LegacyGT.com

Going to look at 2007 Spec B... Help Please

Im planning on traveling out of state to go look at a 2007 Spec B with ~100,500 miles on it. It looks all stock and carfax shows no accidents and dealer maintenance. They are asking ~$15k.

What should I look for? I doubt I'll be able to check the turbo for shaft play. The Carfax shows nothing about timing belt service. The drivetrain should be stout, i'd just hate to purchase the car and have the motor go up a couple thousand miles down the road.

Im owned a 2006 WRX wagon a couple years back and miss it. Figure the Spec B would be my "grown up" STI (with IAG down the street im sure we can make it more entertaining than stock). Im going to be selling my 2000 Wrangler that i've owned since new (not looking forward to that) so this will be my DD.

Any help in what I should check for would be appreciated. Were it local, i'd have the shop give it a PPI but unfortunately I doubt the dealership will allow for that...

• I Donated Too

Then unfortunately you are caveat emptor. You're going to have to go with your gut but look for anything that may have shown this car was already molested. Are you familiar with these cars at all otherwise a lot of 'add on' parts may still look stock to you.

A good dealer would still allow you to have the car inspected and $15K is still a LOT of money for a car, especially with over 100K on it. Timing belt not actually due until 105K so unless you can drop the right hand side timing cover (3x10mm bolts on right side and the left side could be done too but harder and not necessary) then you can at least eyeball the belt and a few of the timing gears - I expect they haven't been done. Talk the car price down - the timing belt will need to be done the moment you get the car and it's expensive, don't let them do it - they'll likely do it cheap and won't change all the pullys or use a good kit or do it properly! (Is this a Subaru dealer selling it by the way?)

Car should start and idle nicely, drive strong with good strong boost and no strange whistling noises/knocks or funky clutch problems/noises - Look for obvious oil leaks and check the oil before you drive and look for leaks after you drive in case the seller wiped them down. These cars should have a plastic cover underneath so you won't be able to see all you need to - take a good very bright LED flashlight and peer at as much as you can.

If you like the car... be prepared to invest money to make her happy - these cars are addictive but if you don't want to shoot the heroin then walk away now... and don't look back. Use your eyes and follow your gut instinct... even if this was a 'bad' car there's some who would still buy it and fix it up, that's how much they are liked. But we wouldn't be paying $15K if that's what state it's in...

Im fairly knowledgeable about these cars... I can tell if a turbo has been replaced or generally if any body work was done. I was going to have them put her up on a lift after I drove it to have a look around underneath. Im sure the suspension will need attention after the timing belt service is performed. This car is NOT at a Subaru dealership.

Im selling my Jeep because it may possibly need a motor and I dont feel (currently) that I want to invest the time/money into it anymore. Hopefully I dont regret this move.

• I Donated Too

as long as you don't think the suspension needs work because of the timing belt... Can you tell if a Turbo was replaced every time? Getting it on a lift will help.

And I suspect as a guess... the timing belt and pulley's water pump etc. have not been changed yet. It's likely the original owner ditched the car before it was due as maybe he felt the cost of the work wasn't worth investing in. It is due at 105K - You won't regret the move if you like good handling and sporty cars but it won't be the end of you spending time/money...

im down the street from IAG... the car is 2 hours from them... a PPI is probably out. Might have to pass on this one. But its soooo nice!

Oh I see. Well then I would tell them they need to prove the compression.

And of course they are getting a lot of calls lol. They want you o impulsivity pick it up before the other "buyers" do :lol:

torque impresses girrls, hp impresses flat-bills

I know the games ;)

I told the guy I talked to that if someone wants it bad enough they can have it... He tried telling me that hes "sure" the work was already performed. I told him, unless I see receipts, the price has to be adjusted or im not driving up there.

• I Donated Too

Good for you! Yes!

The Spec B would be a popular car for those seeking an LGT but glad you are playing cool right back with them on this!

Do you also have the VIN - have you tried searching for the number anywhere, is the car online we can also see?

• I Donated Too
doesn't scream that it's been tinkered with, looks all fairly well looked after and left stock but that's all I can say about it - no idea if it's had problems or what's going on under the hood. But so far no red flags.

I talked to the sales person again... he cant get in touch with the previous owner. I told him I'd gladly drive up if they were willing to wheel and deal. He called me back and told me "if you drive up here, we wont waste your time" (heard that one before).

I'd msg Laff79 but im planning on driving up with the wife tomorrow. Promised her a trip by King of Prussia mall to butter her up haha.

What should I aim for? I figure i'd start at $12,500 and see where they wanna go :hide:

On a side note (and kind of an important one...). Does the 2007 Spec B come with heated seats???

heated seats-yes and they will be blue

BTW, it will be sold by the EOD to someone who put a deposit on it

I donated to LegacyGT.com which allows me to have this nifty signature. :p

If anything SCASEYS posts ever becomes a sticky i'm gonna light this whole place on fire :lol:

Archived