time.

Sh!t!!!

I can never get more than 24mpg, well I usually cruise at 75mph though

:mad::mad::mad:

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I can't help but think these claimed differences in performance has nothing to do with the gasoline, and instead is due to weather conditions like temperature, humidity, etc. :hide:

Archived