LegacyGT.com

Hole on top of engine

So after I got my car all put back together after doing my clutch, I noticed an opening on the top of the very back of my engine, passengers side underneath the intercooler. It's about the same size as the hole for the clutch fork on top of the bell housing and also in a similar location but in pretty sure it's on the engine side. You can look down it and see your flywheel. Both me and my mechanic buddy thought it was weird that its there and not covered with some sorta boot or something. I feel like so much dirt and dust could get down there and ruin my brand new clutch. Does anyone know if there is supposed to be a boot covering this hole?

If you're worried about a little dirt and dust ruining your new clutch that's made out of steel, weighs 30 pounds and spins at 5k rpms, you should lock yourself in your house now and never come out. :lol:

That hole is normal and there is no rubber boot or plate that goes over it.

that is where you used to use a timing light to set timing on subarus when they had distributors. There should be a plug there.

Well, I just learned something new today. Thanks!! Never looked down there on my 2012, and my 1992 doesn't have one, I can see the flywheel, so I guess I just assumed.

OP, you need a timing hole plug. This part number should do it.

http://parts.cioccasubaru.com/p/Subaru__/PLUG-TIMING-HOLE/49223646/11413AA033.html

So I guess if dirt and dust can't ruin my new clutch I shouldn't have bothered cleaning the flywheel and pressure plate thoroughly with brake cleaner before I installed it...I'm pretty sure dirt and dust can absolutely **** a clutch

If that were true, the clutch dust that gets generated would destroy the clutch itself. I'd be more worried about not having the plug in the hole because it will allow all the clutch dust to escape and make a mess.

I haven't had to do much work on the automatic transmission Subarus, but I've always assumed the hole was there to provide easy access for the flexplate bolts to be removed.

So I guess if dirt and dust can't ruin my new clutch I shouldn't have bothered cleaning the flywheel and pressure plate thoroughly with brake cleaner before I installed it...I'm pretty sure dirt and dust can absolutely **** a clutch

Pretty sure gravel, stones or a dropped bolt might **** your shiny new clutch, but dust, probably not because it makes its own dust as it wears, and as you know, it's dirtier than a whore's taco hammock in there.

You're welcome for the part number. ;)

You probably didn't need to clean the flywheel, but you should have resurfaced it and the machine shop would have cleaned it for you. And why would you clean a new pressure plate? Oh, you only replaced the disc?

Throw a piece of duct tape over the whole and move on.

Or go to the dealer and order the rubber plug that belongs in the hole.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nah I got a whole new clutch kit. Exedy stage 1 with single mass flywheel. Thanks for the help dewds

where did you order the clutch from? good price? im getting ready to buy a new one for my car and im trying to find a good deal :) thanks!

03 WRB WRX (RIP)

04 JBP STI (sold)

07 DGM Legacy GT (RIP)

12 OBP STI (DD)

Archived