LegacyGT.com

Bilstein BTS kit group buy...?

May be off subject, but I'm going to use a set of Koni Yellows (for a Legacy), and make my own kit to maintain the factory ride height.

I want to hear how this turns out, but it is off-topic from this thread.

Do us a favor, really, and start a new thread once you've figured this out...

Bimmer

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1885 is ridiculous.

I'll see if I can put something together for you guys. I think I know a few people who are still over there.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

$1885 is ridiculous.

I'll see if I can put something together for you guys. I think I know a few people who are still over there.

If $1885 is ridiculous, please let us know how much you can bring this in for to door. I do not think its fair for you to call it ridiculous without posting a price yourself.

Thanks,

J

If $1885 is ridiculous, please let us know how much you can bring this in for to door. I do not think its fair for you to call it ridiculous without posting a price yourself.

Thanks,

J

I'm not a vendor, nor do I plan on becoming one. I will ask my friends in Japan if they know of any place that can get them for closer to the Japanese street price, and if they do then I will relay that information back here. How is it unfair that I have an opinion of your price?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm not a vendor, nor do I plan on becoming one. I will ask my friends in Japan if they know of any place that can get them for closer to the Japanese street price, and if they do then I will relay that information back here. How is it unfair that I have an opinion of your price?

You are free to comment, but at least with some supporting info to justify your statement would be what I consider fair.

Anyway let's wait for the price to speak for itself - will look forward to it. I assume your street price does not consider - exchange rates fluctuations, international/domestic freight, duties, payment fees.

I'll leave it at that.

Cheers,

J

not sure that's the right topic, but I've asked KYB tech-support about the stiffness of their Excel/GR-2 shocks, and the answer is

"# 341443 (USA market) will be firmer than the original unit by approx 10-15%"

did anyone actually tried those (or we assume they're crap and we should 100% go for the Billsteins)?

by the way I've also asked them about their model for EU market, the answer is ~

" there are enough differences that I would not use one to replace the other.# 341354 (EU) is shorter in all key measurements."

cheers,

Alex

You are free to comment, but at least with some supporting info to justify your statement would be what I consider fair.

Anyway let's wait for the price to speak for itself - will look forward to it. I assume your street price does not consider - exchange rates fluctuations, international/domestic freight, duties, payment fees.

I'll leave it at that.

Cheers,

J

$1885 is a fair price, considering the current exchange rates and shipping, from a company that is actually in business bringing us parts from outside the continent, door-to-door. I researched several sources, and HKC's price is the lowest of all the professional importers that offer the kit to us (see earlier posts).

If you want to go through a "friend-of-a-friend" then yeah, you'll probably pay less for the kit, but i hope you will compensate your friend in some way for the favor and doing the work - that's just me, though; i don't like exploiting my friends :)

If we're talking a private group buy, then that's yet another deal...

not sure that's the right topic, but I've asked KYB tech-support about the stiffness of their Excel/GR-2 shocks, and the answer is

"# 341443 (USA market) will be firmer than the original unit by approx 10-15%"

did anyone actually tried those (or we assume they're crap and we should 100% go for the Billsteins)?

by the way I've also asked them about their model for EU market, the answer is ~

" there are enough differences that I would not use one to replace the other.# 341354 (EU) is shorter in all key measurements."

cheers,

Alex

Don't buy the GR-2s if you're looking for an improvement in handling. I currently have them on my OBXT and they made very little difference - i think the alignment and replacement bushings i installed at the same time made a bigger difference. If used with some OB-specific King springs, that would be better but then you may as well use the stock struts.

The positive is that they didn't cost much at all and now i have a set of stock strut bodies to experiment with...

Don't buy the GR-2s if you're looking for an improvement in handling. I currently have them on my OBXT and they made very little difference - i think the alignment and replacement bushings i installed at the same time made a bigger difference.

well I've ordered them already.. but the price is quite OK even if it's minor upgrade. Which bushings have you changed, maybe I can replace them as well? any part #?

By the way I've put rear stabilizer from EU cars (~17mm), there is quite a bit of difference on cornering and crosswinds (much better!)

Edited by tarambuka3500

There is a question in here to anyone out there with a non-USDM Outback: do you consider your Outback’s ride & handling “controlled, crisp and tight?” Is all the complaining from US owners? Or do Euro, Australian, N. Zealand, or Asia-spec owners also yearn for the Bilstein kit?

