LegacyGT.com

Guide to the 30,000 mile service

Primarily for 05+ GT's:

Called a stealership today to schedule my 30,000 mile service and got quoted $750!!! Was told it was because they were going to change the fuel filter, differential fluids as well as spark plugs and brake fluids etc. I'm sure you can see where this is going.

Called a couple of dealerships and finally got the straight scoop from Marin Subaru (they always are straight up there) along with a helping from "Vacation Pix" and lgt.com posters

So, before you get hot coal raked by dodgy dealer (not Marin, though :lol:), I just wanted to summarize what has come up before on the boards and what is needed for the 30K service as there seems to be some misinformation coming from Subaru and the dealers:

Things the stealer actually needs to do/replace:

1) Change Brake Fluid

2) Flush/Replace Coolant

3) Oil/Filter Change

4) Replace Air Filter

5) Rotate Tires

Things the stealer needs to look at and check (don't let them charge more than 0.5 hours for this at the very most):

1) Inspect camshaft belt

2) Inspect cooling system hoses and connections

3) Look at fuel system connections (only possible in engine compartment)

4) Inspect gear/differential oil

5) Inspect Axle Boots, Axle Shafts

6) Inspect brake linings and rotors

7) Inspect clutch operation (actually a mechanical check done with the master cylinder for clutch

8) Inspect Automatic transmission fluid (for 5EAT)

Things the dealer does not need to do/ cannot do:

1) Change fuel filter:

the fuel filter is a part of the fuel pump in LGT's located under the rear passenger seat. It cannot be replaced easily, and is not meant to be.

2) Replace spark plugs.

The LGT has the iridium plugs that need to be changed every 60,000 miles. The service guide on mysubaru etc. will say to change at 30,000, but the service manual and the plug manufacturer recommends 60,000. 2.5i's need them changed at 30,000 miles.

3) Replace Differential fluids:

Differential fluid does not need to be replaced at 30,000 miles. You can do it if you like, but it's like throwing out milk that hasn't gone bad yet just because it might go bad in a couple of weeks.

So let's talk price:

On their own for the above work at a Subaru dealer: (best prices found from Subie dealers in the bay), including labor and parts:

Oil Change: $35

Coolant Change: $80

Brake fluid replacement: $120

Air Filter: $30

Tire Rotation: $30

Max. Labor for inspections: 0.5 hours at $120= $60

Total Price: $355

I'd set that as the target price:, and I can tell you that no dealer is charging that little in the bay. The range I was quoted was $450-$750 from 6 dealers.

If I've gone wrong somewhere, let me know and I'll make edits. Just thought it would help to have this all in one place.

Edit: changed platimum to iridium in spark plug description.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2) Replace spark plugs.

The LGT has the platinum plugs that need to be changed every 60,000 miles. The service guide on mysubaru etc. will say to change at 30,000, but the service manual and the plug manufacturer recommends 60,000. 2.5i's need them changed at 30,000 miles.

3) Replace Differential fluids:

Differential fluid does not need to be replaced at 30,000 miles. You can do it if you like, but it's like throwing out milk that hasn't gone bad yet just because it might go bad in a couple of weeks.

My understanding is that you are supposed to change the diff and 5MT tranny fluid at 30K... not just inspect. I agree.. it is a little early for this service... but I would rather get any metal shavings (from break in) out and do a fluid inspection rather than roll the dice.

And the LGT has Iridium plugs... not platinum. The 2.5i's have platinum.

If I were going to change the MT transmission/differential oil, I would probably switch to Red Line Synthetic Oil. When I had an Audi A4, the switch to 75-w90 red line made a noticable difference. That said, it was 180,000 miles into it when I did the switch, so anything would be an improvement.

I had mine done recently for $420. That also included tearing apart the dash to replace the air filtration filter. This explains my mysterious filter appearing in my car. Included was diff oil and ATF. This was done at Maita Subaru in Sacramento.

Scotty, good info. Santa Cruz Subaru wants $695. Looks like it's worth a trip to Sacramento to have this done.

As for changing gear oils: the wear between gears should be greatest when the car's new. It makes sense to me to change it. For another example, Kubota (tractors) has a 50 hour hydraulic fluid and filter change requirement on their tractors, and the next change is at 300 hours. Swarf in the hydraulic system is never a good thing and they think it's so important that the 50 hour change is free.

The specs you are quoting do not include the "Severe duty" recomendations that 99% of all drivers vehicle's fall into...

...those would recomend transmission fluid & differential fluids every 15k (Severe duty).

