LegacyGT.com

New recall for brake lines

This is a new recall, just posted June 10, and requires more inspection/rust proofing, in addition to last year's recall.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 14V311000

SUMMARY:

Subaru of America, Inc. (Subaru) is recalling certain model year 2005-2009 Outback and Legacy, 2008-2011 Impreza and 2008-2014 Impreza WRX/STI, and 2009-2013 Forester vehicles, currently, or formerly, registered in Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Wisconsin and the District of Columbia. Salt water could splash on the brake lines through a gap in the fuel tank protector, resulting in excessive corrosion of the brake lines.

CONSEQUENCE:

Brake line corrosion may result in brake fluid leakage. Fluid leakage may result in longer distances being required to slow or stop the vehicle, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:

Subaru will notify owners, and dealers will test the brake system by depressing the brake pedal and inspecting for brake fluid leaks. If no brake fluid seepage is observed, the affected areas will be rustproofed with anti-corrosion wax. If brake fluid seepage is observed, the brake lines will be replaced followed by rustproofing with anti-corrosion wax. These services will be performed free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule. Owners may contact Subaru at 1-800-782-2783. Subaru's recall campaign number is WQK-47. Note: This recall supersedes recall 13V-110 which applied to certain 2005-2009 Legacy/Outback vehicles. Vehicles that were remedied under the previous campaign still need additional areas rust-proofed.

NOTES:

Owners may also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration Vehicle Safety Hotline at 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), or go to http://www.safercar.gov.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=7yl6T1vB4JtNpsG2rb7r8wJnV6DYnTh2s2nC7BmsL8YZDPtZ5x4f!-1849534570

Gee, didn't some of see this was going to happen...or at least think it was.

Thanks for the heads up.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm glad I live in an area where rust isn't very much of a problem.

10' CTS-V, A6, Airraid, 2.4 upper, ID850's, self tuned.

SOLD:06' LGT Wagon. BNR16G, Catless UP, DOWN, Hexmods VB, Hexmods diff bushings, BIG TMIC.

Best 0-60: 4.651 by AP

1/4= 13.678@100.73 mph, 1.945 60', Automatic transmission.

:rolleyes:

Maybe read it a little more carefully...

Why bother? It's basically a request to get people who don't normally go into the dealership (for good reason) an excuse ( "Oh God, your safety is at risk!" ) to go to the dealership and let some asshat f*ck up their car.

• 3 weeks later...
is this necessary if you have SS brake lines?

If the lines are not OEM and were retrofitted I would guess Subaru wants no part of this. If you're not the original owner you could always bring it in and play dumb about the replacement lines. Just see what they have to say.

I went in last week and the dealer gave my car a 20 minute inspection and sprayed some anti-rust material on the brake lines (again).

• 3 weeks later...

I took pictures of the joint connector they coated during the last recall before, and after I took my car in for this new recall. It looks like they definitely do re-coat the same joint connector that they did during the last recall, but I'm not sure if that was all that they did.

I thought I might've overheard a service adviser talking on the phone about this recall to a customer, stating that this time around they are coating the joint connector with a different product. I can't be sure about that though, I only overhead part of the conversation, and don't remember exactly what she said.

First picture is before I took my car in recently, and second and third pictures are after I took my car in. I think I got the last recall done in May or June of last year? So the before picture is after around one year of driving I think, with a fair amount of driving during the winter time in salt covered roads.

before.thumb.jpg.ba1879a589f7cb05605f87f5f1b8e362.jpg

after.thumb.jpg.2bd401cb2c7e6d94b650e407cf0ae6ac.jpg

after2.thumb.jpg.245b1bd88e3efd812601d077197ca0a8.jpg

Edited by apexi

Another excuse to visit Total Wine in Cherry Hill....just down the street from the dealer.

That has to be the best dealership I ever been to, most likely its due to it's location being super close to SoA.

Quick question, my car sat up for a while(3 years) so it hasn't seen that much Cleveland salt. Would the dealership just blow me off till it showed signs of rust? I haven't had any recalls performed on the car at all.

Edited by Merc6

No take it in and have it checked out. If it sat with that salt on the lines and not being driven in the rian to wash it off, you could have a issue.

BTW, had the wagon done yesterday, well have the Spec done next Tuesday.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

No take it in and have it checked out. If it sat with that salt on the lines and not being driven in the rian to wash it off, you could have a issue.

BTW, had the wagon done yesterday, well have the Spec done next Tuesday.

Yeah engine went in the winter so it had seen salt now that I think about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stupid question, how much crap are they going to give me if I bring my car in for this with Hogzaust? Just did it a week ago to hear the sound and see if I would ever want an exhaust in the future. Edited by POWERPRO