This thread is all over the Bilstein kit out of Japan. If I had a gazillion dollars and still wanted an Outback, I would buy the BTS kit. But first I want to be sure there isn't a cheaper, yet reliable alternative. I am pursuing getting KYB information for a Euro-spec Outback. In Europe, KYB has a 341354 rear shock (vs USDM 341442), and 334374 & 334375 for the Euro front shocks. I am asking KYB if they can comment on relative damping of those vs USDM stock or US GR2’s. And perhaps they sell matching springs under their K-Flex brand (or otherwise). Initial efforts pointed to different sizing, but this may be consistent with the ride-height difference going to the BTS, which MIGHT be the same height as most non-US Outbacks. I’ll report back with any useful info I come up with.

In the meantime, I’m trying to also gauge whether just going from a stock USDM Outback suspension to a Euro, Japan, or Australian spec Outback would, in and of itself, be a huge improvement. That assumes there is a non-self-leveling non-USDM version. If it turns out the euro-KYB option is a slight upgrade over that, the combined effect might be significant enough for a US owner to spend money on. My hope is that that approach plus a rear swaybar, and maybe some bushings would still be $600+ cheaper than just the BTS kit itself (which requires additional parts anyway).

If this doesn't work out, I might give in and buy the BTS. My kids don't need shoes, the bank doesn't need that mortgage payment, and I've lived on Ramin noodles before.

I may also start a new thread, since I am trying to get fresh input from non-US owners who may not be interested in this thread. Any ediquette guidance would be appreciated.

Edited by Impatient

• 1 month later...
I've got an email in to HKC-Speed, I can't take it anymore. I'm finally taking the plunge and fixing this crappy suspension properly. I want to adjust my alignment at the same time so I stop wearing out the edges of my tires.

Curious as to the results...or status. I shouldn't impose, but I will be in Hood River (and even Portland) in about a month. Would love to check out your BTS install if you did it. I've been leaning toward the cheaper GR2 route, but am having to be patient with KYB';s tech support answering a few questions. Have to admit though I pestered them quite a bit trying to see if Euro KYB's would be better (answer: probably...but I will probably never know for sure). I've pretty much worn out my welcome with them. Check out thread

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/81-wheels-tires-brakes-suspension/24725-replace-rear-shocks-05-outback-6.html

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread to see if this happened or not, but my 05 Outback XT needs some serious suspension help. Please count me in on any group buy. I have zero concern and would probably even prefer the lowered ride height if the trade off is better handling.

Tos

^^^^^^^^^^^

there isn't any group buy. Member rb5 researched it and found what seems to be the best deal on the bilstein kit and no group participation is required. Everyone makes their own purchase at the current exchange rate and shipping costs.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe that the source for the kit is hkc, found at http://www.hkc-speed.com/index.php

I'm just going to go the Bilstein HD route. It'll lower the car some, but it should be worth it. For springs, I'm actually thinking about using the stock Outback springs. Side-by-side with LGT wagon rear struts, they look to have the same length (in Duffman's thread), so they should work alright. I just wonder how the fronts compare.

If that works, without any other mods, let us know. I think you'll need only front B-spec top hats.

As for the (front) struts, the critical dimension is clearance between the spring perch & tire, I think.

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I don't see why it would be an issue. People have done it before with the Outback (albeit using further lowering springs).

You DO need the front top hats and a pair of dust boots, but that's no real issue.

We'll see. It's these struts or rotors for my Brembos.

Sorry for the underlines, I've turned it on somehow and can't get it to turn back off.

Of the seven options here: http://www.hkc-speed.com/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=72

All of them seem to be out of stock, which doesn't seem to help much. I'll send an email asking if they expect to get more stock.

I'm pretty sure I need the shocks and struts, but which springs and bars are worth the money, and/or absolutely required?

Thanks

Edited by Tos
underlines

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished the thread and had a question. I am not able to do this right now, but am considering it in the upcoming months. The car is fun, but I vehemently dislike the stock suspension.

Does the $1800 kit from HKC include everything I need for the install or are springs/extra goodies needed?

Is the kit from HKC an email only thing or is it listed on their website somewhere?

I looked around and could only find an $800 Bilstein product here

Hah - Thanks. Just read through those as well. Answered my questions.

Changed my mind, put another project on hold and decided I want to do this. Sent an email off to HKC yesterday and am waiting for a response. If they can get me the kit at close to the quoted price from May I'm going to pull the trigger.

I am going to try Bilstein HDs, and Rallitek springs with spacers if need be. I should have everything delivered and on the car in a couple of weeks. Will let you know how it works out.