I had my 30K done for $302 at Mitchell Subaru in Canton, CT. They did everything on your list. And here I was thinking that CT was $$$ - glad I moved away from Orinda, CA in 1980 - CA has gotten too much granola-y for me (you know, land of the fruits and nuts...)

Don't forget the "frisbees" and "spotted owls" too!!:lol:

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

John Lassiter, the Marin Service Manager, is the most straight-up person I have ever dealt with in his vocation. Marin is actually more reasonable than the independent mechanics, and have a few gurus on their staff. I've been bringing my Subarus and a Miata to them since the early 90's. They even figured out how to solve the rattling pads in my StopTech calipers and re-engineereed the steering column that was pryed loose on my Miata.

With Suby bucks and reasonable rates, it is really a no brainer. They even put the rental car on the invoice so that the Suby bucks covers it.

+1 for John. He's been my go to guy for all my idiot questions. He's across the bay from where I live, but Subie Marin is definitely getting all of my business thanks to him.

• 4 weeks later...
The first mistake is calling for an appointment and asking to have the 30,000 mile service done or asking what they charge for it. Ask for what you want done a la carte. That way you are just paying for what needs to be done. Never had a problem with any dealer when I have done this and it also gives the impression that you know something about what is going on rather than just asking for them to do what needs to be done. Do we have a thread listing the going prices for maintenance items such as plugs, fluid changes, coolant change, etc? Might be a useful comparison so people can see if what they are quoted is out of line or not.
It is still ugly.

can i let you guys in on a little "dealership" secret...

i work for mercedes benz... and HALF OF THE TECHS don't inspect anything specific.. they just look over the whole car and try to sell whatever they can... on a 60K for a benz.. it's a coolant flush, brake flush, spark plugs, dust filter, wiper blades, fuel filter, check over suspension and engine compartment and check tires an brakes an a tire rotate if the wheels aren't staggered... but as far as "lubing the door catches and hood catches an stuff, no one ever does that... you're better off doing it yourself ;]

in better terms... for MB, there's an A Service and a B Service.. an A is an oil change and "basic inspection".. it's about 225 dollars.. then the B is an oil change, wipers, and dust filter... and a "vigorous" inspection which is about 400 dollars... but regardless if the techs are doing an A or B service.. we all look at the same things, so the "basic and vigorous" inspection diferences are obsolete.. know what i mean?

can i let you guys in on a little "dealership" secret...

i work for mercedes benz... and HALF OF THE TECHS don't inspect anything specific.. they just look over the whole car and try to sell whatever they can... on a 60K for a benz.. it's a coolant flush, brake flush, spark plugs, dust filter, wiper blades, fuel filter, check over suspension and engine compartment and check tires an brakes an a tire rotate if the wheels aren't staggered... but as far as "lubing the door catches and hood catches an stuff, no one ever does that... you're better off doing it yourself ;]

in better terms... for MB, there's an A Service and a B Service.. an A is an oil change and "basic inspection".. it's about 225 dollars.. then the B is an oil change, wipers, and dust filter... and a "vigorous" inspection which is about 400 dollars... but regardless if the techs are doing an A or B service.. we all look at the same things, so the "basic and vigorous" inspection diferences are obsolete.. know what i mean?

Wow, so you are admittedly defrauding customers and admitting it online? It's no wonder so many people don't trust their dealer.

I know a place that does everything on the list, maintenance & inspections so people get what they are paying for (and what they are expecting to get).

Look at the hinges before and after. a spray lube should be evident. at the very least, the road dust should be disturbed a bit...

look at the brake fluid and other levels before and after. mark the oil filter position (the mark should not be there afterward, let alone not be in the same position.) Heck, even bring in a new filter for them to use, with a mark on it...

Lubricating the window seals.... hehehehehehe :lol: That means applying vinyl conditioner. don't you do that every few washes, or a major detail job?

Then again, I am much more likely to do this work myself. I have been burned by technicians enough, when they haven't completed the work I paid for. Like electrical shorts that burned up connectors after being "repaired", alternators that were not diagnosed and failed again, alignments that were completely wrong due to bad reference information... I could go on... No small stuff because I do all of that myself (I think I have replaced more failed ignition coils than the number of cars I have owned...) and have since I was 14 years old.

This stuff isn't rocket science. If you don't feel up to doing the service yourself, at least inform yourself and take note of things before, and after, to see if you are getting your money's worth. I know it is a pain, and it shouldn't be required in an ideal world. profiteering/racketeering and fraud should not be as common as they are.

But an ideal world hasn't existed since the garden of eden, and humans screwed that one up, too.

Archived