LegacyGT.com

Fuel Question

I have a 96 Legacy

Is there anyway to tell if the

1. Fuel Filter is BAD?

2. If the Fuel Pump is BAD?

I saw on youtube that if you turn the key and put your ear to the gas cap, with the cap off of course, if you do not hear a buzz when the key is turned that the fuel pump is bad? Is this true?

Thanks

Not sure about that, though I would think you would be able to hear something that way. I know in my car you can hear the fuel pump from the driver's seat if you listen for it. I would think if you have someone turn the ignition on while you are lying near the back of the car you should be able to hear it prime. Doesn't necessarily mean it will consistently work while you're driving though. What problem are you having exactly?

you could take the fuel filter off and simply pour a little gas out the side that is going into the engine if it looks dirty it definitely needs to be changed. Although if you don't know if the filter has ever been changed its like 25$ or less and a pretty easy item to change, if your fuel filter is really plugged up it would affect how hard your fuel pump has to work. I would change the filter and hope my issue's resolve.

You could probably disconnect the in line to the fuel filter and start the car. If the pump is good fuel will come out. Just have a way to catch it without it spilling. Just turn it over a couple of seconds. I have not tried this myself (disclaimer!)

• I Donated

NO!

A fuel pump could "work" but still be bad. It needs to be able to put a certain amount of PSI to the engine. There is such thing as a weak fuel pump that still "works" but won't let the car run.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

NO!

A fuel pump could "work" but still be bad. It needs to be able to put a certain amount of PSI to the engine. There is such thing as a weak fuel pump that still "works" but won't let the car run.

this. i had a car die on the road, sounded like skipped timing. had fuel coming out of the line, so we didnt even think of the pump. turns out it was only pumping at 7psi, for normal running it was supposed to be up around 19. changed the pump, all good. sure, that was a civic but the theory is the same.

Archived