LegacyGT.com

Strange whistling problem

azca

My LGT06 is starting to develop a weird problem.

Sometimes when I drive with driver window down I hear quite loud annoying whistling noise which I think is coming from front left (driver side) tire.

Problem is it doesn't happen all the time. Some days it's not there, others it's there and constant. Sounds like something is rubbing

Could this maybe be the brake pads getting stuck on the rotors (not getting pushed away far enough) or wheel bearing going bad? I have the stock brakes (never changed) with 27k miles.

any ideas?

My LGT06 is starting to develop a weird problem.

Sometimes when I drive with driver window down I hear quite loud annoying whistling noise which I think is coming from front left (driver side) tire.

Problem is it doesn't happen all the time. Some days it's not there, others it's there and constant. Sounds like something is rubbing

any ideas?

ME TOO!!!

I just discovered this last Friday, when i had my driver window down driving in a parking lot!!! I had a hard time tracking down where the noise is coming form tho

○ ○ ○

Instagram: itshangertime :spin::spin::spin: ○ ○ ○

wind whistle and mirror whistle have a different sound.

guys getting the wind whistle fold back the drivers side mirror, and remove the sticker that's hidden in there.

Brake scream - if you think it's your brakes, but aren't really sure exactly then pull a front wheel, and take a look at your pads.

I drove all day today and the whistle is not there; though it was very loud yesterday.

I am thinking, could this be temperature related? It was hot yesterday and cool today.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I may be experiencing the same issue. for a couple months, when its warm enough to roll down the windows I have been hearing a whine. Its definitely a metallic sound, so that rules out the wind/window/rear view combo.

I had also assumed it was brake related, possibly indicators... however when I inspected the pads I had more then enough left. My tires are not rubbing, so that rules them out. I fear I have bad bearings.

So what I have noticed:

- The sound is there at any speed, at least 3 MPH and above.

- If the car is cold (first drive in a few hours) the sound does not appear for a couple of minutes.

- the sound is there regardless if I am on the brake or not.

- the sound is very audible when I drive past a wall (the echo makes it much more noticeable)

I am taking it in this afternoon, and hopefully a tech will drive the car with me so we can get this fixed once and for all. I will let you guys know how it turns out for me.

Cheers,

Ryan

Hanger - I let the tech drive the car around the back lot of the dealer, he noticed the noise within a couple minutes. Without looking at it, he also thought it was a wheel bearing. He went on to tell me that he has replaced several wheel bearings on 06's. However, not that many as of late. Of course he won't know for sure if its the bearing until he racks the car for a closer look.

I found another thread in the warranty forum that also talks about this noise. It looks like its pretty common on the MY06. I will update you again when I get my leggy back.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

My car started making that sort of noise a few months ago. I thought maybe it was an exhaust leak because it started happening around the time I went stage 2. Would an exhaust leak be louder? To me, it sounds like a belt squeek/whistling noise, louder on the driver's side.

I guess I'll have the dealer check it out when they are replacing my seat cushion.

Archived