LegacyGT.com

Not able to get into 1st gear

I was out having some fun in the snow last night and whatnot, and then I came to a stop and needed to launch, but I wasn't able to put my car into first gear. All the other gears are fine - any thoughts on what the issue could be?

I was out having some fun in the snow last night and whatnot, and then I came to a stop and needed to launch, but I wasn't able to put my car into first gear. All the other gears are fine - any thoughts on what the issue could be?

Contact "underdog" he may be able to help with the rebuild. He's in your area.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Check the linkage underneath to make sure nothing is stuck in it or binding it up. You can see it all from underneath right above the dive line. Have someone go through the gears and see if you notice anything. After installing my short throw shifter and new bushings, I had to grind off the little hook on the big pivot bushing washer because it was rubbing my first gear shift, even preventing it sometimes. The"spring retainer" hook is UN necessary on our cars anyway.

PM underdog, he may know of a good tranny guy.

My guy is in windsor locks CT

If you can pull the tranny, the shift forks are about $160 for the 3 of them.

Plus what ever else needs replacing while it s apart. Figure at least $300 for tranny parts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm thinking this won't call for a rebuild. I bent the shifter forks in a tranny once and although a couple hundred bucks it was a lot better than $1,000. I was horsing around when it happened too.

As for having trouble shifting into 1st or Reverse. Have a look on Wiki how trannies work and you'll see why that is. On a BW I had years ago, I had to shift into 5fth first before going into Reverse if I didn't want to buzz my hand. Maybe try this strategy.

Archived