LegacyGT.com

engine rod noise on 2005 legacy 2.5L

My sister's legacy 2.5L non turbo engine started knocking and the engine needs replacing. She told me she checked the oil and it would read low, she would add oil and then the dipstick would read overfilled. When the mechanic took the pan off, he said there was no oil in the oil pan and the car has no leaks anywhere. Has anyone had a similar problem with this particular model and engine since it was only made for one year. I need help right away on this so any information would be very much appreciated. It is going to cost over $6,000 to repair. Thank you.

Have an '07 2.5i in the shop right now for a simlar reason. Nothing leaking. No residue anywher on or around the engine. Nothing on the driveway. Nothing on the ground at my spot at work. No grey in the tailpipes. OIC always at or less than 3750 miles since I bought it. I have only owned it for half of its milage.

Current status:

Oil Pump - Shot

Oil Pickup - Shot

SHORT BLOCK - SHOT

If the stealership is putting in a whole new engine then the price is not too far off. Depends on what they charge for labor and what they are reusing from the 1st motor.

Just saying her story could definitely be legit.

Thanks everyone for your info. I was a mechanic for over 12 years and I found out from the shop that my sister did run it dry and hadn't changed the oil since last october. That is why the pan was dry. I will try to find a used engine at a reasonable price.

• 4 weeks later...
Same story here. Original owner, 2007 Outback 2.5i, started knocking at 112,000 miles. Thing has burned oil since new and knowing this, I kept on top of it. I've had other cars that burn oil, but they're usually German and I expect that. I'll never buy another Subaru again. POS.

Archived