LegacyGT.com

New Legacy Engines In 2016? (2.0 Turbo & Smaller 6 Cylinder)

thejammonster

Article Here

I'm sorry if this is buried in one of the 2015 Legacy hate-fests but I didn't see it anywhere else. This article seems to suggest it could be possible for these engines to hit the Legacy this year but that doesn't seem likely. It doesn't guarantee the return of the GT but it would be some sorely missed horsepower in the Legacy lineup.

The Legacy is very competitive at 256HP, but it for sure is at the low end of the spectrum in the midsize segment, but most of those cars are FWD, so who cares.

Among other well equipped 2014/2015 AWD sedans in the $35k range it's right in the middle and very competitive.

Chrysler with their 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine is putting out the whooping 295HP in their 2015 200S/C AWD.

Fords 2.0-liter EcoBoost Turbo in the Fusion AWD is 240HP

The bigger issue is efficiency.

Chryslers 295HP engine has a respectable 20 city / 31 hwy

Ford at 240HP is at 22/31

The Subaru Legacy 6-cyl 3.6 offers 20/28 mpg

Subaru is way down on power compared to the Chrysler and will have slightly lower MPG performance as well.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the term 'horsepower' so literally, at least with the 6 cylinder. I have a 2013 3.6R and it does well with 256HP but it is a marked step down from my previous 2010 2.5 GT. With the 4 cylinder, though, the current models are definitely lacking. I believe the 2.5i has something like 170HP. I agree with the fuel efficiency issue. My 3.6R is rated for 20/28 but I average more around 18 MPG (almost all city driving) which is pretty terrible. I was at the dealership for routine service a couple weeks ago and the 2015 3.6 with CVT is rated for 23 MPG city and I think 31 MPG highway. That is definitely more competitive but I would like to see a new, smaller 6 cylinder with even better numbers for next year.

Have we seen mpg ratings yet for the new Legacy with 3.6 & HT-CVT?

Per autoblog.com

http://m.autoblog.com/2014/02/06/2015-subaru-legacy-chicago-2014/

The 3.6-liter boxer six-cylinder is unchanged at 256 hp and 247 lb-ft. Fuel economy benefits from the new platform with the 2.5-liter model rated at an estimated 26/36/30 miles per gallon city/highway/combined, a boost of 2/4/3 mpg, respectively, over the previous generation. The 3.6-liter also sees a modest rise to 20/28/23 mpg, 2/3/3 mpg better respectively

The Legacy is very competitive at 256HP, but it for sure is at the low end of the spectrum in the midsize segment, but most of those cars are FWD, so who cares.

Among other well equipped 2014/2015 AWD sedans in the $35k range it's right in the middle and very competitive.

Chrysler with their 3.6L Pentastar V6 engine is putting out the whooping 295HP in their 2015 200S/C AWD.

Fords 2.0-liter EcoBoost Turbo in the Fusion AWD is 240HP

The bigger issue is efficiency.

Chryslers 295HP engine has a respectable 20 city / 31 hwy

Ford at 240HP is at 22/31

The Subaru Legacy 6-cyl 3.6 offers 20/28 mpg

Subaru is way down on power compared to the Chrysler and will have slightly lower MPG performance as well.

More HP means what, bragging rights? Doesn't mean it's any faster.

More HP means what, bragging rights?

Oh the irony...

It doesn't guarantee the return of the GT but it would be some sorely missed horsepower in the Legacy lineup.

Why are asking for more HP then?

As to your 2nd point about HP, it wasn't the point. Chrysler has a pretty hefty 50hp advantage with the direct injection pentastar V6 in a 3,575 lb AWD car, and still gets better fuel economy.

The point is out the gate, the penalty of lazily recycling 6 year old engine tech is showing.

Lastly...

Doesn't mean it's any faster.

It doesn't, but since that same Pentastar V6 hefts the 4000lbs dodge Charger around in sub 7 seconds, a 3,575lbs 200S should be "faster enough". Though Subaru could certainly do equal or better with their 2.0DIT

Oh the irony...

Chrysler has a pretty hefty 50hp advantage with the direct injection pentastar V6 in a 3,575 lb AWD car, and still gets better fuel economy.

Pentastar is not direct-injected. But it is an amazing engine in my Jeep.

Pentastar is not direct-injected. But it is an amazing engine in my Jeep.

You're correct. I misspoke. It is not direct injection.

Though I have driven the Charger and that Pentastar is pretty awesome. It's specs are 3.6-liter, producing 292 horsepower at 6,350 rpm and 260 lb-ft of torque at 4,800 rpm.

Engine looks tweaked for the new 200S/C at 295 horsepower and 262 lb.-ft. of torque.

That's a hell of a lot of power for the bread and butter mid size segment...with AWD. Hopefully Subaru responds and steps their game up accordingly.

ItalianLegacy and I are already up there and a bit beyond with our 3.6Rs with just simple bolt-ons (intake/exhaust) and a tune.

Pre-intake, with just a catback exhaust and with a Mar/Apr-2013 tune, I was putting down 305-308hp and 331 lb-ft of torque.

The stock cam timings and fuel maps on the 3.6R are far from optimal and likely a function of the stock AKI 87 relaxed octane requirement. The other thing that chokes the engine is the stock exhaust back pressure.

With intake, cat-back exhaust and a set of exhaust headers (with metal or other high-flow cats) this engine can easily output close to 300wHP which is respectable and should be what Subaru could target with a new FZ30DI or FZ30DIT.

They supposedly targeted Porsche with the suspension/chassis tweaks done to the new WRX/STI/Levorg, now they should do the same with the boxer engines. 3.4 and 3.8L Porsche H6s and come to at least 75%-80 their output. Nothing extraordinary or too expensive anymore.

That depends, if tuned well, fuel consumption can either remain the same as stock or even decrease. Part of the reason - better AFR (3.6R runs too rich across a few load/rpm scenarios); more torque (we've seen 50-80 to as much as 100 lb-ft of extra torque, especially down low); improved cam timing.

Sure, if we drive the cars like we stole them and make full use of the extra power, fuel consumption suffers and can easily dip below stock levels and into STI territory.

However, under normal daily driving conditions - I usually average an extra 10-15% miles per tankful vs. pre-tune and intake/exhaust install.

This duality is even more pronounced with tuning a turbo/diesel. It is possible to tune a turbo diesel for either power/torque increases or vastly improved fuel economy. All depends on what EGTs are reasonably safe with the present exhaust system and DPFs.

Archived